Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Cheers for that match listing. It looks like loads of fun! I have an inkling to get it for myself at xmas for the novelty of watching a WWE set on xmas day like the old days. Not bought a DVD in years.

Whats nutty is the video sources. On some matches the camera is as you would expect on a PPV. On others its a combination of WWE camera and fancam 

Cheers for that match listing. It looks like loads of fun! I have an inkling to get it for myself at xmas for the novelty of watching a WWE set on xmas day like the old days. Not bought a DVD in years.

Whats nutty is the video sources. On some matches the camera is as you would expect on a PPV. On others its a combination of WWE camera and fancam 

It's a bit of a niche product anyway but I'm also thinking this is a pretty big set of matches that a lot of them are going to have no commentary on. It's part of the reason I'm interested in it, actually. You can see the nuances of what's in the work of a wrestling match much easier I think without the commentary overlaying the story for you.

Anyone seen anything about the "True Story of the Royal Rumble" Blu-ray that's on Amazon?

I remember it getting sent out as a potential title on one their surveys, and remember it being announced but haven't heard anything else since. I assume it will be along the lines of True Story of Wrestlemania with a documentary about its origins and becoming the starting point of Wrestlemsnia season then a bunch of matches (first Rumble match and Rumble 92 will probably be the only Rumble matches on their) as extras

It's a bit of a niche product anyway but I'm also thinking this is a pretty big set of matches that a lot of them are going to have no commentary on. It's part of the reason I'm interested in it, actually. You can see the nuances of what's in the work of a wrestling match much easier I think without the commentary overlaying the story for you.

You'd be right.

re: HHH & HBK vs LOD, wasn't that the combo on RAW that ended with the LOD beatdown by DX and the Outlaws? I imagine the one on the DVD would have just been the house show equivalent, with more heel shenanigans.

How much from the house shows got taped (even with just one camera) back then? There's lots from over the years I've wanted to see and hoped it would come out. I remember when the Owen Rumble from '94 appeared on Youtube, a Shawn/Goldust ladder match I'd only seen pictures of, and a Flair/Warrior match popped up too. Did they have at least everything filmed just for the craic? Meltzer reckons Shawn's unprofessionalism in late-97 was causing riots, let's have a look at that! Or Bret and Shawn as a babyface tag team for odd shots in 95 and 96. Michaels and Warrior beating Vader in 12 seconds after Raw tapings in 96 that Fin would report with disdain in Power Slam. Be truly never-thought-of to get shite like that. I noticed on the listing we're getting the Sid/Shawn/Bret Triple Threat match that Raw Magazine reported on. Never ever thought I'd actually get to see the match play out.

re: HHH & HBK vs LOD, wasn't that the combo on RAW that ended with the LOD beatdown by DX and the Outlaws? I imagine the one on the DVD would have just been the house show equivalent, with more heel shenanigans.

The one on the DVD is actually a lot more even sided - no involvement from NAO at all. You can tell HBK is having a ball....shoving a boom mike between his legs and doing the 'suck it;'

Was just browsing through iPlayer and randomly thought - does anyone think there's a good chance the BBC are looking at getting some wrestling on the channel or on iPlayer?

They've done the ICW docs, a Finn Balor doc and that Superstar Wrestlers doc with WWE lately - someone there is clearly a fan.

• Paid Members

How much from the house shows got taped (even with just one camera) back then? There's lots from over the years I've wanted to see and hoped it would come out. I remember when the Owen Rumble from '94 appeared on Youtube, a Shawn/Goldust ladder match I'd only seen pictures of, and a Flair/Warrior match popped up too. Did they have at least everything filmed just for the craic? Meltzer reckons Shawn's unprofessionalism in late-97 was causing riots, let's have a look at that! Or Bret and Shawn as a babyface tag team for odd shots in 95 and 96. Michaels and Warrior beating Vader in 12 seconds after Raw tapings in 96 that Fin would report with disdain in Power Slam. Be truly never-thought-of to get shite like that. I noticed on the listing we're getting the Sid/Shawn/Bret Triple Threat match that Raw Magazine reported on. Never ever thought I'd actually get to see the match play out.

Yeah, they must be sitting on so much footage from house shows and dark matches. That's the shit I want to see and why this DVD will be the first money I've spent on wrestling in at least a couple of years.

There's loads of stuff from the early to mid 90s I've always wanted to see in good quality. Has that Bret Hart vs Macho Man WWF title match from Japan in 94 ever surfaced on a DVD release? I'd also love to see those Bret vs Owen and Bret vs Flair Ironman matches, that Bret/Taker vs Shawn/Diesel tag match from MSG in early 96 (where Diesel turns heel) and the Shawn vs Diesel cage match from the Curtain Call MSG show.

I know a lot, or all, of this stuff is on YouTube via fancam but if the WWE cameras filmed this stuff I'd love to see it released in better quality.

One of their possible future DVDs was something like "Unseen matches from the 80s", which you assume would be house shows and dark matches, another was "Unseen Shawn Michaels Matches"

With the After Raw, and this one, and more inclusion of dark matches on other DVDs lately (Daniel Bryan for example) they've obviously realised there's a use for all this footage they've never released.

I'd love to see a Before They Were Stars one, featuring big names in dark matches before they were signed, or when they were in developmental,

It's perfect content for DVDs in this day and age, since it's not something people can just find on the Network if they're that bothered about watching it.

And enough time has passed that nobody suffers for the content being out there. There's no way Bret is including 10 minute house show tags where he phones it in on his own set, but it can go on these things and nerds like us won't give a shit and get enjoyment anyway. This set also has the spot where Bulldog sells getting hit with a bag of popcorn in the middle of the ring by Dude Love - even ten years ago they'd probably not have included something like that for a need of protecting the industry or some horseshite. We're completely past that now, just about anything goes.

Been watching Raw is War from '98...   don't think I'll ever complain about an Full Sail crowd again...   the California crowd after Fully Loaded '98 were particular stinkers.  

First of all, there's the old staple of shining lasers.   Aside from the fact it ruins the way things look on screen, its pretty dangerous too,

The signs...   yes,(insert your own name here) 3:16 was pretty funny, but its been 2 years by this point.   Plus, Folks are actually jockeying with each other.   It doesn't seem like they're eager to support people, it seems more like "hey, I'm on the telly, me".  

I've pretty much described most things from Summer 98 to summer 99, but the worst thing was when they started chucking beachballs.   One got Austin and he just booted it out of the ring, there was then another 3 or 4 chucked in at once that managed to miss the ring.  

It's spanners like this that make you understand why Kevin Dunn and co don't take kindly to lads dressing up as legends and why I don't think I've ever noticed Frank the Clown on shows.  

People dressing up as legends is mostly touching and hillarious, I think, but yeah those crowds have aged as badly as the content. Some of the college towns are particularly bad. I'd loath to come across all 'real' wrestling fan and yes they were along for the ride and they pumped money into the company but you could tell that for entire sections of them it was a summer of getting stoned, drinking a few beers and coming with your giant "PETER IS A HOMO" sign.

It's not even happening during WWE's most popular period either, just that initial year or two of the era. By 2000 the crowds looked much better and were just as big and loud. Nobody ever dissects that much but I reckon things like Rock on SNL had a lot to do with it. The initial wave of the Attitude Era seemed built off burnouts and that redneck fuck-your-boss arc. By 2000 it was the closest it would ever get to complete acceptance as trendy entertainment television. Everyone was invited along.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Talking Smack is a super watch, the chemistry between Renee and DB is really good and the structure seems to lead to the talent involved shining with them.

That Miz promo last week is one of the best things I've seen on WWE TV outside a ring this decade.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz