DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Hi all, forgive me for this (not so) shameless plug but I am releasing my short film 'Dirty Laundry' today. It's only five minutes long and so far the feedback has been very positive so I hope you guys get something from the film.

https://vimeo.com/82241574

The below comment, if aimed at me or not, has reminded me to post that it's probably NSFW.

Edited by frank

I've avoided the Hobbit films, for the simple reason of I've read the Hobbit book it's about 300 pages long. There's no way it needs to be split into 3, 2 and a half hour long films. I can understand the LOTR films being split into 3 since they are 3 fairly large books, but the Hobbit films are shameful money grabbing. Never mind the fact I found the LOTR films to be piss dull for the most part anyway.

While I do think they've padded it out longer than they've needed to, saying "its 300 pages" is pretty meaningless, especially in a comparison with Lord of the Rings. Its written very differently, whole adventures can happen in about the space of a paragraph.

I really enjoyed the second Hobbit, it's action packed and great fun if you like that kind of thing. I found Peter Jackson's computer trickery too much sometimes in LOTR but even though it's probably on display even more here I didn't too much mind. The film itself is a bit like an early 2000's Indy match, one exciting innovative spot to the next but only with better psychology so the spots are in the right place. The criticism of it being padded out to extend the film is a bit if an odd one as well. Films shouldn't be faithful like for like copies of the paper medium it should be tailored and moulded in the film makers vision. Yeah the first one had too much character development but it's not like it's Michael Bay trying to cash in on a sweeping epic here, the prospect of Peter Jackson adapting it longer is much more exciting and interesting even if it is partly to cater to fat cat executive types.

• Paid Members

Watched Mandela recently, Elba was fantastic yet it feels it's a bit too long and rushed towards the end. It really is something I'm glad I saw but I don't think I could watch it again.

Edited by niff

• Awards Moderator
I found the first one really tedious, but I love the book... will I enjoy this film?

Probably not. You'll like the way some of the best bits of the book - Beorn, the barrels, Bard, Lake-town, Smaug - are brought to life but most of the people I know who disliked it did so for the massive liberties taken with the book in the process of adaptation. I'm quite happy with a lot of them - Thranduil gets some nice bits of character, there are meetings that didn't happen in the book that feel right here, and as has been mentioned, things you can pass over in a paragraph in a book can be and are made to last in the film - but if you want a film of the book those things are more likely to grate on you than be enjoyable.

Meanwhile, I forgot to mention regarding Astro's top 20 list - I loved his idea of Behind The Candelabra as a vampire movie.

The criticism of it being padded out to extend the film is a bit if an odd one as well. Films shouldn't be faithful like for like copies of the paper medium it should be tailored and moulded in the film makers vision. Yeah the first one had too much character development but it's not like it's Michael Bay trying to cash in on a sweeping epic here, the prospect of Peter Jackson adapting it longer is much more exciting and interesting even if it is partly to cater to fat cat executive types.

Not really. Adaptations shouldn't just stick to the book, they should be about making a good film, complaining that a film is padded out seems to me less about complaining at the lack of a close adaptation of the book and more about questioning the pace and structure of the film. I genuinely think The Hobbit 2 would be a better movie if it was tighter than it was.

• Moderators
I found the first one really tedious, but I love the book... will I enjoy this film?

Probably not. You'll like the way some of the best bits of the book - Beorn, the barrels, Bard, Lake-town, Smaug - are brought to life but most of the people I know who disliked it did so for the massive liberties taken with the book in the process of adaptation. I'm quite happy with a lot of them - Thranduil gets some nice bits of character, there are meetings that didn't happen in the book that feel right here, and as has been mentioned, things you can pass over in a paragraph in a book can be and are made to last in the film - but if you want a film of the book those things are more likely to grate on you than be enjoyable.

Meanwhile, I forgot to mention regarding Astro's top 20 list - I loved his idea of Behind The Candelabra as a vampire movie.

Whilst I love the book, I won't be too precious about the source material in any adaptation as long as the film is good. I do really want to see it but I really don't want to be disappointed. But I'm still getting the feeling that what I said I wanted after seeing the first film will still stand after this one - I want to wait until all three films are out, and the for someone to do a single 3 and a half hour supercut of the lot in to one film for me to watch.

I'm really torn! We always go see a Christmas film with the family and last year we were disappointed by the Hobbit - I don't want to be the guy who suggests this and insists that it's "supposed to be better" and then get it in the neck after!