The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea if this season of Ultimate Fighter will be on BT Sports channel, I assumed you meant it was on in the UK tonight so I looked but they are showing the last season of Ultimate Fighter instead with Stipe Vs Cormier.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:25 AM, Egg Shen said:

dunno if we wanna do a thread or not, and i had no idea until just now but the new season of TUF starts tonight!

03433_TUF28_Premiere-Banners_1200x628.jp

Womens Featherweights and Men heavyweights.

Wow, that will flop so bad. Going out with a whimper. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, OzExile said:

Wow, that will flop so bad. Going out with a whimper. 

Define 'flop'? At this point TUF exists for extra content & an avenue to bring in new fighters who audiences have a chance to familiarise themselves with. Like the TNC series. I'm pretty certain the UFC aren't chasing TV ratings with TUF any more so as long as there's entertaining fights on it who (apart from the smarkiest of smarks) gives a shit about the numbers? If the UFC get 2 decent new HW's out of this it's a success.

Dana said they are going to do one a year now but they are selling the TUF mansion, the TUF fights should be 3 rounds and count on your record, that female flyweight champion is 4-2 but she won 3 fights in the house that would have made her record look better. They have already taped the contender series for the Brazilian market, so it shouldn't matter if its not live, it's extra content for either ESPN, ESPN + or even Fight Pass.

• Paid Members

It's not working for me for some reason. But unless it's "He used to  give me roses, I wish he could again" or a public apology for making poor Meg Morris' night shifts miserable for years then I'm not interested. 

• Paid Members
On 8/31/2018 at 6:26 PM, wandshogun09 said:

It's not working for me for some reason. But unless it's "He used to  give me roses, I wish he could again" or a public apology for making poor Meg Morris' night shifts miserable for years then I'm not interested. 

Nah, she was posting about how badly Puerto Rico's suffering, and how Trump's left them behind.

20 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The UFC are lining up BJ Penn/Ryan Hall for later in the year. As little as i wanna see Penn fight again, that may be one of the few matches i wouldnt mind seeing him in.

That's a decent little fight, actually. If matched correctly I have no issue with these "legends" continuing to compete. Should be a bit of a grapple nerds dream, so I'm in.

• Paid Members

Couple of good heavyweight fights have been announced. 

Francis Ngannou vs Curtis Blaydes 2 main events a Fight Night in China on Nov 25th. 

And Junior Dos Santos vs Tai Tuivasa headlines the Australia Fight Night on Dec 2nd. 

Sources are MMAJunkie and MMAFighting.com

The Ngannou vs Blaydes rematch is interesting to me. Ngannou is the only man to beat Blaydes so far but the timing of them meeting again now sees Big Francis coming off that awful fight with Derrick Lewis where he looked gun-shy and did sod all. Blaydes had come along nicely since their first fight as well with wins over Hunt and Overeem. Ngannou really needs to get over that mental hump, another loss here would be pretty disastrous. 

And JDS vs Tuivasa should be great. Still can't help thinking they're moving Tuivasa along just a tad too quickly, he barely scraped by Arlovski last time out and he's young with just 8 MMA fights. It just seems too fast. But while JDS is still handy, he's way past his peak so he might be ripe for a Tuivasa KO at this point. Either way it's going to be exciting while it lasts. 

• Paid Members

I think so as well. On paper, Blaydes has all the tools to make Ngannou's night fucking miserable. And now Stipe has revealed the blueprint. It'll be easier said than done of course, if Ngannou were to start off going at Blaydes like he did Miocic early then I'm not sure Blaydes gets through it like Stipe did. But I'm not sure that Ngannou exists anymore either. That loss to Stipe seems to have sapped his confidence to let loose more than anything. And the Lewis fight, which should've been a good style opponent for Ngannou in a bounce back fight, must've only added to him losing confidence. If he's hesitant here I see Blaydes taking him down repeatedly and making a mess of him. We'll see but he's got to make something happen soon before the rot really sets in. 

Archived