DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched "DOPE" last night. 

About 3 nerds living and trying to survive in a Oakland hood but find themselves in the middle of a drug war. Produced by rappers featuring rappers may give off the wrong impression but it's great. A right gem. 

Edited by Fox Piss

I'm sat here watching Superman 3 , which generally isn't very good, but the scene with evil superman vs good in the junk yard is great.

Did Christopher Reeves do any other movies where he played the bad guy? It's only a 10 section but he's great as a drunk mad man haha

• Paid Members

Chopping Mall has exploding heads, tits and Paul Bartel. What's not to love?

Bought the DVD of Chopping Mall off the back of this comment.

There's not enough Paul Bartel, not enough tits and only one exploding head.

That said, it's still an enjoyable bit of cheap sci fi nonsense and I'll probably watch it again in the next week with the directors commentary on.

• Paid Members

Chopping Mall has exploding heads, tits and Paul Bartel. What's not to love?

Bought the DVD of Chopping Mall off the back of this comment.

There's not enough Paul Bartel, not enough tits and only one exploding head.

That said, it's still an enjoyable bit of cheap sci fi nonsense and I'll probably watch it again in the next week with the directors commentary on.

Being fair, they were quite big tits.

• Paid Members

As much as I enjoyed "The Walk", and I did, I think because of my knowledge of the feat thanks to Man On Wire, I was not blown away buy le coup. The effects are stunning but because I knew how fake it was I didn't by into it as much as I'd have liked.

On the plus side, outstanding 3D presentation

• Paid Members

Can't watch that film due to how much the guy sounded like a prick on that "Man on Wire" documentary. Really fancied himself as some sort of God. Sounded like a right nutter.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I watched Turbo Kid last night.

It's a very tongue in cheek Canadian film from this year that's done in the style of an 80s post-apocalyptic cheap action/Sci-fi b-movie.

It's fantastic, it does try pretty hard to be a "cult classic" but I absolutely love those 80s wasteland punk movies so I was sold. I'd compare it to Grindhouse, Hobo with a Shotgun, etc in that it's trying to emulate a film from the era but turned up to 10 by using modern knowledge of what stuck in people's minds from that period and using all the conventions perfectly.

It's about a lonely kid roaming the wasteland on his BMX, scavenging and avoiding danger, there's also a Kiwi cowboy, a wacky young chick and an evil biker gang working with a super evil bad guy- played by the great Michael Ironside (giving it another connection to the films it's a tribute to).

It was showing at film festivals and it won some audience favourite awards I think. I was going to see it at a cult and horror film thing in London but it was the first thing to sell out. It's really cool and fun and you should check it out if you like that kind of shit.

The last few days I've watched

Leprechaun - which was such a fun movie

Leprechaun 2 - which was a decent sequel

Leprechaun 3 - which was ok if a little corny

Leprechaun 4 - OK but not really needed, I've avoided In The Hood and Back to Tha Hood as I've heard they are the worst of the bunch

PIN - which was a good film but very strange

Gingerdead Man - ridiculous premise for a killer but very fun to watch

Gingerdead Man 2 - didn't manage to finish it off but again ridiculous but fun

• Paid Members

Can't watch that film due to how much the guy sounded like a prick on that "Man on Wire" documentary. Really fancied himself as some sort of God. Sounded like a right nutter.

JGL does a great impression I think. He comes across very up himself. 

• Paid Members

Oh he's a horrifically arrogant man. In fairness, considering what he pulled off, I can excuse it somewhat. The mad fuck.

Looking forward to seeing The Walk. I'm a huge fan of Man on Wire so it should be enjoyable.