How to get back into wrestling...

Michael_3165

Thanks everyone!! I had this mental idea that I should watch every week cos "that's what a fan should do" . I might record raw tonight and see what comes of it :)

One thing I noticed though... There's way too many hours of wrestling weekly now. It's probably stopped me watching cos I got burnt out with it all!!

I discovered different flavours of wrestling

Different flavours, I like that.

Yesterday for instance, I spent a daft amount of time concentrating on wrestling. During the course of the day I watched a low level deathmatch tournament from 2008, a technical / hard hitting card by Dragon Gate USA from last year, and a compilation disc of WCW mid card matches from mid 1998. In the breaks between I wrote some stuff for on here, and started reading Gold Dust

I first "found" wrestling when ITV had WCW in the early 90s when I was a kid. When they stopped showing it (not sure when), I couldn't watch it as I didn't have sky. I did occasionally get a wwf wrestling ppv video for my birthday and christmas but still didn't really know what was going on. Similarly to Windoesnot, I started watching again when Channel 4 got Heat and some PPVs. Then I just read the WWF results on the internet and bought the videos of the ppvs as I still did not have sky. Eventually when I got broadband around 2006 I could watch Raw and Smackdown religiously on You Tube or DailyMotion. If it wasn't for the Internet I probably wouldn't be watching now. Now that TNA is on Challenge on freeview and their product has gotten significantly better, I watch impact every week. However as most TV on today is boring there is rarely a day I go without without watching some wrestling.

As far as catching up with WWE we are in the "start stop" era, where people get pushed and then they don't. So I reckon with the Raw 1000th episode could be a good idea to tune in. If there are storylines that you do not understand there is always Wikipedia or clips on You Tube. The same applies with TNA really as it is starting to get good.

There is a lot of programming with the WWE and so you can pick or choose whether to watch just Raw or Smackdown. It depends on what kind of wrestling you like to watch. With TNA, there is not that much programming to watch.

It's best to watch wrestling without critically reviewing it and enjoy it. Its supposed to be entertainment after all.

• Moderators
What do you make of Goldust's book, Rich? I thought it was awful. I was expecting a lot from it as well, considering the interesting life and career he's had.

I thought it was a shite pamphlet. As one of my all time favourites I was hoping for far more both figuratively and literally.

What keeps me interested in wrestling is simply reading as little about it as possible. I read a few theads on here, but always avoid spoilers (unless they're not marked as spoilers e.g. some daft cunt in the NXT thread spoiling some of the title tournament). But apart from this site, I don't read anything about wrestling at all. There's so much negativity and cynicism around now that it can hamper your view of a product, and I find it best to ignore that for the most part.

• Paid Members
1) how long have you been a fan?

2) have you ever stopped watching? If so why?

3) how can I get back into it? Anything people would suggest?

I've been a fan for about 20 years. I can't imagine my life without pro wrestling. I don't let it rule my life, but it's always there. I've spent an awful lot of my disposable income on it over the years, and it's a good four years in my estimation since I went a day without doing anything wrestling-related, even if a big majority of days nowadays are limited to catching up on goings on via this forum and other sites.

I have stopped watching wrestling in the past, for a good 12 months between 2007 and 2008 when I was living with my girlfriend with no Sky. I carried on going to shows, but I had no favourites left in WWE and was frustrated with TNA's television. Probably the only wrestling I watched was the Rumble and WrestleMania. I picked up the odd ROH DVD and carried on reading results, but I couldnt be bothered watching it. I started watching again more frequently when Punk won his first World title as I was emotionally attached to him as a hangover from my ROHbot ways. I carried on watching more when Jeff Hardy won the WWE title as even though I didn't particularly like him, it seemed new and exciting and more proof that they were willing to try newer guys at the top. By the time Undertaker and Shawn Michaels delivered their excellent match at Mania XXV, I was already getting sent a CD of each PPV and Youtubing the major incidents of each Raw every week. It ebbs and flows now, but I've developed favourites again - Punk, Bryan, Ziggler (though I'm going off him a bit) - and that's the key to keeping me interested.

