For those of you that have stopped watching RAW,

Stealingsilver

I used to watch RAW every week without fail. I really tried to persevere but over the last couple of months I have just watched the PPVs and the weekly round up show (WWE Experience). This is both due to the fact that it has gone to 3 hours and also that the product has become stale for me. Now I am just buying DVDs and watching classic matches.

I don't know what would make me return but I don't think ever watch the show again whilst it is still 3 hours long. It's just too much.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The last time I watched Raw on a regular basis was when the old stars turned up to beat up Heath Slater every week, and subsequently Raw 1000.

If I hear someone like Piper is showing up I might tune in, but you might as well call me a lapsed fan as the current roster and storylines don't really interest me.

Thinking about it, the last time I watched religiously was when HBK was goading the Undertaker into facing him at Wrestlemania. That was a great storyline and very well executed.

On a semi-related note - is the nostalgia pop now almost completely finished as a ratings device? After they brought back Bret, what more could they do? That Bret return, and the Rock's return afterwards, had a lot of lapsed fans scurrying back, even if just for those shows. I suppose an in-ring return for Austin would garner similar response. But there's not a lot left they can throw out there in that respect. Bischoff, Goldberg, nWo, WCW, all those ships have sailed.

Shorter length.

More big guys smacking each other around.

Less identical looking/sounding wrestlers. Better characters basically.

To me, just make it more entertaining. That's what I think. Whether it's a 3 hour show, 2 hour show, half hour show, you need enough entertaining people and storylines to make it engaging. Choose the wrestlers that you see something in and push them. Don't just let them win matches- let them cut promos, have the announcers big them up, show vigenettes. Make them different.

Right now, imo, people are all samey. Cena is top dog, Sheamus is just an Irish Cena, Kingston is just a Jamacian Cena. Punk, Miz, Del Rio (before the turns) were all smarmy, sarcastic "cool heels." Fuck that. The big stars need to stand out, have their own personalities, positives, negatives, catchphrases, opinions. And these should be emphasised over and over.

To be fair tho, i've dropped sky sports so haven't watched for a few months. Some things recently sound good (Ryback, The Shield). But beforehand, why would I tune in? Same matches, same feuds, all drawn out. Same people, stalling. Dolph Ziggler- good wrestler, Kofi Kingston- good wrestler, tune in to see them wrestle for the 1000th time? No thanks.

• Paid Members
On a semi-related note - is the nostalgia pop now almost completely finished as a ratings device? After they brought back Bret, what more could they do? That Bret return, and the Rock's return afterwards, had a lot of lapsed fans scurrying back, even if just for those shows. I suppose an in-ring return for Austin would garner similar response. But there's not a lot left they can throw out there in that respect. Bischoff, Goldberg, nWo, WCW, all those ships have sailed.

Hogan and Hardy are there, if they want to offer them the right deal. WWE seem to have realised that they were a big deal in the early 00s, so instead of bringing in Slaughter AGAIN they'll get Rikishi or Road Dogg to do a bit, which appeals more to me anyway.

I've lost complete interest in WWE, at the minute. I'm waiting for The Rock to come back, and the following few months of 'Mania build, at least that's something that will feel moderately consequential.

Personally, WWE need to have a look at the Raw format. Imagine how fresh things would get if they tried to mix things up.

• Paid Members

More Dean Ambrose. Seriously. Since it went to three hours I've pretty much given up, but of the things I've seen since then, Ambrose is an absolute revelation. I'd heard his name a few times, like when that Foley feud was rumoured, but had no idea what to expect until he debuted with The Shield. But since then his interviews have been amazing, and his promos are the only segments I seek out on YouTube.

He's got that weird, creepy charisma, and he looks like a tramp, all of which makes him stand out massively. I've read people talk about him just ripping off Heath Ledger's Joker, and whilst partially true, I don't care. Rip off whatever the fuck you want, just stand out and be different. Please.

I used to watch RAW every week without fail. I really tried to persevere but over the last couple of months I have just watched the PPVs and the weekly round up show (WWE Experience). This is both due to the fact that it has gone to 3 hours and also that the product has become stale for me. Now I am just buying DVDs and watching classic matches.

I don't know what would make me return but I don't think ever watch the show again whilst it is still 3 hours long. It's just too much.

Im the same. I gave up on the current crap years ago. As much as I like Cena he just doesnt have the Hulk Hogan feel I would get back in the 1980s. The only thing that would get me to watch is if guys like Hogan, Jake Roberts, Steiner Brothers, Money Inc were competiting regulary on a weekly basis. Obviously that isnt going to ever happen. What WWE lacks is a decent womens division I miss the days of when we had regular talent who could actually wrestle.

For me it's nothing more than three hours being far too much a slog to get through. Far, far, far too long.

That's it, pretty much. Even if it was firing on all cylinders, three hours is a long time to sit through TV wrestling.

Any actual criticisms of the overall product I'd make would boil down to Loki's "Better characters basically." More of the show being like the Anger Management sessions, or the Sheamus legal proceedings, or the subplots that used to run through old Coliseum Video releases. But three hours is just tiring.

I can't watch Raw live, mainly since I value my sanity and the little sleep I get, but I've found that watching the edited repeats of Raw on a Thursday night are more than enough for me. It keeps the show as the old two hour format and cuts out what I assume is nothing important and mainly seen as filler material. That way, I don't have to sit through three hours of the show and it keeps it entertaining since it's just the best two of three hours.

Archived