John Cena; actually BETTER than white bread!

d-d-d-dAz

Seriously? That's what he's best at.

Did you not read the thread?

He MADE Edge. Like, he didn't just gently help him over the top, he knocked Edge out with a club, put him over his shoulder and climbed the ladder for him. As good as Punk is, he's got Cena to thank for actually seeming main event now.

He's a bonafide star maker.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Cena's the only guy that elevates Punk in-ring to BIG TIME WWE Main Event style, and as good a talker as Punk can be, when those to go at it verbally, they're on another planet. I think the Punk/Cena/Vince contract signing on the MITB go-home show and the Punk/Cena/Bret pre-Night of Champions 2012 promos are better than Punk's original Vegas outburst. They're legit proper wrestling show build-up promos, which Cena steers masterfully when Punk can't help himself from pandering to Colt fucking Cabana et al, or forgets he's supposed to be making the arena make noise rather than the internet fans at home.

EDIT: And just briefly again on the Orton feud, I actually thought, against the odds, the Iron Man Match was great. More proof that Cena's a safe bet in any environment, but the Kendo Stick beating in the middle was really good, and I felt the match suited the rapey Viper role Orton had at the time. Cena sold "slow and methodical" like it was an actual thing, rather than a figure of speech invented because a wrestler is slow and boring.

Once again NEWM steals the thoughts out my head and posts them ahead of me. I was going to big up his work with Punk here, particularly those promos, particularly the pre NOC one. I also thought he was just magnificent on the most recent Raw. The two promos he and Rock have had this year to hype their match have made me appreciate them a whole bunch more and fall in love with their story. It's one that has rewarded patience for sure. I was fairly indifferent to the results at 'Mania initially, now i'm excited to see what goes down and what it leaves them both with in the aftermath.

With regard the Orton series, yeah it just went on too long and had too many matches on Raws and other variations on PPV but the Iron Man and the I Quit (which had the Kendo spot I think NEWM) were tremendous. And I thought they complimented each other nicely.

Also, everyone says 'he carried Khali to a good match' as a means to sing his praises but I think the absolute miracle he pulled out of Bobby Lashley is where you should look for that. That was astonishing.

I agree with daz on the idea of heel Cena is a weird one because...what exactly would heel Cena be? I'm really not sure how it would work, but I am intrigued by the idea, yet...the one thing I really love about Cena is the consistency of his character. Which is partly why I loved the segment on Raw and his performance. He portrayed it tremendously but it was the first time his character showed cracks and implied there could be a change in his direction or this match will significantly impact the John Cena we've come to know. Again, I don't know how it would work but i'm intrigued by how it might be played. The beautiful thing about pro-wrestling is there is always options, there's always ways round things. There are no rules. You can make absolutely anything work. The idea that many morons spout that everything that can be done in wrestling has been done and there's nothing new is ridiculous, there always is and Cenas current presentation is proof of that, which is why it's complicated to turn him heel. If he turns on his young fanbase, I guess there's a chance his role would switch in that demwans may turn and take to him and he starts making the kids cry. Either way, if you want him being the protagonist at WrestleMania XXX, surely the strongest face option to stick him against would be Undertaker. But also, sure there isn't any obvious babyfaces to oppose him now, but there's no reason why some wouldn't suddenly become apparent and grow into it, with the aid of Cena making them. For all we know Ryback, Ziggler, maybe Reigns or Rollins could evolve into incredible babyfaces against some sort of heel John Cena. You never know.

He MADE Edge. Like, he didn't just gently help him over the top, he knocked Edge out with a club, put him over his shoulder and climbed the ladder for him. As good as Punk is, he's got Cena to thank for actually seeming main event now.

I wouldn't go quite that far with him carrying Edge. Cena obviously did a lot but I thought Edge brought a lot too, he was the first guy since JBL to get booed consistently against Cena.

I'd like him to turn heel at Wrestlemania because it would be something different. Him beating Rock and then spending the rest of the year ploughing through Punk, Ziggler and Mark Henry as the normal babyface Cena is fine but I think we've basically seen that before.

• Paid Members

I always thought Edge had top level potential, right from 1998, and the fans were ready for him in 2006. It's a good argument, but Edge was good enough to get there for me.

There's plenty of midcarders with potential who have run into Cena, and come out worse on the other side. Some of them might not have been good enough but who else has actually made it?