Honestly, whenever I get to the verge of not bothering again, something does pull me back in. Usually it's just great matches. TNA for instance at the moment has just kept me coming back for me with some great matches on PPV. If it feels like ages since something current has grabbed me, I keep my interest level up by revisiting some old favourites. Such as Royal Rumble 1991, which I may have mentioned a few hundred times.

• Paid Members

Been a fan since 88-89, loved it the moment I saw it. Fell out of love around the age of 14 because tits were popping up everywhere and they seemed more interesting than jim powers.

Got back in to it 'a bit' when Todd was presenting mania, it was on sky during lunch time. DSF were also showing recap shows, and had tits during the breaks, winners all round.

Got fully back in to it around attitude era, and until about 02. Watched bits and bobs until 2010, but filled that 8 year gap with old tapes and sets from old school companies I had very little knowledge of.

I have been watching on a 3-4 week kind of basis, but this past year has been a weekly watch.

I was a huge fan of Wrestling from 1998 until like late 2003. I watched Raw and Smackdown religiously, tried to catch PPV's when my Uncles taped them (Hey Silky Kisser) and caught other random bits of WCW and stuff like Heat. When I wasn't watching it on TV I was watching videos or playing with the figures. But in late 03 I really got into watching and playing football and wrestling sort of slipped to the wayside. But then in late 05/start of 06 I slowly started to watch again. Over the passed few years i've caught PPV's when they've been on Sky Sports and generally I order Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania and occasionally others that catch my interest e.g. Extreme Rules this year due to Brock v Cena. I'm not as into it now as I was back in 98-03 but it's decent I guess. That being said I can't wait for Raw 1000 tonight.

• Paid Members

been a fan since i can remember, but my fascination/obsession period was around the Attitude/end of ECW time, i lived/breathed wrestling, i loved it and i don't look back on that period with any regrets.

I think i fell out of love with it more to do with MMA than anything else, when i started with MMA it simply gave me everything i loved about wrestling and added something wrestling simply can't match and i simply stopped watching, i wouldn't say i stopped being a fan, i just stopped watching....the toning down of the product certainly didn't help. I always kept one finger on the pulse because of the UKFF but i did lose track.

Getting back into it has been weird, im by no means obsessed like i used to be, i just watch it for fun now. I think that's the difference, before, it got to the point where i stopped having fun watching it and was watching it as a chore and i was over-thinking what i was watching. Another difference now is that i avoid spoilers. Back in the day i would always read spoilers before watching a show, i pretty much knew what was going to happen before i saw it and i loved it...what the fuck was i thinking?! i can't fathom why i did that these days.

An example of that was at this years Royal Rumble, i watched it with 2 other boys who are bigger fans that i am, and when the 'surprise entrants' came out they both said 'i knew that was gonna happen, i read it online earlier' or whatever, i just thought...why the hell would you wanna know before you actually watch it? they spoilt it for themselves.

It's the same for Raw 1000 tonight, im assuming most fans pretty much know exactly who's appearing already...fuck that, im avoiding all talk and i'm gonna watch it and see how it plays out.

Try that as a way to get back into it, avoid spoilers?

• Paid Members

I agree mate, I do my very best to avoid spoilers, hence why I'm really looking forward to tonight. This is going to sound a bit crackers, but I also block my ears when the one man bands in the ring, he gives away the legend opponent before they hit the ramp. I love that buzz of surprise.

• Paid Members

The fact that you don't enjoy the current product doesn't mean you're not a fan anymore.

I'm so glad that TNA's rekindled my habit of watching Wrestling on a weekly basis, but apart from when an oldie turns up, i'm just not interested in watching Raw etc any more. The show isn't intended for people like me, but it's more that WWE have turned a different direction rather than me having a change of heart.

• Paid Members

I was watching wrestling when i was a baby (b.1989) with my brother up until 2004.

Wrestling was my No1 thing to everybody who knew me. Always great memory's off getting my hands on a sky magazine and looking for when a PPV would be on and asking my aunt to record them until i got it myself around 98.

What got me back into it was my dad saw somebody selling around 100 wrestling VHS for

Archived