Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Just a fleeting thought. WWE seems stale and not on the pulse - how many African American writers and producers do they have? I know it's been seen as redneck trash before, and the Attitude era gives much ammo for that notion, but they want to have a diverse audience. They're more than capable of drawing in that market, as they do, but it could be pushed more and seem much more relevant than it currently is.

From PWTorch a few days ago

PWTorch reader Chad G. asks: Has there ever been a black creative team member? I was wondering because if there hasn't been, then that might be part of the reason WWE resorts to stereotypes as gimmicks for their Black wrestlers as they just simply don't understand black people and how all of them aren't just stereotypes, so they then just resort to broad generalizations.

PWTorch columnist Greg Parks answers: The late comedian Patrice O'Neal was on the WWE creative team, though I don't know how big of a role he played. I'm guessing there have been others, but the turnover rate on the creative staff is high, so not all members are necessarily made public.

PWTorch editor Wade Keller answers: If there is currently, I doubt he's having anything to do with the R-Truth skits lately. Aspect of how he's been presented in recent weeks is as racist and tasteless as anything I've seen in a long time in pro wrestling. Someone needs to tell Vince McMahon how offensive his funny bone is when it comes black people "sports entertaining" him.

Just watching the second episode of WrestleMania Today, which is great, and they showed a clip of John Cena hyping up his match on Jimmy Kimmel, which was brilliant. I think Cena-Rusev was the match I was most looking forward to anyway, but Cena was just superb on Kimmel. Can't wait to see him win now - the man watched Rocky V TWICE to prepare for this match, he's earned the win.

Rocky IV yeah?

He said something along the lines of "I've watched every Rocky movie twice to prepare for this match INCLUDING Rocky 5 ..." As part of a comedic rant/promo about how fired up he is. It was pretty funny.

Just a fleeting thought. WWE seems stale and not on the pulse - how many African American writers and producers do they have? I know it's been seen as redneck trash before, and the Attitude era gives much ammo for that notion, but they want to have a diverse audience. They're more than capable of drawing in that market, as they do, but it could be pushed more and seem much more relevant than it currently is.

I don't understand the question - "that market?" What market? The "redneck trash" market? What does that have to do with having black staff?

Struggling here.

Your tone in your responses are pretty grating. I meant that you've got shit like New Day and R-Truth who are pretty shit at representing African Americans. In fact, look at the Mania card - R-Truth in a ladder match he has no hope of winning as he's a comic character and New Day who are also pretty comical.

I think they're missing a trick. They have Snoop Dogg on a lot, Flo Rida, LL Cool J, but it still feels a white American TV show. I think that's down to lack of diversity of people at the top.

Fair point. I actually changed it from 'is' to 'are' as well. Sounded odd using the plural before is.

Anyway, to elaborate on the point, Mr. T helped draw eyes to Mania in the first place. Mike Tyson helped save the company. How many black main eventers of Mania have there been? I'm not saying that if you're black, you should be thrown in to the main event on that basis - I'm saying the show isn't in line with that culture enough. We're in an age where the President is black. I read today that African Americans consume more media than any other demographic in the States. Some of the most discussed celebrities are (not is, I guess?) Jay Z, Beyonce, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. It's a glaring problem really.

Edited by Sphinx

How many black main eventers of Mania have there been? 

The Rock, albeit only half of him. He's also one of the top 3 biggest stars in the companies history. I'm not saying that there isn't a lack of diversity at the top of the tree, but I don't for a second think it's due to them deliberately holding down non-white wrestlers. Lets flip that round. Of all of the Black wrestlers in the company right now, in the indies & TNA who would you think could lead WWE? 

Having a diverse writing staff is all well and great, but if you have 20 applicants and choose the 10th best simply because he's black and you want to 'diversify things up a bit' then you're hurting your product just so as to be seen as progressive.

In their current situation, I can't think of a black wrestler I'd put in the main event. But what hope do they have when they have these white, fuddy duddy minds behind them? Again, as mentioned before, I don't believe in putting a black wrestler in the main event based on the colour of his skin alone. I do believe that with younger creative minds and a more diverse writing team, these wrestlers may have more of a chance and get there.

• Paid Members

How many black main eventers of Mania have there been? 

The Rock, albeit only half of him. He's also one of the top 3 biggest stars in the companies history. I'm not saying that there isn't a lack of diversity at the top of the tree, but I don't for a second think it's due to them deliberately holding down non-white wrestlers. Lets flip that round. Of all of the Black wrestlers in the company right now, in the indies & TNA who would you think could lead WWE? 

Having a diverse writing staff is all well and great, but if you have 20 applicants and choose the 10th best simply because he's black and you want to 'diversify things up a bit' then you're hurting your product just so as to be seen as progressive.

In fairness, I don't think Sphinx is arguing that WWE is holding down black wrestlers, more that they're writing their characters badly, i.e. in line with stereotypes, etc. It seems he's saying that WWE is willing to push black wrestlers, but is resorting to lazy and cheap writing to do it, and this puts off black audiences.

Me, I don't think I agree, not completely. There have been instances of that, but simply looking at some of the black talent WWE has had in the past and attempted to push would suggest they have tried on many occasions to move beyond that. Ahmed Johnson wasn't particularly stereotypical, I think - he was simply a big, bad-ass fucker who happened to be black. Same with Ezekiel Jackson and Big E. Bobby Lashley was their attempt to create another Brockberg. I'm sure there are loads more we could name who didn't fall under the "stereotype" label.

• Paid Members

I think it's pointless too apart from certain anniversaries. It's like when they announce it's Superbowl XXZZMSHRXVI or whatever. Meaningless. Nothing to stop fans referring to it as WrestleMania 32 but I don't blame them for quietly dropping it from the logos.

• Paid Members

Apparently that's Vince's new thing. He thinks numbers make the event seem antiquated.

That makes sense, although I reckon there's also an element of personal irritation; it's probably making him feel old.

• Paid Members

It's a nonsense, considering how many DVDs they like to sell off their rich history and how they run their Hall Of Fame show celebrating that history every year. It's so contrary, it screams of a "senile old Vince" decision. As big a wrestling traditionalist as Hunter is at heart (thinking about his work on getting Bruno back onside, for instance) I reckon the Roman numerals will return once Vince is in the ground.