Get The Fuck Off My Screen

Professor Paul's Bin

• Paid Members
you've only watched his stuff from an era when it was widely acknowledged that he wasn't at his best

By who?

I haven't particularly seen this around the internet and have seen a pretty wide fanbase for him online. I'd like to know what work of his is worth watching to change my opinion on him. As it appears I've watched a bad bunch of matches and with the flow of not enjoying his recent work that doesn't make my opinion of him alter. I was wondering if it was just me, or if in fact heis shit. If not what work is there out there which would allow me to appreciate Piper.

Did you read all of my original post or just the bit you quoted? I named three sections of his work that are from a better era for him.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The fact that you will see almost no-one that prefers his WCW and TNA and Sean O'Haire managing runs would be enough of a clue, wouldn't it?

Your whole presence on this forum always reminds me of this:-

Yes, I quoted the widely acknowledged part. Wondering who widely has acknowledged this. I haven't followed or look into Piper so I'd like to see who acknowledges that part of his career.

Do you want him to give you a list of names? Because that could take a while....

His point is correct, that probably 1992 onwards he was on the downside of his career and past his best, hence why is is widely acknowledged.

• Paid Members
Do you want him to give you a list of names? Because that could take a while....

I'm on to my bosses right now to see if they will give me the day off to help Twinn out here.

Yes, I quoted the widely acknowledged part. Wondering who widely has acknowledged this. I haven't followed or look into Piper so I'd like to see who acknowledges that part of his career.

Thirty seconds of research shows that Piper won the Wrestling Observer's 'Best Interview' award three years in a row from '81 to '83, and that was before he headed to the WWF (where he then won 'Best Heel' in 1984 and 1985) and main evented 'The War to Settle the Score' with Hulk Hogan on MTV. He was in the main event of the first WrestleMania and was the pioneer of wrestling 'talk shows' with Piper's Pit.

In 1997, he and Hogan won 'Worst Worked Match'.

And I only started watching wrestling in February 2001.

• Moderators
You've done well to get past episode 3 of that show, in fairness, NEWM. I'll happily brain whichever knob it was on here that insisted I'd love it.

:laugh:

I think that one particular episode (which I thought actually was in Season 3) has enough in it for any wrestling fan even if you don't like the show overall.

I've found a lot of episodes of that show very funny that UI've watched with mates, but I've nver felt compelled to put it on when I'm on my own.

Anyway.. apologies for sidetracking the thread.

Everyone has that one match they remember as a kid, it feels like it was your first ever match (which it wasn't, as its rare your one match you hold on to is the 1st match from the 1st card you ever saw) but it's really just the one that hooked you; left, right and centre.

Piper vs. Hart at Wrestlemania VIII is that match for me.

I've been a Piper fan ever since.

Complete commitment to the character, a believable fire in his eyes and what he lacked in raw athleticism, he made up for in storytelling chops. Piper/Hart is a fantastic match.

In fact, Wrestlemania VIII is the first show I ever watched. A good way in, I think. Piper/Hart and Savage/Flair are just ace.

I bet it was Pitcos. He also told me I'd like Simon Amstell's stand-up.

Off topic again, sorry, but yeah, what a catastrophic disappointment that was.

Simon Amstell's comedy is much like how my career would probably go if I ever tried my hand at it. In my own head, I'm some hilarious, wistful maverick and people would find my skew on things HILARIOUS in a stage or sitcom setting.

The reality is, I'm just some condescending goon sat behind a fucking desk making really obvious jokes at the expense of the people sat around me for easy laughs. And I repeat funny stuff off the telly, only it's actually off funny shows rather than Celebrity bastard Juice or My Family. The End.

Anyway, back on topic, nobody will convince me to like the skirt-wearing faux-jock.

Archived