Should Wrestling Been Taught In Schools

ajmcstyles

Freestyle Wrestling  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Our school didn't eve have football as one of it's 'proper' sports, which I thought was fucking ridiculous given what a huge sport it is in this country.

Same here. We were stuck with fucking lacrosse and rugby as two of the three main sports. Lacrosse! What a shit sport.

• Paid Members

I would be in favour of it, but I can't see it taking off on that sort of level. Wrestling is so ingrained into the average American male from a young age, it would take the UK a long time to put anything like the system they have in in the US together over here, plus most of the kids in this country wouldn't give two fucks about it.

Although, With the popularity of MMA gyms growing, the amount on Wrestling taught in these types of gyms is bound to be on the increase. I'm no expert, but I'd bet that most people going to a martial art class these days are doing so because they've watched the UFC, and with Wrestling generally being viewed as the best 'base' to enter MMA with, it makes sense that in a few years we'll see it advertised alongside Judo and Takewondo and the like.

• Paid Members

I believe that proper English wrestling was taught in schools many years ago, and it was revisitted on one of those "how we used to live" programs a couple of years ago.

It would be nice as an option if the school has the facilities to support it. In my upper school we had the option of football, rugby, cricket, or you could be a nancy go and play volleyball or hockey with the girls (our PE teacher had a few issues with his masculinity).

Kids that like wrestling are supposedly fat nerds, so providing a sport that appeals to fat nerds would be an ideal solution, theoretically.

We did a shit load of shit sports at my school. Football, Hockey, High Jump, Swimming, Cross Country and Volleyball to name a few. They were all shit apart from Football and Swimming. I remember watching a wee ned elbow drop a poor "geek" during Rugby. The "geek" didn't even have the ball. If pricks over here can't be civil during Rugby then you have really no chance with Wrestling. One broken neck and it would be banned anyway. Pointless. Saying that however, we did have some great wrestling matches at primary school. Playtime meant Stunners and Rock Bottoms galore. My finisher was the Belly To Belly Suplex, Ken Shamrock style.

There was actually a couple of weeks where we could choose to do freestyle wrestling in P.E. As a 14 year-old, this sounded a fucking wonderful way of spending 2 hours while the sporty kids played football. However, I soon realised that the P.E. teachers knew nothing about wrestling or how it was taught, and when they paired me up to "wrestle" somebody about almost a foot taller than me and 4 or 5 stone heavier than me, I started to play football instead.

It shouldn't be taught unless there's somebody there supervising who actually knows what they're doing. In that case, it should be an extra curriculum activity.

The gym I go to does childrens kickboxing, BJJ and grappling classes. They're all very popular especially the Saturday morning grapppling classes. As a sport I don't think it should be a curriculum sport, many schools wouldn't allow it because of the fact it's a full contact sport because of their insurance problems. A big difference between the states and here is you can get a wrestling scholarship to go to college, where there isn't anything like that over here. Whereas sports like foootball, Rugby Cricket etc can be played at a professional level there's nothing like that for wrestling apart from as an olympic sport. So as an extra curriculum sport I think it's great if kids want to do it, but not as part of the curriculum.

It's far from being a US-only thing, that's for sure. It would appear that the top amateur wrestling talent is drawn from countries as diverse as the US, Iran, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Japan and both North & South Korea.

I don't think our schooling system would allow it, but I think it should.

I wish our school did Footy all year round. Instead we did Rugby, Swimming and all kinds of other stuff that I was shit at.

Same. I think we had about two weeks of football a year. I was shit at it as well, but I enjoyed it a lot more than all the others.

• Paid Members
It's far from being a US-only thing, that's for sure. It would appear that the top amateur wrestling talent is drawn from countries as diverse as the US, Iran, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Japan and both North & South Korea.

I don't think our schooling system would allow it, but I think it should.

I actually believe Iran #1 in this area.

• Paid Members
I wish our school did Footy all year round. Instead we did Rugby, Swimming and all kinds of other stuff that I was shit at.

Same. I think we had about two weeks of football a year. I was shit at it as well, but I enjoyed it a lot more than all the others.

My school fucked us badly with our choices, when the PE teachers were trying to get us to take it as an option in year 10 they told us we could choose football, rugby, cricket, squash, weights and a multitude of actual sports....somehow, besides football, the two I was forced to take at GCSE level were hockey and trampolining.

• Paid Members

Wrestling is massive with the Iranians especially of the ones David mentioned. Like everyone's said it won't ever be on the same level here as it is in the US. The Yanks have got a long tradition of amateur freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling that is taught from an early age in schools.

Over here I'm not even sure how many people realise there's a style of wrestling that's in the Olympics. If you say wrestling to most people in the UK they'll say 'Yeah Hulk Hogan and Legion Of Doom were my favourites'.

I think for MMA Judo is a good base for UK fighters to learn because it combines throws, submissions and trains your upper body strength, your grip, your base and your balance. And there's still plenty of places to train it over here.

I do believe some kind of combat sports should be taught in schools. It's a way to create discipline, channel aggression and gain focus. I did boxing for a few years and I found it very enjoyable - it's also a great confidence builder, a lot of kids seem to have low self esteem these days and doing well at boxing etc would improve that.

Also, the fitness aspect of boxing is very important, and if you train hard and do it properly it would do a lot to combat child obesity/unhealthiness and even depression through the exercise and extra confidence. For me it's much more worthwhile than teaching kids some history lesson that they barely pay attention to and is generally focused on facts and regurgitation rather than any proper lessons that history can teach (and this is coming from a History degree student - if they're just going to teach information in school History lessons, the interested kids would be better served looking it up in their spare time).

There are drawbacks of course - with big class sizes it might be hard to implement, and you'd need to do at least a term for people to get any good at. Safety issues would clearly have to be looked at (though easily solved by helmets, padding, etc). It would be much better than, say, hockey, for kids overall. Plus if you included stuff like assault courses and circuit training etc the children could get fit in a more stimulating way. Sadly with health and safety all of that is just a pipe dream.

MMA would be an alternative to boxing, especially since it's really in right now, but I guess it's a bit violent. I think plain greco roman wrestling would be fairly boring for most kids.

When I was at school football was always on the cards I got out of it a lot of the time by being on the rugby team so September through to march I could always be in rugby practice. Though if the weather was really shit then we had indoor sports basketball being my favourite, but we also had badmington and other shitty sports like netball.

Archived