RIP Matt Borne

Ant

There's no way Hogan was ever facing Doink at Wrestlemania 9, surely?!

This was Vince Mcmahons original idea but Hogan voided it,

Doink was then going to face British Bulldog but he refused the idea and got fired.

Wasn't Davey Boy under contract to WCW in 93?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I watched him be a clown about 20 years ago, this is the most devastating news of all time I'm so upset!

Fuck off.

I've been watching loads of early Doink-era stuff recently and even though the character is seen as a bit of a joke these days, he did a cracking job with Doink, played the angles superbly and had a bunch of cracking matches. A pretty underrated guy, I think.

Was his Big Josh stuff any good? I haven't happened across him in my 1990s WCW hunt so far.

The Big Josh character was a little hokey, but the fact that he was such a good worker, he got a reasonable mid-card push. He often teamed with Captain Mike Rotundo and Norman the Lunatic in 3 man matches. Not the highlight of his career, but not a massive embarrasment.

Really sad to hear the news. When Jackie Fargo died the other day, It felt such a nice change that a wrestler had lived a long life. Just too many die way too young.

Doink was then going to face British Bulldog but he refused the idea and got fired.

Davey Boy went to WCW when he got fired,

The original finish of The Doink vs Crush match at Wrestlemania sounded amazing

but because of the dirtsheets this was changed at last minute.

EVERY ex-wrestler of a certain era says 'yeah, I was due to face Hogan at such-and-such but the bastard vetoed it' with the inference that they could have been a massive star if it wasn't for Hulk.

It's bollocks.

Anyway, what a shame.

Wrestlers, in general, have shocking longevity. I'd love to see a comparison against other sports/touring entertainment product.

Another ex-wrestler story per chance?

You're hitting all the cliche's; Hogan this, dirt sheets that.

When you're next free, I've got the lease to the Eiffel Tower and I'm looking to sell.

• Paid Members

Just because he told you on an interview, doesnt make it true. The idea that Hulk Hogan was going to make his comeback to wrestling after a year off to wrestle a bloke in a clown suit is a bigger joke than any gag Doink ever told.

• Paid Members
EVERY ex-wrestler of a certain era says 'yeah, I was due to face Hogan at such-and-such but the bastard vetoed it' with the inference that they could have been a massive star if it wasn't for Hulk.

It's bollocks.

Anyway, what a shame.

Wrestlers, in general, have shocking longevity. I'd love to see a comparison against other sports/touring entertainment product.

Another ex-wrestler story per chance?

You're hitting all the cliche's; Hogan this, dirt sheets that.

When you're next free, I've got the lease to the Eiffel Tower and I'm looking to sell.

Go to his bastarding fucking interview that he's shilling all over this very-much-ruined RIP thread, and you'll heard him piss his fucking pants about getting to interview a good hand whose career didn't go as far as it should have done. Honestly, you can hear the piss.

Davey Boy went to WCW when he got fired,

Misread that.

I always thought Bulldog was let go because he was roided up and they were looking to clean up the company.

I was just saying my personal memories of him, I am sorry you didnt understand that,

I do think if Doink and Hulk Hogan would have had their Wrestlemania 1993 match

could have been a memorable feud,

I understand it fine. You got to speak to a wrestler, and were such a fan boy you didn't think for a second that he might be working you. Y'know, because he was a worker and all.

As has already been pointed out, Bulldog was in WCW in 93, he left WWF in 92. That immediately tells you he and by extension you are talking bollocks.

What was the original finish to Crush v Doink that got changed then? Never heard anything about that.

I wondered that too but was scared to ask in case I got told to listen to an interview . . .

I am sorry for offending anyone.

The originally planned finish for Crush vs. Doink was for Crush to put his head vice finisher on Doink. Doink was then to activate a mechanism around his waist which would trigger tubes hidden inside a false compartment attached to his head. Multi-colored matter would explode ten feet out in different directions from the top of Doink's head, blinding Crush and costing him the match. However, these plans were canceled when word of the stunt got out to Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer newsletter beforehand.

The originally planned finish for Crush vs. Doink was for Crush to put his head vice finisher on Doink. Doink was then to activate a mechanism around his waist which would trigger tubes hidden inside a false compartment attached to his head. Multi-colored matter would explode ten feet out in different directions from the top of Doink's head, blinding Crush and costing him the match. However, these plans were canceled when word of the stunt got out to Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer newsletter beforehand.

That sounds interesting, but I think I think I like how it turned out.

Did I genuinely just read what I think I read?

Archived