DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

There are loads of stupid comic book inserts that completely disturb the tone of it. It's not just cosmetic changes, it's just completely unnecessary - adds nothing, takes away a lot.

• Paid Members

I'm a big comics fan, but even I felt it ruined it. Whether or not Hill intended it to be such, it just doesn't feel like a comic book film, and shouldn't be presented as one. I like the idea that it's based on The March To The Sea, but it doesn't need explaining. The story's fine as it is, and anyone who likes it well enough can find out easily for themselves what its inspirations are.

• Paid Members

I fucking love Walter Hill, but the man lost the plot with that Directors Cut. Self indulgent bollocks on par with Snyders' Ultimate Cut of Watchmen.

In saying that, I have a goo on me to watch Last Man Standing tonight. One of my fave films by Walter Hill. Along with Ry Cooders' wonderful score, it's outrageously underappreciated.

• Paid Members

I love Walter Hill as well. I never really warmed to Last Man Standing but I'm a huge fanboy of his even despite though this Warriors business and the terrible The Assignment were disappointing blips. There are still a couple of his I haven't seen but I've liked the vast majority of his stuff a lot.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I now realise I have only ever seen the Director's Cut and love the film. Judging by that link nothing of substance has changed beyond the opening animation.

It all looks unnecessary, but none of it looks like it drastically changes the film.

That said, I do understand how one could get annoyed by it. I edited my own version of The Game because I enjoyed the film a lot, but hated the ending. So I did get how these little things can sour an experience.  Something small ruining something otherwise great is far worse than something that's just plain shit.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I think if you haven't seen it, Chest, just watch the Director's cut.  It's still a great film.

I'm a big Walter Hill fan - Southern Comfort is a blistering film and I really enjoyed Last Man Standing.  But Bullet To The Head was shite.

EDIT: Broken Trail is really great too, so he had his moments in his later years.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Don't watch the director's cut, watch the theatrical cut as it's superior. Why would you willingly watch an inferior version when you could still easily find the better version out there, if not exactly through legitimate channels?

I quite liked Bullet to the Head but it's clearly nowhere near his The Warriors / Southern Comfort / The Drive peak.

• Paid Members

I watched The King of Comedy for the first time at about 4am the other night, I was in a stange headspace and couldn't sleep, it was so much weirder than I expected and that really hit the spot. I'm not sure what the general consensus is on it but I thought it was great, Jerry Lewis was brilliant, he looked absolutely furious when his house was intruded on but he was always quite subtle throughout. De Niro as Rupert Pupkin was as memorable as any of his best characters and probably one of my favourite performances of his, he was so great at putting across Pupkin's awkward, aggressive false confidence.

I previously thought it was just a drama about the life of a comedian for some reason, I should've watched it ages ago.

• Paid Members

Was just reading the imdb trivia about King of Comedy after posting that review, may be common knowledge but a lot of it was improvised including Sandra Bernhard's monologue (and she'd never acted before), Robert de Niro went method and said anti-semetic abuse to Jerry Lewis to get him shoot angry for a scene (I knew he looked pissed off!) And most of it was shot on the streets of new York with real people in the background in a couple of hours a day because Scorcese was half dead while they were filming it. No wonder it turned out so cool and with such frantic energy.

• Paid Members

Bernhard is brilliant in this, she really should have been a huge movie actor off the back of it. I'm not huge on Scorsese but I've always thought he was better when working with more humour, even if it is very black in this case. After Hours is also great.