Most Racist Gimmicks in Wrestling? You decide...

robinbobs

Was it Bill Watts who wanted to do a slave stable with a plantation owner as the manager?

Thats interesting, who do you think would have made a good stable? I'm pondering..

Barry Windham as "The Stablemaster"

Ron Simmons

Ernie Ladd

Freddie Blassie (He was Jewish)

Great kabuki

Leroy Bellingy

1. Are you pissed?

2. Why would they have made a good stable? (I am aware you're taking the piss but may as well ask)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of racism in wrestling I just watched an episode of Wrestling Challenge from march 1985 which featured Paul Orndorff making monkey noises and saying porch monkeys on Piper's Pit.

It's pretty shocking what was considered acceptable back then.

Was there any particular reason for a Black Panther gimmick stable in the mid 90s? It's a bit past their heyday, a lot of the references were 20 plus years out of date.

Was it just a case of "we reckon we could get away with it now"? It's a pretty edgy idea, definitely bordering on racist although I don't think it really came across like that in the end.

The Mexicools was a proper straight up racist stable though. Take 3 fine, well known Mexican luchadores and make them dress like crips and drive lawnmowers.

Was it just a case of "we reckon we could get away with it now"? It's a pretty edgy idea, definitely bordering on racist although I don't think it really came across like that in the end.

If thats true, we may see the debut of the first AIDS riddled wrestler. Thats been long enough now right?

Was there any particular reason for a Black Panther gimmick stable in the mid 90s? It's a bit past their heyday, a lot of the references were 20 plus years out of date.

Was Farrakhan not pretty notorious around this time? I know the Million Man March took place in the mid-90s, so maybe it was more topical than it seems in hindsight. There were definitely a few nods to the Nation of Islam in both the naming of the group and the way D-Lo and the entourage dressed initially.

Archived