RIP Matt Borne

Ant

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Where is that picture from?

No. That was Brooklyn Brawler. Bourne's last appearance was probably the 15th Anniversary Raw in 2007. My memory of it was two Doinks from the King of the Ring 1993 picture:

l.jpg

• Paid Members
Was Steve Keirn the other Doint at WrestleMania 9 and how many people have been Doink since the gimmick first started?

Yes.

Off the top of my head - not including people that have played the gimmick outside the WWF/E -

Matt Osbourne (original heel Doink)

Steve Keirn

Steve Lombardi

Ray Apollo (face Doink)

Nick Dinsmore (July 2003 appearances)

... also not including people that in kayfabe we knew were just pretending to be Doink - Bushwhackers, Men on a Mission, Double J, Jericho. There are probably others.

• Paid Members

Someone completely different did it at WrestleMania 17. I remember a bit of a "who's he?" reaction when they announced his name on the internet and in Power Slam. Brawler was doing the Kimchee gimmick that night, so they had to get someone else as Doink. Everyone says Ray Apollo, though.

My favourite Doink story is the one in Jericho's book, when Jericho dressed up as Doink to do something to Regal. Shawn Michaels was there, pilled out of his mind, and couldn't get his head round what Jericho was doing. He thought the WWF had cast Jericho as the new Doink, and kept complaining despite Y2J trying to explain what was happening. I think that was the same night Michaels was meant to return but Triple H grassed him up to Vince for being off his tits and his return ended up being pushed back a year, during which time he got clean. It was such a blessing in disguise for him that he sorted himself out before he came back. If that night had gone differently, Michaels' legacy (and family life) could be so different now.

• Paid Members
My favourite Doink story is the one in Jericho's book, when Jericho dressed up as Doink to do something to Regal. Shawn Michaels was there, pilled out of his mind, and couldn't get his head round what Jericho was doing. He thought the WWF had cast Jericho as the new Doink, and kept complaining despite Y2J trying to explain what was happening.

Yeah. Word for word, it completely cracks me up, rightly or wrongly.

"What's going on, Chris?" he said, his eyelids drooping and his speech slurring. "Are you doing the Doink gimmick now?"

"No, I'm just doing it for tonight. I'm ambushing Regal.

"So you're gonna be Doink now?"

"No, no. I'm just doing it for one night as a way to surprise Regal."

"But why do you have to be Doink?" he asked again, slowly swaying back and forth.

"But I'm not Doink, Shawn. It's just for tonight."

"But why would they make you Doink?"

I felt like Abbott and Costello, except instead of Who's on First, the routine was Who's on Drugs, and it wasn't me.

"I'm not Doink. It's just an angle for tonight."

Shawn shook his head and waltzed away. "I don't like it, they should never have made you Doink."

• Paid Members

Last picture of Borne as Doink from last week.

Marty_Jannetty_and_Doink.jpg

Seriously any convention you look for you will see Marty Jannetty generally bothering the wrestler who is there. Marty's always jumping about making it known he's there. How he's broke I'll never know. It seems like he's at one of these conventions every single day.

Archived