The actual proper Wrestlemania 29 Thread

Up Chuck

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the show shown that you can bring back The Rock and Lesnar back but Undertaker will always be the biggest pro in making the crowd believe in a match and making something feel special.

It was all a bit TV/B show up until Punk-Taker. I did like The Shield match though and the tag titles match was good, purely for Ziggler's homage to Bryan's match from last year, as well as Bryan finally getting his Mania moment and he seemed to be relishing the moment, nice to see him finally get a chance to go on the big stage.

Undertaker-Punk may have not been a classic but it had the grand entrances, the zombie hands in the smoke as Taker walked out were fantastic as was Living Colour playing Punk to the ring. The first half of the match was a little clunky but both guys did everything to raise the bar towards the end and it had the action expected of a streak match. Match of the night, nothing extraordinary though.

It was great to see Lesnar in a big stadium environment again, but the match did nothing for me apart from the belly to belly suplex on the outside followed by Brock's scream. The pair don't have any chemistry together and despite Triple H and Heyman talking people into the match it never really got going, daft thing is; it wasn't any good last time around either so they worked themselves into a corner with this one. Glad that the pair can move on to new opponents in the future.

The main event suffered for a number of reasons, Rocky hasn't been putting on matches of a high standard since coming back, too much going for the AA and Rock bottom throughout the match and the 'passing of the torch' was contrived. I'm glad to see the end of this feud now, it hasn't led to any interesting development for Cena going forwards, the match didn't deliver and to make matters worse it happened in a stage where the crowd expect the best matches of the year and instead felt the match was unsatisying with an even more unsatisyfing pay off.

Pains me to type such a critical review but the biggest show of the year should be the deliver. However, now that WWE have got all the forced feuds out of the way perhaps a more organic and interesting Wreslemania 30 is on the horizon.

I thought the card had huge potential and was very close to buying a PPV for the first time in years. Was far too tired and ended up just reading the results this morning. Couldn't believe how lacklustre a show they put out.

I didn't think anything would top visitorwhatever's post for stupidest in the thread because he's a highest order dribbler, but this quote might have it beat. It was a lacklustre show, but you don't know that unless you've seen it, Winston.

It won't go down as one of the best Wrestelemanias, but I thought it was a bit better than most. All the matches I was interested in were at least entertaining to some degree, in particular the opening 6 man and Punk/Taker.

Punk/Taker exceeded all my expectation as a match on it's own, it was great stuff and they made the believability of the streak ending about as real as they possibly could given the circumstances. I think maybe because the outcome was so predictable, there also ended up being about as much intrigue in how long Punk would hang with Taker, and it was great to see him so competitive. Punk genuinely must be about the best in the world these days, especially considering he's already at a disadvantage in that he isn't exactly gifted with Hollywood looks or body, as he so often gets mocked on here for

As a match in it's own right, it was exceptional. My only problem however was that once the bell went, that's pretty much all it was - a match. It really didn't play off the backstory as much as it could've. There wasn't any particular increase in Undertakers intensity or hate levels, and other than a few token spots and comments, there wasn't really much emphasis on Punk trying to piss Taker off to weasel a dq etc. A minor point admittedly when the match was so good. I had a few fears that Vince might've had that as this years short match, after all the midcard stuff got plenty time, so I was relieved in that respect too!

That same criticism could also be levelled at Hunter/Brock imo. I did enjoy it, and thought that Brock's performance was particularly good, but taking into account the buildup, I definitely think that match could've been 10 minutes short with a higher tempo, rather than a slow, methodical hard hitting match. they never really captured the hate as well as they could've, and whilst still decent, again it just came off to me as just another match which could've been between two guys with no history.

Cena/Rock was shite, but I had no interest in that beforehand anyway, so anything I got out of it was always going to be a bonus. The ballet towards the end looked particularly bad imo.

Down the card, the 6 man was great apart from Show being the bad one after a whole month or so of being a standup guy. I really hope they keep the Shield together for a while as they're excellent as they are, but knowing the WWE, it probably won't last throughout 2013. They'll mistakenly see great potential in a singles run for one of them, split them up, and they'll probably all be Superstars mainstays towards the end of the year.

Down the card, Ryback/Henry had it's moments, as did Jericho/Fandango and the tag team match. Swagger/Del Rio went about 10 minutes too long, but I was amused at Swagger getting the jobbers entrance at Wrestlemania. Shame they couldn't have went one better by having him a million miles away from the show as he's utterly horrible and has no place on a show of such magnitude. I hope he gets fired now. Keep Zeb though.

I also was a bit surprised by how quickly it all moved along, and how few celebrities, backstage skits were involved.

So yeah, not a classic by any means, but we haven't been spoiled by Wrestlemanias in recent years, so it wasn't really much worse than most in recent memory. It was far better than 27 anyway.

Me and my mates really enjoyed the last three matches. ADR vs Swagger wasn't too bad either. Personally, I wasn't a fan of Ryback vs Henry which was a shame as I was looking forward to it. Seemed a bit odd having Ryback lose and then hit the Shellshocked. He just can't win the big PPV match can he?

Was expecting a Ziggler cash in, he's only got roughly a month left to cash in hasn't he?

Haha, I can't really argue with that. I'm barely even a part time fan now but I can still have an opinion.

Still glad I never wasted money on the event though and there is no signs the company is moving in a better direction. Seen the term 'status quo' used loads today and that sums it up perfectly. Same old shit.

