DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Last night, I watched Nick of Time starring the Deppster and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I had never heard head nor shite of it in all my days as a movie going cunt, and I just googled “Fast Paced Thrillers” last night, saw this and the premise and cast piqued my interest.

It’s a lovely throwback to noir flicks of old and very reminiscent of Hitchcock, from Badhams camera work, to the score and right down to the self aware mid 20th century style acting and phrasing by all involved.

A lot of people thought it muck, but I’ll give it a good stiff 8! Highly recommended if you’re looking to pass an hour and twenty...

• Paid Members

Indeed'n it is, Houchey sir!
I don't know why it didn't do better business or why I only heard about it twenty years after release, but it was little bastard gem, so it was.

Another real time flick I really enjoyed was Running Time with the great Bruce Campbell.
it's either Running Time or Executive Decision after Eastenders tonight. I've never seen Executive Decision but have been told by a lass I work with that it's really good...

I watched some modern films over Christmas and enjoyed them all.

The new Star Wars was loads of fun. A lot like the original but I don't mind certain films following a golden formula - Police Academy, old school Bond etc. I won't do spoilers and I know there's a separate thread but I came away enthused about the new characters and interested to see where they go with it next, so job done.

The Hateful Eight is a film that will polarize the audience. I really enjoyed it but accept it's length, it's over indulgence and it's gross-out exuberance will not be everyone's cup of coffee ;)

I watched a very good copy of The Revenant on pirate. Another film where Tom Hardy is brilliant despite being absolutely indecipherable throughout. A very good physically performance from Leo, who comes across as a kind of reluctant Bear Grylls with AIDS.

All films recommended, but just fall short of being classics. 

• Moderators

A very good physically performance from Leo, who comes across as a kind of reluctant Bear Grylls with AIDS.

:laugh:

I watched a whole bunch of films over christmas, too. My wife has seemingly gone through life never having watched any, so I am making her watch films I consider to be classics. In this endeavor, I watched My Cousin Vinny for the first time in yonks and it is still every bit as brilliant as I remembered it being. And Marissa Tomei is smoking hot in it.

Three leading UK cinema chains will not show Quentin Tarantino's new movie The Hateful Eight after a dispute with the film's distributor.

Cineworld, its subsidiary Picturehouse and Curzon, which own some 135 cinemas between them, will not screen the film.

Odeon and Vue - the two other biggest chains - will be showing it.

The western, which stars Kurt Russell, Samuel L Jackson and Jennifer Jason Leigh, has had glowing reviews and been nominated for three Golden Globes.

Its distributor, Entertainment Film, said Cineworld and Curzon had decided not to show it because they objected to a deal with Odeon to have the exclusive rights for London's West End.

The Odeon Leicester Square will show the film in a "70mm Ultra Panavision presentation" - a format not used for almost 50 years.

A statement from Entertainment Film said: "Due to the special facilities required for the unique 70mm Ultra Panavision presentation we needed the largest theatre and screen possible in the West End and the Odeon Leicester Square was the natural choice.

"The technical elements and costs involved with this special presentation meant that this would need to be the exclusive West End venue."

Cineworld objected to the fact it could not be shown at one of its West End venues, according to Entertainment Film.

"Cineworld had every opportunity to book the film in their other cinemas across the country on the same basis as other exhibitors and declined to do so," the statement added.

"This is despite the fact that there is no dispute over the financial terms for this release."

'Not able to reach agreement'

Cineworld operates around 100 sites and owns Picturehouse, which runs a further 23 cinemas.

A Cineworld statement said: "We can confirm that The Hateful Eight will not be shown at our cinemas. Unfortunately we were not able to reach an agreement with the movie's distributor."

The distributor said Curzon, meanwhile, was "offered The Hateful Eight in eight out of their 13 sites including the Curzon Victoria but sadly declined due to the 70mm exclusive commitments at the Odeon Leicester Square".

On Twitter, Curzon told fans: "We love a Quentin Tarantino movie but it is with great regret that we will not be showing The Hateful Eight from Friday 8 January.

"On this occasion, the distributor has chosen to screen the film only in 70mm in the West End and in selected venues nationwide

• Paid Members

I saw The Hateful Eight last night (in the cinema like a good boy) and I loved it. Some people have been saying it's too slow in the opening act but I think they're just impatient. It takes it's time to get to the main plot but it's always interesting. Everyone is great in this (except Channing Tatum who was miscast I think) and the tension never stops building but it remains funny throughout. Special mention for Ennio fucking Morricone and his wonderful score too.

• 3 weeks later...

Freaks of Nature- So much potential for a fun cult film wasted. Comes across as trying to be like a cross between Zombieland and 8 Legged Freaks but is closer to the terrible 'Epic/Scary/Date/etc Movie' parody films. Pretty well cast as well but none of the actors are convincing as their characters. Good concept poor execution.

I watched Silver Linings Playbook. My word it was wonderful. JLaw is immense and Bradley Cooper is excellent. Didn't think it would be my thing but it is my thing. That bit in the dance when she pushes her Arse out is my Branquefurters Anne Hathaway getting on the bat bike.

• Awards Moderator

I watched Silver Linings Playbook. My word it was wonderful. JLaw is immense and Bradley Cooper is excellent. Didn't think it would be my thing but it is my thing. That bit in the dance when she pushes her Arse out is my Branquefurters Anne Hathaway getting on the bat bike.

I felt the same about Silver Linings Playbook. I wasn't that fussed until I watched it, then I watched it and absolutely loved it. Excellent, excellent film. And agreed on that bit in the dance!

We watched Monuments Men tonight. I don't remember it doing very well but I thought it was great. I'm a sucker for art and cultural heritage and stuff like that, so the story of these guys trying to track down and save these incredible masterpieces from destruction (or appropriation) was fascinating. Really interesting story, and decently made too, a nice slightly different look at WW2.