My Best Film: Kurt Russell

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Yeah, I went there.

Aside from the films that everyone knows that he's great in, he's also been in loads of quality films that nobody gives credit like Captain Ron, Overboard, Executive Decision, Backdraft and Tequila Sunrise.

Also, check him and Goldie out from a few days ago:-

article-0-15F6BF8C000005DC-537_634x751.jpg

They still look fantastic. Been together for 29 years now. What a couple.

If you need some help with his films:-

(I don't think I can answer, by the way, because he's just too great all the damn time.)

• Paid Members

Ive gotta put the Big Trouble in Little China vote in because its my favorite movie but Kurt Russell is awesome in general.

I will give an honorable shout out to Breakdown though, mainly cause its an underrated lil gem of a movie.

It's a toss up between The Thing, Backdraft and Death Proof. I'd say probably The Thing, it's a cracking film and he has a lot to do with selling it all.

• Paid Members
It's a toss up between The Thing, Backdraft and Death Proof. I'd say probably The Thing, it's a cracking film and he has a lot to do with selling it all.

The biggest problem with Death Proof I had was that he wasn't in it nearly as much as he should've been. Of course when he was in it he was brilliant. I had no time for the other bollocks with the girls though.

• Paid Members

Gladders I love you for starting this topic. Kurt Russell is up there as one of my favorite actors of all time, that rare breed that can bounce from comedy to action and is equally as good in both.

His best film has to be The Thing, there's nothing about that film I don't like. Hard to narrow down his best performance though. Apart from his higher profile films you can't beat him in Breakdown and Overboard (A film that manages to be as close to the knockabout romantic comedies of the 50/60s as anyones got in the last 30 years)

• Paid Members

Big Trouble all the way for me. I thought Jack Burton was the coolest guy in the world when I was a lad. He was a regular guy that got caught up in a mental situation and just wanted his damn truck back. Him missing Lo-Pan with that knife was such an immense false finish. It's all in the reflexes.

Also, the last words ever written by Walt Disney were "Kurt Russell" but noone seems to know why.

For Kurt Russell could be easy to say Escape from New York is his best film, and but there is much more to him than that.

Turns in Used Cars, Swing Shift, mesmerising as Elvis in the TVM by John Carpenter, and then good in the likes of Backdraft, Breakdown, Tango and Cash, Big Trouble in Little China not to mention Overboard, and even Sky High (which is really good) are all good. Ive never really got on with The Thing, despite watching it a few times and would have to see it again to reassess his role.

I think will have to go with

1st Escape from New York

2nd Elvis

3rd Sky High

But then will probably swap around 2 and 3 with his role in Breakdown, which is superb.

Will have to rewatch Backdraft, not seen it in ages and Robert De Niro's talk/demonstration on Fire Donald Sutherland's character and the ending is pretty much all I can remember at this point

• Paid Members

There's a film called Dark blue, which was I think a made for tv movie, starring Russell, Ving Rhames, and Brendan Gleeson dealing with corruption in the LAPD in the early 90's during the Rodney King trial. Russell is brilliant, and the film is excellent, definitely an overlooked gem.

• Paid Members

He's even good with voice work, Fox & the Hound is one of my favourite Disneys. I'm surprised that Tombstone & Stargate haven't been mentioned yet.

But I can't pick either far too many excellent movies from the man. But Sky High, Big Trouble, the Thing and of course Escape From NY (Hence the username) Tango & Cash and Backdraft. Pick them all for my choice.

• Paid Members

Got too go with Tombstone, i'm a big Western fan and this is in my top three for sure. Great cast with Russell, Val Kilmer and Sam Elliot and other good actors in supporting roles (Billy Bob Thornton, Bill Paxton, Charlton Heston, Powers Boothe) would reccomend it too those who don't like Westerns aswell, arguably made even better by the shite Wyatt Earp Costner brought out the same year. Honourable mentions too Big Trouble and Tango and Cash, two favourites of mine when I was growing up, both so camp.

• Paid Members
There's a film called Dark blue, which was I think a made for tv movie, starring Russell, Ving Rhames, and Brendan Gleeson dealing with corruption in the LAPD in the early 90's during the Rodney King trial. Russell is brilliant, and the film is excellent, definitely an overlooked gem.

I really need to see this, I've meant to for a number of years. I didn't know Brendan Gleeson was in it, though, now I REALLY have to see it.

• Paid Members

I really need to see this, I've meant to for a number of years. I didn't know Brendan Gleeson was in it, though, now I REALLY have to see it.

If only it was on VeeHD

Archived