I love the white-knighting of Cena when anyone dares to say anything against him.

His promo with the Rock on Monday was as good as anything by anyone in a long time. I went from probably not buying the show to wondering how I'm going to justify the $55 outlay to my missus in the space of 20 minutes. There are too many times though, when he is plain annoying, or his jokes are utter shit, or you have to look at his face.

There's a level of denial on both sides regarding his in ring ability. He's a bit like Frank Lampard. Technically very limited compared to his peers, but if you build the team/company around him, he'll score a load of goals/sell a load of PPV's. Like Lampard, he's not as good as the media sometimes make him out to be, nor he is as bad as his detractors say.

The level of menstruation when someone dares question his sanctity is hugely disturbing.

Most of the time he is annoying. What makes it worse is that when he's motivated he is a brilliant, all time great level promo (see recent Raws). In terms of making his opponents look great in ring I think Sheamus does a consistently better job to be honest. That's not to say Sheamus is near Cena's level on anything else though. No one is. It's easy to see why he's The Man in wwe, nobody comes close in terms well rounded, general appeal, and as much I can't stand the smarmy, infantile promo style it's something that none of the other WWE faces seem to be able to overcome either.

Like Lampard, he's not as good as the media sometimes make him out to be, nor he is as bad as his detractors say.

What media out of interest?

That was poorly phrased. I meant fans overly positive opinion of Cena is equivalent to the media's overly positive rating of Lampard. Presumably you don't need examples of the media bumming Lampard.

Who's your babyface for the rest of the year, when The Rock is knocking back cocktails with Vin Diesel and getting blown by a make-up girl?

There's no one there. No one at all.

Rybacks dead as dead can be, Punks proven to be a really poor babyface and Alberto Del Rio is shit.

Your only options are Sheamus, but there is no evidence he is ready for that yet, and Randy Orton, who is fucking desperate for a heel turn himself.

Cena as a heel should elevate the faces he's going against they. The rub a guy that can beat him wouls get should be something that creates stars.

The thing with Cena is, a heel turn doesn't seem to have much point really.

His behaviour causes a large portion of every crowd to hate his fucking bones, but gets the other part of the audience to spend an inordinate amount of cash on his shit.

He's already the best of both worlds, he can be as heel as they want him to be at any time. He can face heels and be white meat, or he can still face faces and play off his reaction. Turning him doesn't really open up possibilities, if anything it just closes some down.

It'd be fun to see him attacking another role, but I don't think it's necessary.

I'm happy for a post Mania path that includes Cena/Henry, Cena/Ryback and whoever else they throw at him.

It freshens things up. This Wrestlemania is uninspiring and worrying. It'll do good business, but it's so short-term. We know Cena is a great face, but eventually he has to turn heel for the good of the business. Faces who you can rely on to draw aren't being made with Cena as top face. Maybe they will as top heel.

I think Cena cheating to beat Rock would make sense. The only stumbling blocks I've only now considered are Make A Wish (but that can't be used to hold him or WWE back) and that it'd likely mean Rock vs. Cena 3 at Mania XXX. That's overkill. There at least needs to be some years gap. Cena vs. Taker is the best Mania XXX main event they could do. I'd say have Cena cheat to win and turn Cena heel then, but that has too much risk of actually turning people off I think. Doing that against Rock doesn't have as much prestige at stake.

I think hes turned alot of oldf fans of the product which does hurt it.
You think wrong.

I don't think that people should brand anyone who can't get into Cena as a moron. It seems to verge on that on here at times. His character isn't going to appeal to everyone. I've spoken to loads of people who are 'casual' fans who don't likr him and a load of fans who are big into wrestling who don't like him. You can't just say 'oh, it's all demwans with their greasy hair and CM Punk tops' because it's not. If the people are saying he never delivers or can't wrestle because he doesn't perform a textbook fisherman suplex, fair enough - there's a point to be made in his defence. But it's not always that. Sometimes, his hero character doesn't appeal - especially in a post-Attitude era. Say what you like about the Attitude era, but it was hugely successful, full of characters and people who watched tend to have fond memories of it.

• Paid Members
The ROHbots will never be satisfied. There's no fucking head-drop in the industry as good and dangerous as the Cenacanrana, and yet he still 'can't work'. Tut.

Who said that?

Archived