RIP Matt Borne

Ant

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread will peak if it turns out that the Stone Cold character was written for Doink, but it got canned when Hulk Hogan pointed out it was quicker to drink from a can, as opposed to a lapel-mounted squirting flower.

RIP sad news. My favourite Doink moments are when Jericho dressed as him to attack Regaland the time he got absolutely murdered by Benoit on smackdown. I appreciate that may not actually have been Matt Borne in the latter case but still.

Probably not the best wording to use for a number of reasons...

Really sad to hear about this news.

Id highly recommend any of his 3 matches he had with Curt Hennig back in 1993 in KOTR qualifying matches. Each one had me on the edge of my seat.

Have to give a shout out for that 2/3 falls match he had with Marty Jannetty on Raw.

Bit of shock that, loved Borne's heel Doink, such an absolute dick who you wanted to see the likes of Crush, Bret and Savage beat the face paint off. 56 is no age to die really.

On a side note shame the way this thread has gone down, should be an R.I.P thread not a cheap plug

Just found this on Youtube a promo by Borne in a sort of Doink/Raven hybrid filmed just 5 months ago

And to lighten the mood, some matches

and

• Paid Members

My favourite memory of him was filling a bucket full of water and throwing it right in Bruce Hart's face, when he'd previously told him that he was going to throw confetti at him.

EDIT: thread has already been derailed by a load of shite, but someone on another forum brilliantly wrote "Bob Newhart, everybody!" when the RIP Doink thread was posted. Great reference.

• Paid Members
Doink was fucking awful, represents a lot of the things I hate about WWF in that era. No loss to the wrestling world imo. Sad for the family though.

Man you should see his Mid South work and his stuff in ECW. Really alright stuff well worth it. If not that check him against Double A from WCW SN in 1992. Wasn't all just Arn that, he was a good hand Matt Borne.

• Paid Members
Doink was fucking awful, represents a lot of the things I hate about WWF in that era.

Face Doink, maybe. "A wrestler that's also a clown" is shite, just like the plumbers and dustbin men. Heel Doink was amazing and wrestled some of the best matches on the shows, and was one of the best things not named Steiner about the WWF in 1993.

I always thought Bulldog was let go because he was roided up and they were looking to clean up the company.

Davey was let go because Warrior failed a drugs test for roids and told Vince that Davey helped him get them off a bloke when they were over here. In Bret's book he does mention that in the weeks prior to the SNME taping of October 92 that Davey was going to be working with (and losing to) Doink in the near future.

• Moderators

I'd say the biggest swing and miss of his life is that WCW gave him Big Josh when he could have been an upper echelon worker there during the Dangerous Alliance days. His PNW work is fantastic, superb stuff.

Great loss, great wrestler, RIP.

Archived