UFC on FOX 5: 'Henderson vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, Nate's title shot couldn't have come at a better time. He's looked amazing recently, particularly in the Miller fight. I thought Miller would be a massive test for Nate, but he completely demolished him. Watching those highlights he looked even better than I remembered.

I can't wait for this show.

I'm sure Miller was suffering from something like the flu when he fought Diaz. Not to say that he wouldn't have still beaten him, but I doubt it would have been as comprehensive a victory. Diaz is looking good though.

As for who I want to win, I can't really understand why anyone would want to see Shogun win. What does that bring to the table for the future? Gustafsson is one of the few legit challengers left for Jones at 205lbs. Why anyone would want to see him knocked off by Shogun is beyond me.

Do we really want to see Jones/Shogun again?

The same can be said about Penn and MacDonald. I have no interest in seeing a young challenger knocked off by a guy who will more than likely do the square root of fuck all in the division.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, Nate's title shot couldn't have come at a better time. He's looked amazing recently, particularly in the Miller fight. I thought Miller would be a massive test for Nate, but he completely demolished him. Watching those highlights he looked even better than I remembered.

I'm sure Miller was suffering from something like the flu when he fought Diaz. Not to say that he wouldn't have still beaten him, but I doubt it would have been as comprehensive a victory. Diaz is looking good though.

As for who I want to win, I can't really understand why anyone would want to see Shogun win. What does that bring to the table for the future? Gustafsson is one of the few legit challengers left for Jones at 205lbs. Why anyone would want to see him knocked off by Shogun is beyond me.

The same can be said about Penn and MacDonald. I have no interest in seeing a young challenger knocked off by a guy who will more than likely do the square root of fuck all in the division.

Didn't Jim Miller also have flu against Ben Henderson? Seems like excuses to me if both his recent losses have coincided with having flu both times

• Paid Members

Because Shogun's one of the most popular fighters in the sport, and his fans want to see him win because they like him and they want to see him do well Dave, same with BJ.

It aint all about what happens in the future. It's about now. I don't think Shogun's going to win, but i want him to win because he's the fucking man, end of.

Come on, Ebb. He's 5-4 since arriving in the UFC. Shogun hasn't been "the fucking man" since 2005. A bad loss to Gustafsson will hopefully see him finally call it a day, plus we'll get to see Jones hopefully face someone who could actually pose a real challenge.

I simply think it's just a case of me not being a fan of post-PRIDE Shogun. I don't think he (or a few others) have been the same since they left a company and country where the drug testing isn't as strenous as it is in the US.He's never really looked like the same guy, has he? Anyway, if he was fighting someone who wasn't one of the few legit contenders to Jones then I'd likely feel different, but I don't want him knocking off a challenger like Gustafsson.I don't think he will either. The way Gustafssons been finishing most of his opponents suggest to me that this fight won't end well for Shogun.

How,could you forget about that? That's the only thing I remember about Diaz/Miller :laugh:

Yeah I remembered him talking shit and taunting but didn't recall just the level of piss taking he did. Maybe because it was a highlight video and it had all those bits spliced together in rapid fire it stood out more.
Oh, I was talking about the sick finish with the tongue choke, the overall fight, with said clowning, doesn't ring a major bell. I recall the fight being reasonably even until Miller failed the takedown, but then my own memory is pretty shocking, I haven't watched the fight since it happened.

Edgar did well against Bendo striking, and Diaz is a much better striker, with considerably more power.

I don't think I'd really say Nate is particularly powerful. It's his timing and accuracy more than power that fucks people up in my opinion. He seems to break guys with his pace and combinations more than serious hurtful shots. It's usually an accumulation of shots with both Diaz's.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying Nate has dynamite in his fists or anything, I just meant in comparison to Edgar, whose punches seem so light I'd be tempted to let him take a free shot at me just so I could judge. I was absolutely stunned when he finished Maynard, but then again that was in the 4th round with an accumulation of punches. Nate doesn't have one punch KO power, but I think he would have an easier time TKOing an opponent with an accurate combo of punches, kicks and knees.

Come on, Ebb. He's 5-4 since arriving in the UFC. Shogun hasn't been "the fucking man" since 2005. A bad loss to Gustafsson will hopefully see him finally call it a day, plus we'll get to see Jones hopefully face someone who could actually pose a real challenge.

I want to believe this is trolling, but sadly I don't think so. In MMA especially, numbers never tell the full story. Of those four losses, we have Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, Jon Jones and Dan Henderson. The Griffin fight was his debut, so there's the often mentioned "Octagon jitters", but more to the point, I think Shogun took Griffin lightly. It was a massive upset at the time, everyone expected Shogun to run through him like a buzzsaw (which he did in the rematch). The Machida loss was a very questionable decision, again avenged in the rematch. Jones has destroyed everyone, if you want to discredit a fighter for losing to Jones, I guess Rampage, Machida, Rashad and Vitor are all cans as well. And the Hendo fight was one of the greatest fights of all time, another really close decision where Shogun dominated most of the last 2 rounds.I think Shogun is slowing down myself, I don't think he's got too many more fights in him, but you can't discredit him on his UFC run, win or lose he's performed admirably for the most part, and is still dangerous for anyone at 205. Well, I can't see Shogun vs. Jones II going any differently, but then again I think Gusty gets killed by Jones too. Maybe this fight on FOX will shed some light on how good each fighter is at this stage.

