DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Resident Evil franchise is such a missed opportunity, quality wise. I'm sure it's made a shed load of cash but you could show video bits from the games and they'd be better films than the tripe Anderson served up. Whatever happened to the Romero planned Resident Evil? Was that ever a goer or just idle fan gossip?

Romero's films for years now have been worse than WS Anderson's anyway. But that first Resident Evil film was so upsetting to me at the time. I didn't even know it was coming out yet, and I found it in a stash of CD-Rs that my brother had when he moved back into my parents' house. I took it to my mate's house to watch, and was mortified that that was the film version of Resident Evil. I think I was expecting an adaptation of the first game rather than that load of shit. My mate loved it though, as loads of people must do with the film series for it to keep going. The only highlight for me was seeing Luis from Dream Team.

LaGoosh, on 24 Oct 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

Paul WS Anderson is definitely my most hated director.

Absolutely. I at least enjoyed the first Transformers movie and Bad Boys, and I kinda liked The Rock as well.

I've had to turn THREE of Anderson's movies off before the end. That's a record. Although I haven't seen Event Horizon, so I suppose I should give it a shot.

Yesterday consisted of Event Horizon, The Master, and The Taking Of Deborah Logan.

I'm a PTA fanboy so obviously I love The Master. Big Phil and Wakeen were astonishingly good, Amy Adams too. Brilliant film. The Taking is one of those found footage mockumentary things that have saturated the horror genre but this was better than most, again, good performances and the lack of soundtrack added to the jumpy moments. Well worth a watch.

• Paid Members

Anderson is usually shitty, but am I to take it that I was the only one who enjoyed Three Musketeers? I thought it was a rather enjoyable romp. Nowhere near as good as around the world in 80 days though, which is similar.

I watched about 15 minutes of it a couple of months ago to see what Milla Jovovich was wearing and then turned it off. It looked bloody awful. Not Milla though.

• Paid Members

I watched Snowpiercer last night. It's a sci-fi starring Chris Evans, set in a world frozen due to climate change the only remaining survivors live on a train that never stops moving. Evans is part of the back end of the train where the lower classes live and he decides to fight his way through to the front of the train. It was pretty good, the concept is really cool, unique and a bit mad. Tilda Swinton puts in an epic turn and is almost unrecognisable. It's no sci-fi classic but it's well worth a watch.