RAW Thread, 27th August 2012

The Natural

• Paid Members
It should be surprising that Punk isn't obnoxious enough to get a large vocal majority to support Cena over him, given the fact that Punk's a complete tosser. Sadly, the type of fan that will cheer Punk regardless (because he's "the best in the world") and the type that will mercilessly boo Cena over his not-flawless execution are one and the same. As a heel, Punk would benefit with a transfer to SmackDown to feud with other faces like Orton and Sheamus that are more likely to be cheered against him. That's assuming WWE care if the live crowds react to their stars in the "right" way or not. Which clearly, they don't.

I'd have to agree Punk could be doing with some time away from Raw, I think he needs to freshen up a bit. I would still say he's the best wrestler on their roster but his character just seems so stale and sadly I think we're going to have a Punk and Cena feud until it's rumble time. Maybe with Rock's involvement later in the year he'll get the crowd reaction he needs to be the convincing heel he should be instead of all this cheap heat shite that's just plain transparent.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the bald guy with the beard during the anger management class looked like GQ money

heh turns out it was him

Harold was played by Scorpio Sky too.

I thought that was Sky initially but then thought I was just being a horrible racist. He's done pretty well; TNA and WWE TV in the space of two months.

the bald guy with the beard during the anger management class looked like GQ money

heh turns out it was him

Harold was played by Scorpio Sky too.

I thought that was Sky initially but then thought I was just being a horrible racist. He's done pretty well; TNA and WWE TV in the space of two months.

Blk Jeez managed TNA and WWE tv matches in the space of a week, but yeah still not a shabby accolade.

I felt like I was descending into commentator hell when Josh Matthews came out.

I thought it was the poorest one for a while, and though it's starting to sound a little trite, 3 hours is just too bloody long. And that's with fast forwarding through all the adverts/Brodus Clay dancing.

Slater showing Santino how to do the air-guitar dance was mildly amusing.

Steel cage match - remember when they used to be something pretty interesting, special even? Kurt Angle moonsault off the top against Benoit. That wasn't even PPV, FFS. Now we have a King getting a beatdown and no-one gives a shit.

• Paid Members

I'm obviously in the minority, but I enjoyed the show and reckon it was the best in a while. Don't get me wrong, there was enough shite on there to sicken a pig, but over the piece it was alright.

The anger management stuff was a riot. I've enjoyed watching Kane over the years and I thought he was superb in these skits, D-Bry too. All too often this sort of caper is beyond unwatchable but this was well executed and reasonably well acted. I hope they dont turn Bryan into a complete clown as he has the potential to be magnificent , but this was good stuff.

I liked the Lawler/Punk/Cena deal. The cage match was a drag until the end but I thought Punk was incredible, what an absolute prick. Don't you just hate this obnoxious tosser? Great stuff.

As well as Brodus Clay being a bit creepy, his execution is sloppy beyond belief. Get the fat wretch off or do something interesting. If I wanted a fat man landing on somebody every week they can bring Tugboat back.

The Ryback match was the shits but it was good to see him getting a decent reaction and his "Feed me more" seemed to be well received. The jury's out on this guy, making mincemeat of a former world champion you'd hope he was going places and I actually like his stuff, but he could go either way.

All in all, enjoyed the show, a step in the right direction.

• Paid Members

Punk seemed to be stumbling over the opening promo more than usual.

I don't like that he's morphed into a generic heel though.

Also fed up of seeing Sheamus Brogue Kick and pin Dolph Ziggler. Bored of Sheamus full stop though.

In this PG kinda era what was the point in CM Punk blading when King was punching him in the head only for him to wipe it off with a towel when he got out of the cage? I don't really get what that was trying to prove.

All in all, and I hate to repeat what been said before, but it is becoming so much of a chore to sit through Raw, I actually think im watching it quicker now then when it was 2 hours with the FF button. Theres noway that can be a good thing.

Have they really taken the US title off of Santino just to have his Cobra flirt with Aksana?

Pinc said this in the Death thread:

If Lawler just spontaneously checked out at the announce table like Buffalo Ray in series 6 of the Sopranos, leaving Cole to hold the broadcast together while Vince or whoever loses his shit over the headset. That'd be a shocker.

Which made me think they could actually do an angle like this in an effort to make a bigger cunt out of CM Punk. After The King's taken such a thraping from Punk this week, next week or in a few weeks time, suddenly you hear a small thud and Cole goes "Jerry?" or something like that, makes another quick comment then tries to get on with his job. As the camera shows the ring from different angles, you can see Lawler slumped at the desk, and then after the ads, it's suddenly Josh Matthews and they don't mention it again for the night. As the weeks go on, it can turn out Punk's given him some sort of serious head trauma or whatever, and you've got a potentially decent PPV match with the two of them/somebody defending Lawler's honour. You could have Lawler having to retire and all sorts, really drive the emotion up off the power of the original angle.

• Paid Members
I heard from somewhere that Raw is coming from Chicago next week, so expect it that much harder for Punk to get the crowd to boo him.

I'm not sure why its necessary to be booed, Punk can be the next most loved heel since Stone Cold and if it is from Chicago next week then all the more. I can see Punk running into Vince again after last night's main event.

Not a bad Raw, great Kane/Bryan skit but the HHH segment was disappointing and I think he was after more of a reaction than what he got. Sort of funny that he said he didn't want to be one of those guys who wrestled just for a cheque or the nostalgia pop in the same episode as Lawler is in a steel cage main event.

Was nice to see Ziggler without Vickie for a change and hope they do keep this momentum with Bryan. He gets such a reaction from the crowd. I love Twitter but even I'm sick of hearing about it on the shows. Sandow is probably one of the most interesting of all the roster right now and I'm with Nexus on their point about Sheamus. His match at Summerslam wasn't bad but probably needs to drop the belt to Bryan for Ziggler to cash in to send Bryan completely off the rails.

The Ryback match was the shits but it was good to see him getting a decent reaction and his "Feed me more" seemed to be well received. The jury's out on this guy, making mincemeat of a former world champion you'd hope he was going places and I actually like his stuff, but he could go either way.

But it was Jack Swagger, who no one gives a shit about, and rightly so.

In this PG kinda era what was the point in CM Punk blading when King was punching him in the head only for him to wipe it off with a towel when he got out of the cage? I don't really get what that was trying to prove.

Was it that noticable that he bladed? I didn't see it.

I thought it was a pretty good episode of Raw, but i just think the 3 hour format is killing the crowd. Especially with still filming superstars before and having a dark match after.

• Paid Members

But it was Jack Swagger, who no one gives a shit about, and rightly so.

True. Swagger was in Ryback's position about 4 years ago with an undefeated streak so you can see where its heading for Ryback.

Archived