• Paid Members

I simply think it's just a case of me not being a fan of post-PRIDE Shogun. I don't think he (or a few others) have been the same since they left a company and country where the drug testing isn't as strenous as it is in the US.He's never really looked like the same guy, has he? Anyway, if he was fighting someone who wasn't one of the few legit contenders to Jones then I'd likely feel different, but I don't want him knocking off a challenger like Gustafsson.I don't think he will either. The way Gustafssons been finishing most of his opponents suggest to me that this fight won't end well for Shogun.

despite having a pop at you in the previous post, i agree with everything you said there.I think Shogun's only way of winning is to try and drag Gustaffson into some dirty, all out brawl and hope he tires...or go down the takedown route (i think he'll attempt the first way). ...but saying you dont wanna see him knock off a challenge like Gustaffson, surely if Shogun wins then Gustaffson was never really a viable contender for Jones anyway?

In MMA especially, numbers never tell the full story. Of those four losses, we have Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, Jon Jones and Dan Henderson.

And I don't really think he's looked close to being the smashing machine he was in Japan in any of those fights he lost. Whatever the reasons, he lost to Griffin and put in a performance that had me absolutely gobsmacked. His loss to Machida was questionable, but again he didn't look great then either. The Jones fight I'll address later, whilst his bout with Henderson, whilst entertaining, looked as though it was filmed in slow motion. Exciting? Definately. It looked like a fight between two guys in their 40's though.I don't think he's really looked impressive at all since arriving in the UFC.

Jones has destroyed everyone, if you want to discredit a fighter for losing to Jones, I guess Rampage, Machida, Rashad and Vitor are all cans as well.

Shogun was absolutely destroyed by Jones. The four other fighters you mention at least looked as though they had a little belief in themselves. Shogun basically fell apart and got hammered without doing anything. I was embarrassed for him after that fight. He was tapping from strikes by the end if I recall correctly.

I think Shogun's only way of winning is to try and drag Gustaffson into some dirty, all out brawl and hope he tires...or go down the takedown route (i think he'll attempt the first way). ...but saying you dont wanna see him knock off a challenge like Gustaffson, surely if Shogun wins then Gustaffson was never really a viable contender for Jones anyway?

If anyone will be sucking wind in this fight it'll likely be Shogun, not Gustafsson.Of course if Shogun wins then Gustafsson isn't a viable contender, but that doesn't mean I want it to happen. I just don't see where a Shogun win gets anyone excited. Can anyone on this forum seriously tell me that they're interested in seeing Jon Jones absolutely smash Shogun again?

If anyone will be sucking wind in this fight it'll likely be Shogun, not Gustafsson.

Of course if Shogun wins then Gustafsson isn't a viable contender, but that doesn't mean I want it to happen. I just don't see where a Shogun win gets anyone excited. Can anyone on this forum seriously tell me that they're interested in seeing Jon Jones absolutely smash Shogun again?

I have to agree that although I don't think Gustaffson has proven himself to be elite yet, his cardio has appeared excellent so far.

I love a good underdog story, that's what would excite me with a Shogun win. Same reason I'm hoping BJ sparks Rory in the first round. Also, the point you didn't cover in your reply to me (great points made in fairness, I see where you're coming from), is Shogun's ability to completely turn things around in rematches. He ran through both Machida and Griffin with brutal first round finishes in the rematch, and to a lesser extent he took out Mark Coleman. Continuing on from that, a healthy Shogun could come in with a different game plan and be more competitive with Jones. I don't know if it would happen, as I said previously, but there is a precedent there for Shogun in rematches.

• Paid Members

The thing is here, both David and Ebb are right.

David's correct in the fact that Shogun will get demolished by Jones if he somehow gets through Gustaffson. And quoting David, Can anyone on this forum seriously tell me that they're interested in seeing Jon Jones absolutely smash Shogun again?

However, David, like football everyone has their favourites. No matter the outcome in the future, you always want your favourite to win.

• Paid Members

i definitly can't see Shogun doing anything against Jones, and personally i'd love to see Gustaffson have a crack at Jones...that doesn't mean im looking down the line at that, after the fight i will but tomorrow when Shogun enters the cage, i'll be rooting for the guy. It's hard not to root for a guy that leaves it all in there like Shogun.

One thing, outside of the Jones destruction Shogun seems have that ability to make fighters fight at his level and pace, he dragged Vera into a war he should never got inolved in and i have a sneaky suspicion that he might be able to do the same to Gustaffson. Gustaffson needs to stay on the outside and just destroy Shogun from range but i guess that's easier said than done.

I'm still picking Gustaffson via late TKO though.

Archived