Raw, 19/11/12

NEWM

So this was an alright show, wasn't it? Though the ending didn't blow me away, I really enjoyed the final segment and it does no harm to redo the Ryback beatdown that loads of people who ignored the PPV would have missed. They didn't rush anything in terms of an allegiance or not with Punk and the Blackshirt Security blokes, so it's nice to have something else to ponder about this potential Punk stable with those, Ryback etc.

Good development on the Cena/AJ story and a really fantastic fight in the changing rooms too. That was great stuff that both guys looked better for, and I was completely sold on Cena being hurt before then too. Most importantly, the whole "scandal" might turn into a serviceable programme with a feud, rather than just more interminable AJ/Vickie segments. Must say mind, AJ seems pretty over wherever they go, so maybe her time is more justified than many of us give credit for.

Had to skim through the matches to be honest so can't pick out any specific highlights of any, but Khali went over some nobodies so I was pleased with that, and everybody seemed to get plenty of time out there so that seems nice for them.

The Rumble has even more hanging on it than usual, so I'm hoping for this normally quieter spell heading into the December PPV is not so dull this year.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the show's quality was very distinctly split between the 3 hours. The first hour was great, the second hour was pretty bad, and the third hour was somewhere in the middle. I liked how we got into the action relatively quickly with the Ryback-Tensai match, although I like how Ryback is slowly starting to speak more. I will say he gives a much better promo than Goldberg. I anticipated the match finish being the clothesline, so I was pleasantly surprised when he was able to hit the Shellshock this time. Kofi vs. Barrett had a great story, and Orton vs. Del Rio 2/3 Falls was fantastic. I know some people are sick of it, but I think they work really well together. I particularly liked Orton's realistic quick tap out to the cross armbreaker.

Unfortunately, Raw kind of nosedived from there. How Khali and Hornswoggle are still employed is beyond me, Khali is immobile and whatever comic relief Little Bastard had expired long ago. Miz vs. Otunga was a bad match, I get how they're slowly trying to make Miz face, but Otunga's offense was boring and slow and the crowd isn't invested enough in Miz as a face yet to rally for that big comeback. I see what they were going for, but it wasn't done very well. Sheamus vs. Sandow was another methodical match that didn't seem to work. To me, Sheamus didn't get hurt enough at Survivor Series to justify how well Sandow was able to dominate him.

The show got a bit better from there with the Ziggler/AJ/Cena locker room bit. Ziggler ripping on AJ was done with serious fire, did he just have a break up or are his promos improving that much? Really enjoyed that verbal decimation, and as said, the fight with Cena culminating in the car crash tackle through the toilet cubicle was fantastic. Team Hell No vs. Rey/Sin Cara was a fun tag match, horrible commentary aside, and they didn't give away too much for a future encounter.

The final segment left a bit to be desired. Heyman and Punk was solid, but not great on the mic. The video was decent and I liked the list of longest reigning champions, that was a nice touch. I expected some kind of major development for a celebration of 365 days, but instead we got a decent promo, a decent video and a rehash of the angle from the night before. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like they could have done so much more with it. On the post-PPV Raw, they had the two big events from the previous night- Ziggler as the sole survivor, and the emergence of Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns, and nothing really progressed from those events.

Overall, good show but a little underwhelming as I had higher expectations.

• Paid Members
Change the title, Survivor Series spoilers.

You can't really come into a thread from the following night's Raw not expecting them...

Anyway, after staying up for Survivor Series royally messed up my sleep pattern I ended up staying up for this. As others have said beforeme, 3 hours with adverts is just so tough to get through, everything is so long and drawn out. Them ending the show with exactly the same angle as the night before with the exact same spot didn't help matters either (say what you will about Aces and 8's but at least they mix their shit up a bit), just made me think what was the point in watching?

It reminded me of the Maddox thing last month, you watch Raw for the fallout of the big angle and get absolutely zero progression, although at least these guys were actually at the show..

• Paid Members
Team Hell No vs. Rey/Sin Cara was a fun tag match, horrible commentary aside, and they didn't give away too much for a future encounter.

Eh? The commentary in that match was fantastic. Titus O'Neil was on fire.

He was far too enjoyable and natural and off the cuff there. That kind of potential is sure to be stamped out and discouraged as soon as possible.

