For those of you that have stopped watching RAW,

Stealingsilver

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought it was a fun Raw because I don't think they were concerned about the ratings for the show; they just wanted to have a laugh like on the Raw after Mania when they're all hungover from the afterparty. It was a flimsy piece that didn't need to progress storylines, and it served that purpose nicely. It actually allowed them to experiment with the "laws of their world", doing a story where they tried to get across that something occurring on the show would actually impact the viewers' lives with Santa being taken out. I liked it for a standalone show, and it would be interesting to see, with them being so high on social media, whether word of what was happening spread as the show went on and had a positive impact on ratings at the end of the night. And if a break from tradition or tone one night doesn't work, they can go back to the formula next week. I suppose it's the metrics to determine what is a success that is problematic. You can have the greatest show in the world one night, but it doesn't mean all the lost fans from 2000 will return the next week. It takes time, so looking at ratings for one night is not entirely the best way to check and plan long-term strategies. It can be great to see who retains the existing audience, or who switches back over to see who, and you can build from there. TNA actually have a pretty good grasp of balancing standalone stuff with serialised storytelling with OFN, Championship Thursday etc., so episodes have a unique purpose but there is still some development.

You lot obviously haven't seen this weeks raw. It was AWESOME.

Could you briefly explain why, and save me the three hours in case you're referring to something that's actually crap.

Save yourself three hours.

I found the whole show a complete waste of time. The fake crowd noise was infuriating to the point of making it unwatchable.

• Moderators

Why the hate? It was a throwaway Xmas Eve show because they knew no-one would be watching so just put on a nice fun feel good show with the faces going over for the season. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and anyone who moans about it is even more miserable then I am. Really.

I thought it was legit enjoyable tv, not just wrestling tv either and I'm usually negative about WWE. The opening 10 minutes with the song and the cute animation and then the Santa swerve was great stuff. The tree falling on his head was the hardest I've laughed at a WWE thing in years, maybe ever.

I really want to see a RAW:the Musical edition now.

Raw was brilliant! It dragged at points as it often does, but it was the most fun episode since it went to three hours.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

All the Santa stuff was great... Khali's weirdness and then Punk taking the piss out of it was one of my favourite things in ages... And I would normally avoid another round of Cena vs Del Rio like it's a salad, but their Christmas match is probably my TV match of the year.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

WWE (PG) humour

Merry Christmas, Fin.

I'd love to see Raw not just cut back to 2 hours but actually cut to 1 hour.

Have four or five segments (including matches) of real value and limit the amount of workers that appear on the show.

Apparently for years WWE have longed to be in the same league as the top rated shows like 24, Homeland, Lost, etc. They all only go an hour. Always leave the audience wanting more unlike right now when after a 3 hour Raw they feel fucking knackered.

I have been harsh on Raw here. I (foolishly) completely overlooked the fact that it would be a Christmas extravaganza and was all set for some Royal Rumble build up with a few Shield beatdowns. When I got custard pies and 4 on 4 Diva matches with Mork and Mindy-esque audience noise I muttered something along the lines of "Fucking Christmas Bastards" and watched it with a stone in my shoe.

Accepting that there was never going to be any meaningful storyline progression and that I'm probably a miserable scrooge like cunt when it comes to things like this, if you're looking for a festive lighthearted caper you probably can't go far wrong. In all fairness even for a pissabout edition the Dolph/AJ segments were sleazy as fuck but very good and made Dolph look like a superstar, and the main event was an enjoyable match by any standards. 3 hours was way too long and I was disappointed, but most of that's my own doing.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

As weird as Raw was this week, and the bizarreness did make me laugh at times, the clips of the equivalent Raw in 2001 that aired on Vintage Collection this week were a million times better. Santa vs Santa, Austin singing Christmas songs on a guitar with a broken string, and even the Divas were getting legitimate reaction.

their Christmas match is probably my TV match of the year.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

You know, I would probably agree with that. It was a Attitude-era hardcore brawling laugh and probably one of the most interesting matches the WWE've done in a long time. I hope they do more next year.

Archived