RIP Matt Borne

Ant

• Paid Members
RIP sad news. My favourite Doink moments are when Jericho dressed as him to attack Regaland the time he got absolutely murdered by Benoit on smackdown. I appreciate that may not actually have been Matt Borne in the latter case but still.

Probably not the best wording to use for a number of reasons...

Oh that was completely intentional. :)

I never saw much of Doink's stuff because I've never really liked mainstream wrestling pre 1997. I did catch a match of his against Bret Hart which was fun though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Non-mainstream wrestling pre-1997 was fucking awful though by and large. Have you ever sat through an indie card from then, and a proper indie not ECW? Or Savoldi's ICW showing that Vic Steamboat vs Atlas match OVER AND OVER AGAIN, or even worse... Global.

• Paid Members

Nope never! I got into wrestling in 2000 and subsequently explored back a few years to find I enjoyed a lot of that stuff. But generally anything prior to the Michaels-Taker HIAC match hasn't gripped me, to the point that I despise the cartoony 80s which probably helps explain why the Attitude Era is by far my favourite thing in wrestling ever. When I said "mainstream" I was very much thinking of ECW as besides them I've only seen a handful of other indie promotions from the 90s - the Japanese deathmatches, a few AAA bouts on a couple of compilations and various matches from WWE superstar profile dvds from territories before finding fame. Seems a strange idea in this day and age that the term "indie wrestling" didn't always mean technical skills, head drops and flippedy-floppy silliness.

• Moderators

I've never considered indie stuff to be overly technical myself, but mind I reckon the best technical worker is someone like Bokcwinkel and no-one on the indies has come close.

If you REALLY want to watch some pre-97 shite I suggest Herb Abrams' UWF. It's the ebola virus of wrestling, yet somehow hypnotic. One match with Mad Man Pondo in it under the name of Pongo as Bruno Sammartino and Lou Albano bury the shit out of him to the company owner who joins them on commentary asking questions like "Why do you hire these scrubs like Pongo?" and the like is wrestling at it's best.

• Paid Members
There's no way Hogan was ever facing Doink at Wrestlemania 9, surely?!

This was Vince Mcmahons original idea but Hogan voided it,

Doink was then going to face British Bulldog but he refused the idea and got fired.

Bulldog's *wife* refused the idea. He probably wasn't getting his nookie if he lost to Doink. Bulldog would have went along with it.

Match was supposed to be the plan if Bulldog didn't get himself fired before Survivor Series 1992. Bulldog in Crush's spot.

Sad news. I bought the first year of Raw in it's entirety last year and Bourne plays a big role. He was absolutely class. One match in particular, a 2/3 falls match with Jannetty, is blinding. Really worth a check out.

EDIT: Here's him just this April, looking cool as..

e0fh.jpg

RIP

When was Borne's last appearance on WWE TV? I remember Doink coming to the ring at Raw 1000 for the culmination of the 'Heath Slater v Legends' angle, but was that Borne under the facepaint? I know Brooklyn Brawler has played Doink for cameo appearances at times in WWE.

Sad news. I bought the first year of Raw in it's entirety last year and Bourne plays a big role. He was absolutely class. One match in particular, a 2/3 falls match with Jannetty, is blinding. Really worth a check out.

EDIT: Here's him just this April, looking cool as..

e0fh.jpg

RIP

It's a belter of a picture but I thought I'd read at the time it was Ray Apollo.

• Paid Members
l.jpg

Call off the quest to find the best wrestling picture of all time. This has Skinner, Doink, Pete Gas and Steve Blackman.

l.jpg

It's clear as day now who inspired Shawn Michaels' current look.

As I read that I remembered him chewing tobacco during a shoot. Michaels is Skinner.

I actually thought that was Shawn, had to go and look it up before I realized it was Keirn

You can be forgiven, even Trips looks like he's mistaken Keirn for Michaels.

Archived