Out with the Cena, Lesnar, Rock and HHH. And in with Punk, Ziggler, Bryan.. (Cesaro, Wyatt, Fandango..) Actually have such a talented roster just now but they seem to scared to give these mainly smaller athletes the chance to run with it.

Out with the Cena, Lesnar, Rock and HHH. And in with Punk, Ziggler, Bryan.. (Cesaro, Wyatt, Fandango..) Actually have such a talented roster just now but they seem to scared to give these mainly smaller athletes the chance to run with it.

I agree, they should push the smaller wrestlers more. Just imagine if CM Punk had gotten a 400+ day reign a WWE Champion...

I thought it was ok up to the point after Taker/Punk, then it went flat. They really should have put one of the earlier matches on in between Taker/Punk and HHH/Lesnar to let the crowd calm down and maybe cut out Diddy to put in the 8 Person tag in between HHH/Lesnar and Rock/Cena.

On a side note, was reading Twitter after the HHH/Lesnar match and noticed some tweets by Dean Ayass absolutely slating Triple H like it's 2003 and using the hashtag #egooverbusiness. Any idea what his problem with Triple H is cos I've noticed he's done it a few times whenever The Game has been on TV

I actually really enjoyed it. Sat on TeamSpeak with a bunch of mates watching it and getting dead into it. We were nearly crying every time Punk pinned Undertaker just because even though we 'knew' Punk wasn't going to end the steak there's always the chance of something happening.

Lesnar/HHH was my favourite match though, just two big lads having a fight and the entire Kimura sequence was unreal, really brought me into it. Normally a big Cena and Rock fan but didn't enjoy the main too much apart from the spot that everyone enjoyed, could have done with a bit more of that.

I wasn't really feeling this show until a week or so ago. I did eventually get into spirit but as the show wore on, it reminded me why I was so apathetic in the first place. Underwhelming show. Nothing was terrible but nothing was that great either. The big matches were all very predictable and there were no surprises or real Wrestlemania moments.

The undercard was basically just TV quality. The six man tag was a solid opener and the Tag Title match were decent. Jericho/Fandango was not the match I was hoping for at all, it just didn't ever really click and Ryback/Henry was a bit meh. The finish was shit, especially considering he just did the Shellshock afterwards anyway. Why not just have him win with that? Swagger/Del Rio was okay but didn't really feel like a Mania World Title match.

Punk/Taker was the best match on the show. There were some fantastic sequences there and Taker's matches continue to be the real thing that is keeping Mania's special over the last few years. People were talking about the poor chemistry they had in their previous matches but I never thought you can judge it on them, they were only about ten minutes long because Taker was coming back from a bad injury. I really am worried about Wrestlemania once Taker decides to call it a day.

Lesnar/HHH was enjoyable with some great spots but definitely suffered a bit being straight after the Streak match, especially with the slower pace. Did honestly think HHH was gonna make Lesnar tap to the Kimura, which would've been hillarious but they didn't go there. As much as I like Lesnar being back, he does seem limited now and I think you can pretty much expect most of his his matches to be more of a spectacle rather than anything mindblowing.

Rock/Cena was okay but I've just never cared about seeing it again and it was hard to get too excited about it knowing what was going to happen. Thought the People's Elbow faux would've been a great finish however.

The start of the show should have started with a bang. Like last year they had Bryan who is massively over with Mania crowds. Him getting the reaction he got and then getting beaten so quickly was on reflection a perfect opening match for Mania. Show, Orton and Shaemus don't have that with this crowd. The match was good and I thought Ambroses selling was great. The whole story of the match was predicted months ago.

The calling of spots last night at times was horrible. Jericho/Fandango was all about the entrances. When Fandango is on the ring apron and Jericho lying in the ring and the ref loudly says cover to Fandango, I'm totally taken out of the match it's not even the wrestlers calling the match its some agent in the back watching a monitor. The finish was predicted weeks ago.

Really enjoyed the tag title match, mainly for the reaction Bryan gets. As has been said the tip of the hat to Bryans match from last year was a good start. Predicted finish.

Del Rio v Swagger, who cares? predicted finish.

The most set in stone conclusion was Taker/Punk during the course of the match they managed to make you second guess excellent work.

Brock looks like a fucking monster from the waist up. But after HHHs entrance i went on twitter it's lucky he carries a bottle of water to the ring. And seeing Brocks monster face turn to alook of "what the fuck is that" and trying not to laugh in this very serious match was good. I stayed on twitter from here because the matches and commentary needed the added entertainment. During this match the commentary team were shit. The crowd weren't reacting and the commentary team did a bad job of covering it. Predicted finish.

Rock/Cena was awful for me. Why was there so much calling in the ring Cena was just chatting to him in the stf "he's putting the bad mouth on him there". It wasn't a complicated match it's the biggest show why don't they know what they're doing and have to call in such detail. Did something go wrong or was there supposed to be 10 minutes of finisher reversals. Predicted finish.

Things that make Wrestlemania what it is were replaced with adverts and added time to the last two lacklustre matches. It's not like Wrestlemania 27 building to 28 becuase there you had something with the Rocks involvement with Cena. If the idea was to have a lacklustre show so it can be topped be 30 then mission accomplished. Everyting apart from Ryback/Henry was as predicted. When to bed last night feeling flat not buzzing like last year.

Yes I saw your sign saying Rock is a massive. Well done.

"If Cena wins we go online and complain" was a good one. I would've been pissed to be behind the guy with the huge billboard with nothing remotely entertaining written on it. And if you went to Mania with a massive blowup of your own face, you are a massive cunt.

Archived