DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Gravity's going to win loads of awards isn't it? :(

It does look that way. Hopefully they can give it some awards for the effects and sound, rather than best film, director, screenplay or actress, because it really does not deserve those awards.

The 60s ones.

The 80s ones has some real shit in it which was disappointing considering the talent involved. Wes Craven directed about a quater of the first season and they had John Milus and Joe Dante involved as well with some great writers like Ray Bradbury and Stephen King having their stuff adapted but it was far too hit and miss which was a shame. Will probably still end up buying them all at some point

The first 2 seasons of the 60s ones are the best. After that the quality veers a LOT from episode to episode. My favourite two episodes from the first season are "Time Enough At Last" (feat. Burgess 'Penguin' Meredith) and 'One For The Angels' (which has Ed Wynn who was Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins)

• Awards Moderator
Gravity's going to win loads of awards isn't it? :(

It does look that way. Hopefully they can give it some awards for the effects and sound, rather than best film, director, screenplay or actress, because it really does not deserve those awards.

I think it might end up being one of those films that gets a ton of nominations but doesn't end up winning much. It's probably got the effects etc sewn up - possibly cinematography as well - and Cuaron might get the odd nod for how much work he put into it, but I can't imagine Cate Blanchett not picking up most of the Actress awards, and there are a fair few other strong contenders in all the other major categories.

The fact Gravity was a big success box office wise will definitely help, because it's a film enough people have seen that there's more interest in whether it wins or not (and therefore whether people will read/watch stuff about the awards) than something like Nebraska or Osage County or something.

• Paid Members
The 60s ones.

The 80s ones has some real shit in it which was disappointing considering the talent involved. Wes Craven directed about a quater of the first season and they had John Milus and Joe Dante involved as well with some great writers like Ray Bradbury and Stephen King having their stuff adapted but it was far too hit and miss which was a shame. Will probably still end up buying them all at some point

The first 2 seasons of the 60s ones are the best. After that the quality veers a LOT from episode to episode. My favourite two episodes from the first season are "Time Enough At Last" (feat. Burgess 'Penguin' Meredith) and 'One For The Angels' (which has Ed Wynn who was Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins)

Time enough at last is fantastic, it's amazing how bleak some of those episodes were.

Totally agree on the ups and downs in quality although there were still some crackers even up to the last season ( as hammy as it is it gave us nightmare at 20,000 feet, the old man in the cave and the superb An occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

The 60s ones.

Time enough at last is fantastic, it's amazing how bleak some of those episodes were.

Totally agree on the ups and downs in quality although there were still some crackers even up to the last season ( as hammy as it is it gave us nightmare at 20,000 feet, the old man in the cave and the superb An occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

Have you seen Outer Limits or Night Gallery?

• Paid Members

My ears are burning, there is Twilight Zone talk going on here.

Chokeout is correct, the 80's stuff is a pale of old shite compared to the 59/64 stuff. It's hard to explain for myself. There is just a wonderful ambiance about the original zone seasons. It gets a bit meh when it moved to hour long episodes though. The first season is just packed with wonderfully innovative stories. Time Enough at Last, The Hitchhiker and The After Hours (I'M A MANNEQUIN) are the standard episodes that always get mentioned but if you scran around youtube your sure to find better episodes like 'A stop at Willoughby' and the awesome 'The Last Flight'. I fucking love Twilight Zone.

Yes chokeout I've seen and own all 5 original seasons and the 1983 movie by the way.

Edited by WWFChilli

My ears are burning, there is Twilight Zone talk going on here.

Chokeout is correct, the 80's stuff is a pale of old shite compared to the 59/64 stuff. It's hard to explain for myself. There is just a wonderful ambiance about the original zone seasons. It gets a bit meh when it moved to hour long episodes though. The first season is just packed with wonderfully innovative stories. Time Enough at Last, The Hitchhiker and The After Hours (I'M A MANNEQUIN) are the standard episodes that always get mentioned but if you scran around youtube your sure to find better episodes like 'A stop at Willoughby' and the awesome 'The Last Flight'. I fucking love Twilight Zone.

Yes chokeout I've seen and own all 5 original seasons and the 1983 movie by the way.

Not only that, but theres all sorts of fun in spotting established actors in some of their earliest roles. Shit, just the first season has Quincy,Martin Landau, Jack Warren etc..

• Paid Members
Not only that, but theres all sorts of fun in spotting established actors in some of their earliest roles. Shit, just the first season has Quincy,Martin Landau, Jack Warren etc..

Quincy is all over the early zone stuff. He makes a few appearances. One of the odder appearances is Peter Falk as a Fidel Castro style character. Martin Landau is actually in one of my faves from season 1, 'Mr. Denton on Doomsday'.

Edited by WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Good man chilli.

I've seen a lot of The Outer Limits episodes but would love to work through all of them. There's a lot of them which are stunning to watch, far more visual than the Twilight zone. Episodes like Time Enough At Last were shot like teleplays, lots of stationary cameras and simple set ups. When you compare them to some of the outer limits episodes ( Demon With A Glass Hand being a great example) you can see how much effort went into their production.

I LOVE the earlier Night gallery episodes, although I've not watched them in years. The darker tone really worked well. In fact I'm gonna have a hunt now and see if they are available on Blu Ray.

• Paid Members

All this talk of the original Twilight Zone has finally made me take a punt on the first seasons Blu-ray set. I've read the restoration is jaw dropping and at 16.25 for 5 BDs. I've often thought about giving it a go so it's about time.