Best Wrestler of 2012

Ronnie

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never had a problem with HBKs kip-up, quite the opposite. It didn't massively take away from any selling. It was a great bit and added to his whole persona tremendously.

I think the commentary helped Michaels a lot, as he was always put over as being the most resilient, well-conditioned wrestler "of all time". It wasn't that be suddenly became "impervious to pain" like Hogan, but instead he was just such a great athlete that while some people could muster up a "second wind" he managed a third or fourth.

• 2 weeks later...

Chest's point was indeed always one the main criticisms of Michaels. I have mixed feelings about it but when you've had as many matches as Michaels did it's going to 'fit' some better than it does others.

Good assessment of Sheamus there BigB. I adored the Show match too. It's quite exciting just how good Sheamus could go on to become with how good he is already. He's had so many good matches in 2012 and his style is great, he's not afraid to take his licks, his matches look brutal in the right kind of way and he looks like he's been through a war afterward too (as you really should). I think his wrestling style perfectly suits the sort of wrestler he should be, a barbaric warrior. If he just sorted out the hair and beard to go with it and didn't have so much comedy promo time i'd be all over him.

Very true. He's only really coming into his prime now. No reason why he shouldn't continue to improve as the years go on. If he has a few more years like this he could be something really special.

I think the biggest challenge going forwards will be keeping his character fresh/interesting similar to Orton who could also have many years ahead in theory

Brilliant point. I think it was Flair that said how important it was that your opponent looked good so that it meant something when you beat them.

Thanks. Still haven't seen his ninety hour shoot (although I have it sitting around) but going by his book, other interviews and even from before that just watching his matches Flair was indeed a big proponent of that philosophy of building your opponent up. From the other oldtimers I know Harley Race and Terry Funk subscribed to that philosophy of making your opponent look strong as well. Not surprising really, since the whole point of the NWA touring Champ routine was to make the local hero look good. You couldn't exactly show up twice a year, go in and make the top talent the promoter/booker (who were sometimes the same person as said top talent) was building the territory around the rest of the time look like a chump.

His critics would say he was too generous and I've seen that point made a number of times that once Crockett, or "the NWA" as everyone just called it, became a national promotion having him work that way/beg off from a Brad Armstrong or Tim Horner worked to his detriment when Hogan was beating people clean on the other side. I'm not sure. I just enjoyed his matches.

Cook and Arch