Raw, 19/11/12

NEWM

In CM Punk's celebration video, that was a remix of the Champions League theme, wasn't it?

It was a classical piece of its own before it was used for the Champions League. The remix was of the original piece, called 'Zadok the Priest' - it was composed by Handel, and is traditionally known to be a coronation anthem.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In CM Punk's celebration video, that was a remix of the Champions League theme, wasn't it?

It was a classical piece of its own before it was used for the Champions League. The remix was of the original piece, called 'Zadok the Priest' - it was composed by Handel, and is traditionally known to be a coronation anthem.

Ah right. I was eagerly awaiting 'the champions!'

They could have had Punk unveil a new belt. It's never going to change, is it?

• Paid Members

Ah right. I was eagerly awaiting 'the champions!'

They could have had Punk unveil a new belt. It's never going to change, is it?

Until they change it, it will always feel like its Cena's belt. A lasting reminder that he is still the main man in the company.

• Paid Members
I don't know about that. I don't watch wrestling because I want anything gritty or realistic. I watch it because I enjoy the storytelling, the character interaction, the over-exaggerated theatricality. Where WWE has been going wrong is that it's not doing these things very well. The characters are largely dull and the stories are pants. If you want gritty realism, you're really, really pissing on the wrong lamp post.

Agree 100%. As every one of my posts, i'm going to harker back to 'the good ol days'. But i'm watching an episode of Raw from January 1998 now and the New Age Outlaws have just thrown Chainsaw Charlie and Cactus Jack off the ramp while they were in a bin. At the end of the show, both have apparently escaped from hospital and have ran down the ramp in hospital gowns to jump DX.

This is pure bollocks obviously, but it's thoroughly enjoyable and fun though. What else do you look for in a Wrestling show?

I don't think the opinion of an active wrestling fan really disproves my theory, considering I was talking about the billions of people that don't give a fuck and will continue not to do so.

We're a captive audience, were the life support that keeps the weezy old cunt breathing.

As far as the mainstream audience? They're not even in the right street to be pissing up the WWE's lamppost.

They're miles away getting a tuggy off Clare Danes behind Dana White's bins...

• Paid Members

Was going to post this in the random thoughts thread, but given the way the conversation has turned in this one, it seems quite appropriate to slip it in here....

Remember when wrestling was actually massive? Here's the cover of Entertainment Weekly magazine from April 16th 1999.

tumblr_m899rtkybg1qzx70zo1_500.png

Click the image to read the archived article at ew.com. It doesn't really go into how wrestling got big, unfortunately, but does offer a fun WWF vs WCW argument.

Could you imagine wrestling making the cover of a mainstream entertainment magazine today? Seems unthinkable. In 1999 it was almost 'normal' to watch wrestling, everyone was onto it. It's sad to think that in all likelihood, that will never be the case again.

Yeah, it was never 'credible' though, had it achieved the implicit acceptance that came with credibility they'd have found it a lot harder to shit fans away like they have over that past decade.

I mean, that magazine cover is case in point; it has featured wrestling heavily because people like it bu the subtext is 'lol, how did this shower pull this one off?

• Paid Members

Yeah, describing Goldberg as "WCW Ring Master" and Steve Austin as "WWF Bad Boy" smacks of "ooooh, look at this lot trying to be hard, actually they're camp as Christmas."

• Paid Members

Wrestling will always be hated by the media anyway, but it got up in he face of the mainstream in the late 90s. They really were the Howard Stern of TV. You had an outcry from the mainstream media and WWF exploited it. It was a time when Vince responded to the media by laughing at them, and it totally worked out. I remember when Vince was interviewed once and they showed him a clip of Mark Henry getting sucked off by a tranny and Vince was pissing himself laughing as the interviewer shook his head. Wrestling will never be acceptable to like, but in the late 90s it was a hot topic and a massive money making machine. Apart from the initial cartoon era boom period, you've never see anything like it before or since.

Fantastic watch that, cheers Ian. That defence of "The kids should be watching on Saturday, not on a Monday on their own, so fuck you" was just bulletproof wasn't it? Well, bulletproof because he wasn't as arsed about narking advertisers or sponsors.

Archived