Edit - I sound like a horrible negative Fin Martin there don't I? I Finally understand why he's gone as insane as he has...

Team Hell No vs. Rey/Sin Cara was a fun tag match, horrible commentary aside, and they didn't give away too much for a future encounter.

Eh? The commentary in that match was fantastic. Titus O'Neil was on fire.

He had some funny one liners, the "have a heart", followed by a little smirk was great, but overall, Cole, Lawler, Young and Titus spent over 10 minutes tripping over each other trying to make funny jokes about "wash rags" and generally ignoring anything on screen.

Enjoyed a lot of that, was bored through a lot of it too. Just 3 hours is hit and miss

Ah well, I loved Titus and d-Young on commentary. Im hoping we're going to get a Tag Team Title Tables, Ladders and Chairs match at TLC...

the Security lads doing the same thing was a bit underwhelming but Im still excited to see where it goes. Really enjoyed Punk and if he makes it to the Rumble I cant actually wait to see him wrestle The Rock.

Loved the backstage brawl between Ziggler and Cena, Ziggler was scathing in that promo with AJ. Hope it goes somewhere for Ziggler.

The rest was a bit dross.

As proper toss as the Ziggles/Cena story is, last nights locker room segment did beg the question why on earth do they think Dolph needs a mouthpiece?

He acted quite well, especially considering the content is so shite.

I wish Ryback wold fuck off, now. His promos are embarrassing. We get it, it's a food analogy. Stop ramming it down our throats, so to speak.

Heyman was my favourite thing on the show.

• Paid Members

Ryback's promos can not scream "A LIMP WRISTED GEEK IS WRITING THIS" any louder. Ryback should be a man of few words (because he's not a good promo, anyway), and those few words should consist of basic threats of ass whoppery, not some contrived food-based line that goes on and on. At least the crowd reacted to him like a star this week, rather than a midcarder.

Cena was great on this show. They should play that Make-a-wish video at every taping, it takes a right baw bag to boo the bloke after watching that.

• Paid Members

A wrestling heavy show, that delivered a cracker in Orton vs Del Rio, though the spotlessly clean finish means that HAS to be the last match between them for now.

Storyline wise we got positive development in the AJ and Cena angle. I thought Dolph was excellent. Sheamus and Big Show also had a really good promo exchange.

While I liked the rerun of the NXT beating down Ryback angle from the PPV, Punk and Heyman celebrating the anniversary of Punk's title reign was boring as hell before it. That kinda made the whole show ending flat. I do like the fact the NXT guys motivation is still to be explained though. I just hope that the explanation is good when it comes.

Solid stuff overall though.

• Paid Members

All in all, a good show, it's been ages since I watched Raw start to finish and it was fine. In fact, there was enough decent stuff on it to make me sad that SmackDown has to cope with half the talent missing.

My only slight quibble is a very personal one which I'm sure no-one else will share in : the announcement of Miz v Ziggler for Main Event. Miz has only just turned, and I'm slightly upset that they are throwing away that type of match so soon on free TV. Miz vs Otunga, fine. But I really think Miz vs Ziggler is an interesting "first time only" match that they could have built towards for a pay per view. It's almost as though they realized "crikey, there a few matches we haven't done to death and now Miz is a face we can start having them ASAP!" It feels really backwards.

Hope it goes somewhere for Ziggler.

It goes to a match between Cena and Ziggler, I'm going to guess at TLC and the main event will be a Punk/Ryback once last match in some kind of gimmick match. They will ban the three FCW guys from the building and expect that this time there will be no shenanigans, but there obviously will be. Maybe this time Lesnar.

I hope Cena doesn't point out in the build up that before he pulled her off, Ziggler was getting beaten up by a girl. Dolph doesn't need anything else to make him look a loser not in Cenas league.

Orton vs Del Rio can fuck right off. They'll probably have another match at TLC. Orton won a feud-ending gimmick match last night, but he did in Brum as well and the feud just carried on with no rhyme, reason or momentum.

Highlights for me were the Cena video and the Barrett vs Kofi match. Great little interview with Barrett beforehand, too. I just hope they don't run this one into the ground by having five rematches between now and the Rumble. Ziggler had a good night as well. It's very hard to shake the "what the fuck is this shit" feeling about this whole storyline, but it seems to have abandoned the so-what affair thing now and splintered into a couple of better stories starting.

Archived