Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Tom Magee's name popped up here again the other day and I just watched his match with Arn Anderson from a WWF TV taping in 1988.  There's a spot at around the 5 minute mark that sums up why this guy never went anywhere.  He hits a top rope moonsault (sensational for that time period), AA ducks and Magee lands on his feet.  He then gingerly slams Arn and then gives him the gentlest of nudges, which I think was supposed to be a stomp.  I swear I hit my son harder when we wrestle on his bed.

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

Benoit vs Sullivan throughout 1997 is so good, it's a shame they're both tied into fucking awful stables at the time.
The Horsemen are currently Flair and Anderson, who are rarely seen and don't wrestle (Flair just made his in-ring comeback about 2 weeks ago), Mongo, Jarrett and Debra, who are all the drizzling shits, and then Benoit who is literally carrying the name on his own.
Sullivan is with Jimmy Hart which would be fantastic on it's own, but Meng and The Barbarian are stinking the place up (the latter moreso than the former) and he brings in Jacqueline who I will stand by the comment has never been of any worth. She even busted out the line "I'm all natural" at Debra the other week, never has a more barefaced lie been told.

NWO are fucking crap though. They take up so much airtime with so many shit segments.

• Awards Moderator

Just watched Armageddon 2000 as a result of the mentions of the six-man Hell in a Cell in the SCG Cage thread. I never got to see this one at the time (though I remember I was desperate to, because IT WAS HELL IN A CELL BUT SIX MEN WOULD BE IN IT HELL IN A CELL, remember when the mere concept of the Cell was enough to get you excited for a match?) and this is probably nostalgia for 2000 talking, but that was a good show. Lots of decent stuff on the undercard, and the main event is great fun.

I remember reading Raw spoilers on a German WAP site, the only wrestling site I could find on my old Alcatel phone. We didn't have any Internet at home. I was amazed when it seemed to say they were doing a six man Hell in a Cell, wondering if I was interpreting right. It sounded like the biggest match of all time. Did the babyfaces all hit their finishers on Vince after the announcement as well?

Edited by King Pitcos

• Moderators

Just watched Armageddon 2000 as a result of the mentions of the six-man Hell in a Cell in the SCG Cage thread. I never got to see this one at the time (though I remember I was desperate to, 

It was a Channel 4 show as well, so you should have been able to. I just watched it in bed. When I was 15 I could live off 3-4 hours sleep.

Not now. Not even fucking nearly.

Just watched Armageddon 2000 as a result of the mentions of the six-man Hell in a Cell in the SCG Cage thread. I never got to see this one at the time (though I remember I was desperate to, 

It was a Channel 4 show as well, so you should have been able to. I just watched it in bed. When I was 15 I could live off 3-4 hours sleep.

Not now. Not even fucking nearly.

I was 8 and assumed it was on Sky Sports like all the other WWF PPV's I'd seen up to that point, and set the video accordingly. Couldn't have been more gutted when the VHS had taped You’re on Sky Sports instead. I nearly punched a wall when I heard it was on free telly.

VHS tapes accidently ending up with loads of You're On Sky Sports just rekindled very angry memories for me, as well.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I fucked up the timer recording for either Royal Rumble 2000 or WM 16, I can't quite remember which. I threw a sicky from work, my only one ever, and stayed in bed to watch it. About an hour in, the recording just ended and I was left to wait until the Tuesday night when a pal lent me his recording. Karma eh?

After I moved in with my girlfriend in 2000, I still paid for the Sky at my parents (we couldn't have it in our flat). So I'd cycle round every Friday night after work to set the video to tape Raw (and drop off my washing!) then I'd cycle back again on Saturday morning to pick up the tape and my clean clothes. Only thing is, my parents always went down the pub on a Friday night so despite the million post it notes I'd stick on their telly telling them not to turn it over, I lost count of the number of times the main event of Raw would turn over to some shit film on ITV or repeats of fucking Ricki Lake or something on some naff pre-UKTV repeat channel. Nightmare.

My mum recorded over Royal Rumble 2002 with EastEnders - at the height of it's Slater infested shit, no less. I was massive excited to see the old Attitude Era stalwarts back at the time, remember it perfectly, they pop up in the whole intro vignette with J.R.s voice over going "...and Goldust, Godfather, Val Venis back as well folks!" and then Kid Rock's 'Cocky' starts up and in the most comedically perfect timing ever we go from "AND NOW!" to Little Mo sitting in a dark room wondering if she's killed Trevor.

• Paid Members

I was converting a football match to DVD a couple of months back and it had Eastenders omnibus on after it at the height of the Trevor is a cunt storyline. Little Mo's Dad was busy looking for him to fill him in. I've not watched Eastenders for about six or seven years but me and the wife sat and watched that until it ran out of tape!