RAW Thread, 27th August 2012

The Natural

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snoozer for me, this week. I fucking hate Lawler, so his involvement in angles as the character he is now holds no interest for me whatsoever. I get it for trying to get Punk booed, but it doesn't entertain me all that much.

As our Summerslam 92 chum might say, Cena/Punk will be great whether it wants to or not. There's a clearly defined issue between them and it's a good one to fight for the belt over, so a couple of simple face-to-face sparring matches similar to last week would suit me more than this sort of thing with Punk. I almost feel sorry for him that the heel turn they really want to achieve will be hurt by a fairly vocal minority that want to cheer him regardless of what he does. I also didn't appreciate how it appears as if they've panicked with a slow-burning turn in favour of him being an out-and-out cunt. The whole "the heel has to believe he's doing the right thing" principle fell away this week, he was just being a bully to the little old paedo from the announce desk.

Anger management with Kane was a fucking blast, the rest was a total bore. Raw's been in trouble for yonks now anyway, this is nothing new.

• Paid Members

For what I saw, it was canny shite, although I was just flicking through it. I did watch the opener live, though, and that was good. Jerry Lawler pisses all over Cena and Punk for me. Just my opinion, but I don't think they can touch Lawler on the microphone. Which isn't a shocking statement since Lawler's one of the best ever, but it still rings true now. He's just so different to everyone else and his style is so real. He doesn't come across as he's acting either, with is super rare these days. That opening promo was ace. Its mad how he's 63 and still so sharp, when most of the others from his era (and a few years younger than him) are complete dribblers.

• Paid Members

Punk's in a weird spot right now. The fans don't really want to boo him, and certainly a portion will always back him over Cena. Jerry Lawler is great and that, but he's been bitch slapped so often the last couple of years that it just feels routine now when a heel caves his skull in. We'll see what happens next week, but I hope this Punk turn doesn't go the same way as them forcing the Jericho heel turn at the start of the year. It highlights how weak the roster is that they're using Jerry Lawler AGAIN to try and get a heel over.

Anybody else hope we get a Daniel Bryan/Kane odd couple tag team? Both are tremendous in their roles, and I think it'll be a hoot them hamming it up as a team. Bryan's heat reminds me of the old WWF acts from the 80s, when the fans would loudly chant personalized insults at them to get a reaction. The weekly "YES!"/"NO!" duels with Affliction dude are nicely done too.

The Triple H segment was one big anti-climax. Triple H did well to get the fans going mental with his "Not sure yet, pals" 'retirement speech'. It did make me realise how much poorer the WWE will be when he's gone though.

Nothing else happened, other than Punk going one step closer to generic with his Cena/Orton buzz cut.

Again, a good two hour show.

• Paid Members

Least enjoyable Raw I've seen for quite a while and from the incessant "booooring" chants from the crowd, it seemed like they agreed.

Bits that actually stood out enough to pass judgement on:

Ryback and Jack Swagger's match was one of the sloppiest, shittiest and most awkward looking matches I can ever remember seeing.

Brodus Clay can dance his way under a fucking bus for all I care, I can't believe this gimmick has ran and ran and ran and ran with absolute no storyline involvement ever.

As odd a pairing as I first thought it was, Daniel Bryan and Kane make a really good duo, the anger management stuff was gold in amongst a massive pile of shite.

And finally, CM Punk's heel turn has been utter pants.

Punk: "respect, respect, WWE Champion, respect, back seat to Cena, respect"

Crowd: "CM PUNK, CM PUNK, CM PUNK"

Punk: "Jerry you said something trivial and not really offence so I want to fight you"

Crowd: "Boooooooo, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry"

FUCK OFFFFFFFF

• Paid Members
The whole "the heel has to believe he's doing the right thing" principle fell away this week, he was just being a bully to the little old paedo from the announce desk.

Maybe that's it. Punk's merely using the respect/apology as a thinly-veiled reason to eliminate Lawler, all the while actually having the righteous intention of protecting the worlds schoolgirls from a sick predator. Works for me, any tolerance I had left for The King evaporated during his interminable feud with Cole.

And finally, CM Punk's heel turn has been utter pants.

Punk: "respect, respect, WWE Champion, respect, back seat to Cena, respect"

Crowd: "CM PUNK, CM PUNK, CM PUNK"

It should be surprising that Punk isn't obnoxious enough to get a large vocal majority to support Cena over him, given the fact that Punk's a complete tosser. Sadly, the type of fan that will cheer Punk regardless (because he's "the best in the world") and the type that will mercilessly boo Cena over his not-flawless execution are one and the same. As a heel, Punk would benefit with a transfer to SmackDown to feud with other faces like Orton and Sheamus that are more likely to be cheered against him. That's assuming WWE care if the live crowds react to their stars in the "right" way or not. Which clearly, they don't.

Archived