Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members

His interview with Konnan and Court Bauer last year was great. He's an interesting character. He's so far and above any other wrestling journalist its not even funny. I emailed in a question regarding his career as a footy magazine editor and his mind got side tracked and spoke exclusively about George Best for ages. I would love to know more about his knowledge of football. I'll have to pop that one in again soon.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

I just find the man really interesting. I read a valid point somewhere that his writing on wrestling has probably just as interesting and entertaining as wrestling itself. His massive historical editorial pieces are amazing, even if like it's been formatted by a 3 year old chimp.

• Paid Members

Did you listen to that 3 hour mailbag show Meltzer and Mike Sempervive did? It was excellent. I sent a shitload of questions in as well, which he answered, so that was pretty fun. Its mental how he can sit there and answer questions in massive detail that people were sending in minutes before he started recording.

Did you listen to that 3 hour mailbag show Meltzer and Mike Sempervive did? It was excellent. I sent a shitload of questions in as well, which he answered, so that was pretty fun. Its mental how he can sit there and answer questions in massive detail that people were sending in minutes before he started recording.

He really is a top boy. I interviewed him for my dissertation (which you can read here if you get bored - http://martinhines.com/2013/01/12/my-wrestling-dissertation/ and he pretty much gave me all the quotes I needed, which was a massive relief as I only managed to secure the interview about three days before my deadline.

If he was a journalist in any other field other than pro wrestling he would be feted as one of the best journalists of all time.

• Moderators

Yeah, Bob Holly is such a really, really fucking good guy. It surprised me as well how concerned he was that Dave Meltzer wouldn't like him due to stories about him, so he was happy to go on there and show him the real Bob Holly and get on well with him. A side to Bob I'd never heard of before.

Really struck me as a great guy.

• Paid Members

Bob and Bart went out to the Brawl for All with an agreement of "no take downs". Bob Holly took a shitload of punches. He's the only one who didn't get dropped by Bart and it was the only fight where it was all punches. He must have some chin on him. He took a load of smacks to the face.

• Moderators

Also, he's exposed JR as what a fair few of us have suspected for a while. Mainly that JR is a fucking massive wanker.

EDIT: I actually tweeted Bob to congratulate him on such a great interview and said he was a class act and he gave me the most humble and nicest tweet back ever from anyone.

Thankyou Gareth, I really do appreciate it. Again thankyou so much..

:love:

Edited by PowerButchi

Can't say enough good things about Bob's book. Read it cover to cover in a day (it's a good 300 pages or so too). He comes across as a really humble guy who doesn't understand why he wasn't used to the best of his abilities but is thankful for his career and especially his fans. His insights into the Eddie and Benoit deaths are also really interesting. I also got a couple of Twitter replies from him thanking me for reading and enjoying the book.

Any links to these interviews with him?

Couple of new episodes of Interesting People Talking Wrestling, with hip-hop DJ Peter Rosenberg here and with Carrie Dunn who has just written a new book about the current state of British wrestling here

Enjoy

Your impression of Nigel McGuinness was an unexpected pleasure.

Another British wrestling book is welcome. I'll probably order that when it comes out. Can't believe she tracked down Casper from Faking It.

Thanks mate. From the samples I've read, the book is actually very good - you can tell it's been written by somebody who clearly really likes British wrestling, but isn't naive enough to be swallowed into all the seedy stuff sometimes associated with it. That Faking It episode was terrific.