"Paul Heyman Guys"

Cobra1000

Thought this was a great read and pretty thread worthy, on WWE.com Paul Heyman lists his 10 'guys'

Heres the Joey Styles one for a taster,

Joey Styles was someone with as much product knowledge as any other announcer out there, an enthusiasm that could not be touched and a desire to fulfill his dream of being a pro wrestling announcer. Yet, Joey did not have one, single, solitary opportunity to even sink or swim, do or die on his own, get the one shot to prove himself worthy. The first day I met Joey, he told me he wanted to be a play-by-play announcer, and I thought the day he graduated college someone would immediately sign him up. And yet, no one would give this brilliant young man a chance. It's a common theme among "Paul Heyman Guys." (WATCH PAUL & JOEY IN ECW)

Joey's biggest night was April 13, 1997. It was ECW's first pay-per-view, and you have to understand the television industry was much different back then. UFC couldn't get cleared, and was on the verge of extinction. Only WWE and WCW had the power to present live pay-per-view events. And much like the pro wrestling business itself, pay-per-view was a closed-door industry. ECW couldn't get in. (READ ABOUT ECW BARELY LEGAL)

But through a radical campaign initiated by ECW fans, we got cleared to go live on pay-per-view on that fateful Sunday night. And since the PPV companies thought they were doing us a favor, they figured they would dictate some terms. Small terms, nothing substantial. Things like "You'll have a color commentator with Joey."

OR ELSE WHAT?

"Or else you won't air on pay-per-view!"

They weren't kidding. The pay

No RVD or Sabu? No Terry Funk? I call BS. Rick Rude and Public Enemy seemed like way out there picks, I get the rest though.

I think Terry Funk is the only real omission I can see, Heyman gave him the opportunity for a career renaissance and the ECW period of Funks career and after is what sticks out in a lot of fans minds. I suppose you could have any number of names in ECW that he gave a platform to, be it Tazz, Shane Douglas, RVD, Raven or even Tommy Dreamer. I really dont see it in Public Enemy. They are even bigged up in the ECW DVD too and it just seems weird. Sure they danced around like knobs but did they really contribute that much to make ECW stand out?

• Paid Members
No RVD or Sabu? No Terry Funk? I call BS. Rick Rude and Public Enemy seemed like way out there picks, I get the rest though.

Rick Rude was the crown jewel of the Dangerous Alliance in WCW though, wasn't he? So his inclusion makes perfect sense. Same with Austin.

Randy Rose & Dennis Condrey should be there, though.

Rick Rude was the crown jewel of the Dangerous Alliance in WCW though, wasn't he? So his inclusion makes perfect sense. Same with Austin.

Randy Rose & Dennis Condrey should be there, though.

When you say it like that, it sounds grand, but I found it strange that a guy Heyman managed to a US title makes it in there before guys that helped Heyman build a company.

Then again, I was barely alive when the Dangerous Alliance was around, so it might be more significant to those who watched at the time. Austin's inclusion made sense to me for the effect he had on ECW and vice versa.

I'm not surprised by Big Show. Didn't Heyman, quite rightly, have a hard on for the fantastic match Show had with Mayweather at Mania a few years ago? Rude does seem more odd though. And Austin sounds very much like the "oh, he's my guy, I saw appreciated him first" bollocks that ehyman would speak abotu a guy who was already the secondary champion in a far bigger promotion. Both the WWE and Heyman seem to enjoy pretending that austin wasn't noticed by anyone before ECW.

It'd be interesting to know how many guys in that list actually think, or did think, of themselves as Heyman guys. I'm sure Punk does. And Joey Styles too.

• Paid Members

It's highly possible that Heyman would omit people for personal reasons. He was highly fucked off with way Sabu tried to leave ECW (second time around) for WcW. Personally I've also long assumed there was quite a dose of personal embarrassment when RVD (who Heyman long championed of course) was caught with drugs on his person while WWE Champion. Cheers Rob, you've made yourself look a dick, and me a dick for lobbying so hard for you.

Public Enemy are a perfect pick for the list. Paul and ECW have long been lauded for their ability to highlight the positives of talent and conceal the weaknesses to turn them into an over act (he himself has spoken about it at length) and I can't think of a better example than TPE. There is a reason they were over like Rover in ECW and dogshit in both "the big two."

Public Enemy are a perfect pick for the list. Paul and ECW have long been lauded for their ability to highlight the positives of talent and conceal the weaknesses to turn them into an over act (he himself has spoken about it at length) and I can't think of a better example than TPE. There is a reason they were over like Rover in ECW and dogshit in both "the big two."

Would you throw Sandman into that, still managed to get over despite massive deteriation in "skills"

Archived