DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I thought it was pretty much the best film I saw last year. I think I'm in the minority in enjoying it to that level but I absolutely loved it. Great to see Leland Orser get a lead role as well.

• Paid Members

I thought it was pretty much the best film I saw last year. I think I'm in the minority in enjoying it to that level but I absolutely loved it. Great to see Leland Orser get a lead role as well.

Leland Orser! I'm in...

On a separate note, nobody plays 'my pots are gone, somebody give me a paper bag coz I'm fucking hyperventilating' better than that man. Nobody!

• Moderators

Has anyone watched Max about the dog that helped the US marines in Afghanistan ? Apparently it's good but any drama that involves dogs always tend to have too many sad parts for me.

Have you seen the website doesthedogdie.com ? Useful if you are unsure on watching something for those reasons.

• Paid Members

Leland Orser! I'm in...

On a separate note, nobody plays 'my pots are gone, somebody give me a paper bag coz I'm fucking hyperventilating' better than that man. Nobody!

He's a great man. Absolutely terrific in The Guest and arguably the best thing in Alien: Resurrection that wasn't called Winona Ryder.

Edit - Also, he's married to Jeanne Tripplehorn, which only elevates his hero status for me.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Has anyone watched Max about the dog that helped the US marines in Afghanistan ? Apparently it's good but any drama that involves dogs always tend to have too many sad parts for me.

Have you seen the website doesthedogdie.com ? Useful if you are unsure on watching something for those reasons.

Cheers for the tip. I usually have a quick glance at the discussion boards for certain movies on IMDB for that kind of thing.  This was another reason why I never watched John Wick.

• Paid Members

I loved Layer Cake but I don't fancy Kingsman at all, for some reason.

Layer cake is great fun.

I actively avoided Kingsman, didn't fancy it at all. It's actually far better than the marketing made it out to be. Well worth a watch.

• Paid Members

Cheers for the tip. I usually have a quick glance at the discussion boards for certain movies on IMDB for that kind of thing. This was another reason why I never watched John Wick.

I'm with you on that, couldn't watch tyrannosaurus for that reason. But with John Wick it is well done and I felt OK with it. Plus it's ducking excellent

Layer Cake was a film I'd tried a number of times to get into but kept switching off. Gave up on it for a few years but saw it on Netflix a few months ago and gave it another shot. Ended up really enjoying it. Not usually a fan of Daniel Craig or those overly cleanly-produced (not sure what the correct term is) crime films, but it's a really good movie. Recommend it if you've not seen it all the way through, Keith.

• Paid Members

I was expecting it just be another shite post-Lock Stock British gangster flick but I think I liked it even more than that, to be honest. Colm Meaney is brilliant in it.

The Jungle Book is pretty special isnt it?. Did a double header at the Cinema on Tuesday along with Civil War and was completely blown away by it. okay there was some jarring CGI issues, probably due to the shitty cinema I was watching it in and the screen being a mess, but the whole thing was a delight; the right balance between comedy and seriousness. Idris Elba was delightful as uber bastard Shere Khan and the nods in the score to the animated movie were immense too. I'd heard good things about it but was completely blown away by just how good it was. The set pieces were epic and Bill Murray's Baloo was daft as daft could be as well. Will pick this up on DVD and that's something I rarely do as I dont think i'm going to have the chance to go back to the cinema to watch it again.

Finally got around to watching Fast 6 as well. How long is that fucking runway? Aside from that amazing tied up some loose ends with some retconning of the storyline, cant wait to see Fast 7 and The Rock, pretty much steals every scene he is in, glorious stuff

• Paid Members

The Jungle Book is pretty special isnt it?. Did a double header at the Cinema on Tuesday along with Civil War and was completely blown away by it. okay there was some jarring CGI issues, probably due to the shitty cinema I was watching it in and the screen being a mess, but the whole thing was a delight; the right balance between comedy and seriousness. Idris Elba was delightful as uber bastard Shere Khan and the nods in the score to the animated movie were immense too. I'd heard good things about it but was completely blown away by just how good it was. The set pieces were epic and Bill Murray's Baloo was daft as daft could be as well. Will pick this up on DVD and that's something I rarely do as I dont think i'm going to have the chance to go back to the cinema to watch it again.

Finally got around to watching Fast 6 as well. How long is that fucking runway? Aside from that amazing tied up some loose ends with some retconning of the storyline, cant wait to see Fast 7 and The Rock, pretty much steals every scene he is in, glorious stuff

I equally enjoyed Jungle Book. But my guilty pleasure is the Fast Series. You are in for a treat with 7.

• Awards Moderator

Idris Elba was delightful as uber bastard Shere Khan

Are you joking? Between this and Zootopia, Idris is dragging films down with his expressionless and leaden voice acting. I love the guy on screen but his voice talent is the pits.