John Cena; actually BETTER than white bread!

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I think if he ever stands a chance at turning heel, now is the absolute perfect chance to do it. Imagine right near the end of a 20/30 minute battle between Rock and Cena, and Cena uses a chain or low blows Rock or something equally as heelish. The crowd would turn fucking rabid. Then he spends the next few months saying "I told you I needed to win" and acting as though it was totally legit. Rock vs Cena 3 at Wrestlemania 30 would be intense if Cena was fully heel, especially with that crowd.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's your babyface for the rest of the year, when The Rock is knocking back cocktails with Vin Diesel and getting blown by a make-up girl?

There's no one there. No one at all.

Rybacks dead as dead can be, Punks proven to be a really poor babyface and Alberto Del Rio is shit.

Your only options are Sheamus, but there is no evidence he is ready for that yet, and Randy Orton, who is fucking desperate for a heel turn himself.

• Paid Members

They have Lesnar and Rock at periods of the year if they needs them to draw huge (although their money cuts off a lot of the profit). Cena doesn't really draw much on the B-shows anyway (because the B-shows are usually shit). There are ways to get around it. Its not like the business would die if Cena turned heel. In fact, it would probably be far better. Maybe Punk or Sheamus could be elevated into a top babyface spot if the old babyface fucked off. Warrior had no chance of ever being top face because people still pined for Hogan. Same as in 1996 in WCW. When Hogan turned who were the babyfaces then?

Turning Cena in 2013 is not half as big a deal as it would be if it was 2008/2009. Maybe Cena turning could create enough interest to spike business. Or maybe it'll fuck up in their face. The fear of the latter is why it hasn't happened yet.

Who's your babyface for the rest of the year, when The Rock is knocking back cocktails with Vin Diesel and getting blown by a make-up girl?

There's no one there. No one at all.

Rybacks dead as dead can be, Punks proven to be a really poor babyface and Alberto Del Rio is shit.

Your only options are Sheamus, but there is no evidence he is ready for that yet, and Randy Orton, who is fucking desperate for a heel turn himself.

Will Sheamus ever be "ready" for it? He's 35 years old and doesn't seem to be making any great waves on the face front. He seems to have been coasting on the same wave for ages now.

Ryback would be a brilliant heel for Cena too if the New York crowd actually do the right thing for once in their idiot lives and force WWE into a double turn when he goes over Mark Henry at Mania.

That said, heel Cena has bucketloads of potential regardless of who's on the other side of the fence, just because it's HEEL CENA. If Orton was lobbying for a heel turn then found out Cena was turning, I bet he'd ask to stay face so they could do an opposite-sides run. It would make a few quid for everybody, that would. Punk could be an I-told-you-so cocknose and they could do a heel/heel programme that they would probably pull off against the odds. I don't know if he's sticking around, but babyface Jericho vs Cena could work, and heel Cena would probably work wonders for tepid babyfaces like Sheamus and Del Rio just because he'd be so over. Heel Cena vs old timer face HHH would be a brilliant too.

Who cares about a turn really though, the options are clearly wide open with him holding the belt rather than not, so let's get it back on him quicksharp.

The thing with Cena is, a heel turn doesn't seem to have much point really.

His behaviour causes a large portion of every crowd to hate his fucking bones, but gets the other part of the audience to spend an inordinate amount of cash on his shit.

He's already the best of both worlds, he can be as heel as they want him to be at any time. He can face heels and be white meat, or he can still face faces and play off his reaction. Turning him doesn't really open up possibilities, if anything it just closes some down.

It'd be fun to see him attacking another role, but I don't think it's necessary.

I'm happy for a post Mania path that includes Cena/Henry, Cena/Ryback and whoever else they throw at him.

Cena reminds me of a guy in CMLL. The guy, Rush, is a top technico and a hard working fantastic talent who gets jeered by the hardcore CMLL fans for a variety of reasons. If you turned him rudo then they'd cheer him. I just tend to think the same thing would happen with Cena. Not that it means it wouldn't work (because NWO I suppose), but you wouldn't get him jeered for long I wouldn't have thought. But like Daz says, there's a portion of the audience who love guys who are going against Cena and a portion of the audience who love Cena, you can kind of see why its tempting to leave him where he is in case you lose one of those or even worse both. The other downside with turning Cena heel, I suppose, is there's no one finer at all the off show things he does. He's the figure head of that company and its hard to have him do that if he's a heel I suppose, and its hard to think of somebody else who could do it.

Is there a thing about Cena wanting to stay babyface? Not that it matters, just wondering if I've imagined it?

By all accounts he genuinely adores the out-of-hours stuff he does. He feeds off that shit, I think.

I think he's gone on record as saying doing Make-A-Wish is the greatest honour on earth and he never wants to stop. He's the most requested celebrity, too, and the partnership is great for the company.

Won't somebody think of the children?

I think for the sake of the children, they should leave him how he is. WWE are so much more self aware now that surely they wouldn't have a dying child's happiest memories tainted by Cena saying he doesn't care about the fans...or something like that.

Recently, whenever I have rewatched old matches...its usually always been a Cena match, he does have the big time match feel and a title run against the likes of Henry and the other monsters (as long as its not Big Show again) would actually be quite refreshing.

• Paid Members
Really?

I know there was a time when WWE really wanted it to appear that way, but I just don't think it ever stuck. Orton, if anything, is the blot on Cena's copybook. They just couldn't make that work.

Gun to my head, if I was forced to pick a career opponent I'd have said Edge with CM Punk in the process of making a credible claim, too.

Orton playing with Pyro. Beautiful.

Seriously, I love that trilogy. The I quit match is absolutely brilliant and was one of the matches of that year. Edge is obviously a very arguable case too, I'm not dismissing him, but I love Orton and Cena, it was just massively over done

Cena is terrible. When he tries to be serious he comes across as as really bad tv film actor. When he tries to be funny he isnt. When he tries to be tough his punches and moves look soft. To me personally he is the worst ever thing go happen to the wwe.

I'm not a workrate or what people on here call internet fans- which is strange as they watch wrestling on the internet and bitch about it on forums and chat rooms

. I think hes turned alot of oldf fans of the product which does hurt it.

• Paid Members

There's no way this can be a debate really.

I like Cena overall. I love the heat his matches have. When things come together and magic happens, you want him up there.

On the other hand, there's other times he makes me want to throw things at the TV. It's not what he does, like bad punches or whatever, but what he doesn't do.

He has shown he can carry a gimmick match with Khali, sure. But can he actually put anyone on a higher level than they were before?

I loved the summer of Punk 2011, but it's only watching it again recently I realised just how much Cena brought to the table of that feud. The begging to Vince to have Punk reinstated, the go-home promo and the general way Cena carried himself during the match at MITB really opened my eyes to just how good he was, and how I needed to stop rubbishing him just because it was the 'cool' thing to do at the time. Since then I've been able to rewatch stuff with a new found respect for a man who is a lot better than most fans want to give him credit for.

If this does turn into a review thread, can I put my name down for pre-MITB through to Summerslam 2011?

Archived