Best Wrestler of 2012

Ronnie

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Awards Moderator

All worthy winners this year, I'd say. Aries has excelled to the extent of sharing ring-time with Hogan and becoming a face and champion of TNA. Bully Ray's been far and away one of the best characters in wrestling. CM Punk's been WWE Champion all year (granted, he didn't become focus of the show until the latter half but still, he was WWE Champion for the entire year, which is pretty cool if you're him), Daniel Bryan's proven himself indispensable in getting reactions and great matches out of practically everyone, Ziggler's beeen fantastic in-ring, Cena's been his usual excellent self, shining against Rock and Lesnar particularly, and Sheamus has been consistently brilliant in his matches.

I'm going for Bryan. Not just anyone could turn losing the World Title in 18 seconds at WrestleMania into a huge positive, but he did. Yes, yes, yes, no, no, no, etc.

• Paid Members

Tough call, but I went for Bryan. His comedy act is grating on me now, but when you look at the year he had in 2012, it was extraordinary. He may have ended the year a lot further down the card than he began it, but you get the impression he's no worse off for it. He cemented himself as one the most popular and reliable guys on the roster. The guy proved he belonged in the big league.

Punk for me. As well as being champion for the entire year, which is an accomplishment in itself in this day & age, his stuff has been pretty much the reason I still watch Raw. From his win over Del Rio at the Rumble to his feuds with Jericho & Daniel Bryan, his early 2012 run was always worth watching.

His attack on the Rock and his heel turn in July was where he really cranked shit up in my opinion though. Throwing that little dash of realism into the mix by claiming that he, as champion should be the focal point of the show instead of guys like Cena & Rock was a nice way to kick off his run, followed by him always coming out one step ahead of Cena during their feud.

Throw in his promos with the likes of Foley & Lawler, his feud with Ryback (I credit Punk making Ryback look like a major deal in that feud being one of the reasons for the big mans success today), his association with Heyman, and the mystery with Brad Maddox and especially the shield and things have been great coming to the end of the year.

I'm expecting similar stuff from him this year, and although I reckon the Rock takes the title at the Rumble, it'll be Punk who shines again when Rock inevitably fucks off again to do more movies or whatever.

Top year for Punk in my book. He gets my vote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Went for Danny Bry here. Sheamus deserves some credit and more votes than he's got. He's been incredible in his matches in 2012. He suffers because of the rest of his act I guess. D-Bry has been excellent all-round, just tremendous performances in every form. Great matches as is expected but he's developed a character and completely understands how to apply it. He made Smackdown great TV in January. He got he and AJ over a ridiculous amount through their on-screen relationship. And he was glorious on Raw 1000. I absolutely loved that performance. And then he was continuously entertaining with Kane.

A great year and a great talent, but really he should be above where he is now as a result.

• Paid Members

Good assessment of Sheamus there BigB. I adored the Show match too. It's quite exciting just how good Sheamus could go on to become with how good he is already. He's had so many good matches in 2012 and his style is great, he's not afraid to take his licks, his matches look brutal in the right kind of way and he looks like he's been through a war afterward too (as you really should). I think his wrestling style perfectly suits the sort of wrestler he should be, a barbaric warrior. If he just sorted out the hair and beard to go with it and didn't have so much comedy promo time i'd be all over him.

• Paid Members

Superb write-up and very convincing argument for Sheamus from TheBigBoot there. As you can see, I voted for Bryan but it was a very close call between him and Sheamus for me. I think the only thing that stopped me putting him first was the fact that his storylines weren't the most exciting. The feud with Del Rio in particular seemed never-ending and never really got my juices flowing.

• Paid Members
He seems to have a good balance there where he's really generous for a headliner but I don't think it makes him any less credible. So many guys seem to get to that level and then start worrying about having to sell for people below them but he seems to make everyone they stick him in there with look good. You always feel like he's been in a fight with whoever he was against at the end but he doesn't seem to lose any of his own aura from that.

Brilliant point. I think it was Flair that said how important it was that your opponent looked good so that it meant something when you beat them. Men getting beaten after a brief flurry of offence makes them look weak and takes gloss off the win. I think that's the crux of the anti-Cena argument : he takes a bunch of offensive moves, kicking out of every one (including some that he probably shouldn't, killing suspension of disbelief) and then winning after an AA out of nowhere, bouncing around like he isn't hurt at all, making his oppositions offence look piss-weak. His recent matches on Raw with Ziggler have been a perfect example ; Cena at his best can have a great match, but the endings to those two matches didn't serve to make Cena look tough or the AA look devastating, they just made Ziggler easy to beat.

Sheamus' matches have had it right so often this year, not only the ones he won against the Miz/Barrett types but one of the best things about the Sheamus/Show match at Hell In A Cell was that Sheamus looked so strong, he really looked hard as nails and perhaps came out of the match looking a bigger star in defeat - which in turn made Show look like he really deserved the belt, as he'd beaten a really tough guy cleanly in an all-out war. I periodically get bored of Show, but at the end of that match they really made me feel that "he earned that one."

• Paid Members
I think that's the crux of the anti-Cena argument : he takes a bunch of offensive moves, kicking out of every one (including some that he probably shouldn't, killing suspension of disbelief) and then winning after an AA out of nowhere, bouncing around like he isn't hurt at all, making his oppositions offence look piss-weak. His recent matches on Raw with Ziggler have been a perfect example ; Cena at his best can have a great match, but the endings to those two matches didn't serve to make Cena look tough or the AA look devastating, they just made Ziggler easy to beat.

Yep. I've mentioned it before as well - it's the ONLY thing I think Cena has wrong with his game, really. If he had some version of Hulking Up to signal his comebacks, he'd be absolutely bang-on, IMO.

• Paid Members
Michaels used to do that plenty as well though didn't he? I'm not sure how you get around it when you're that kind of a babyface, but you are consistently booked so strong for so long..

Yeah, I was always in two minds about the HBK nip-up, because on the one hand it completely no-sold his opponent's offence (especially when such a big deal was made out of his back injury still being a problem), but on the other it did get a massive pop; for some inexplicable reason, one's personal logic is over-ridden by the sheer emotion of the moment.

Cena's comebacks don't really have that upside; they just feel really anti-climactic. The only times I remember that they've not been a problem are matches when he's come across as REALLY being on the back foot, like against Umaga or Lesnar.

I think, for going from NXT reject to World Heavyweight Champion, having amazing matches with everyone whether cruiser or heavyweight entertaining as a heel and a face, I can't see past Austin Aries. He's genuinely good enough for you to overlook his size, which outside of Shawn Michaels I rarely find works in practice.

Has Aries had a bad match all year? I don't think so. You can't imagine TNA's main event without him nowadays.

• Paid Members
I think, for going from NXT reject to World Heavyweight Champion, having amazing matches with everyone whether cruiser or heavyweight entertaining as a heel and a face, I can't see past Austin Aries. He's genuinely good enough for you to overlook his size, which outside of Shawn Michaels I rarely find works in practice.

Has Aries had a bad match all year? I don't think so. You can't imagine TNA's main event without him nowadays.

I definitely agree he's a major contender. When he first showed up, I thought "Oh god, Austin Starr's back to shit the place up with his RoH spottiness again", but he certainly proved me wrong, showing that he's learned how to work.

Am a little mystified he ditched the Pendulum elbow though, especially as a face - it seemed to be particularly over.