Should Wrestling Been Taught In Schools

ajmcstyles

Freestyle Wrestling  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was discussing with a few mates from training, this subject came up with the UK Vs The States.

Should Freestyle Wrestling be taught in schools like they are in the US?

It would give students a chance to learn something different instead of say football for students to do. Unfortunately football was the only thing that took part at my primary and secondary school and I can;t stand it.

Its a grey area, its not really acceptable over here like it is in the states.

Thoughts?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No abuse please, it's a civil question.

I'd say no. It's not part of our culture at all. It's not something we particularly need either. i can't see any benefit that we wouldn't get from the sports we already teach.

• Paid Members

I don't think it should be "taught" like a lesson, but my old school did Judo, Karate, Gymnastics, etc outside of school hours. I think Amateur Wrestling could fit into that sort of criteria.

I would have loved it to have been taught when I was at school, and I'm sure my kids would enjoy it as they are big wwe fans. But as previously said its not as big in Britain as in the States. The problem would also be finding qualified teachers, though I'm sure the BWC would help out! If cricket can be deemed worthy of a spot on the national curriculum

Then I don't see why freestyle couldn't be considered, if the funding and experience were in place.

But when u look at the funding and effort put into the training of footie in this country, I can't imagine wrestling getting a fair shake.

• Paid Members

ajmcstyles: Are you serious that football is/was the only sport you ever did at school? Admittedly I went to school in the 90s, but in secondary school we did football, rugby and athletics regularly, hockey fairly regularly, and I can remember doing basketball, cricket, lacrosse, rounders and handball at least once in games class, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Then in year 11 we were allowed to do off-site games including snooker, weightlifting or squash.

No wrestling as such, though for rugby warm up once we did what was basically a no-striking battle royale.

I don't think it should be "taught" like a lesson, but my old school did Judo, Karate, Gymnastics, etc outside of school hours. I think Amateur Wrestling could fit into that sort of criteria.

My thoughts exactly.

For some reason though, I can

• Paid Members
ajmcstyles: Are you serious that football is/was the only sport you ever did at school? Admittedly I went to school in the 90s, but in secondary school we did football, rugby and athletics regularly, hockey fairly regularly, and I can remember doing basketball, cricket, lacrosse, rounders and handball at least once in games class, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

We did pretty much all of these as well, with some volleyball, tennis and badminton, too. I've never heard of any school that only does football right the year round.

• Moderators

Our school didn't eve have football as one of it's 'proper' sports, which I thought was fucking ridiculous given what a huge sport it is in this country. We had Rugby, Hockey and Cricket as our 'proper' sports.

Not that it mattered to me anyway.. I bunked off PE or got put in the slackers group that faffed about in the gym and got to do fun things instead.

I must admit for school I did the following:-

- Basketball, Cross Country & Rugby in the winter

- Athletics, Tennis & Cricket in the summer

When we reached year 9, we did get some more varied sports, including football. I preferred playing basketball so stuck to that, but did have judo & fencing.

Judo was EASILY the most fun, even if some times I got legitimately battered.

Freestyle wrestling? Probably not. Some form of martial art? Yes.

• Paid Members
Our school didn't eve have football as one of it's 'proper' sports, which I thought was fucking ridiculous given what a huge sport it is in this country. We had Rugby, Hockey and Cricket as our 'proper' sports.

It's not too bad in North Wales as we did more than our fair share of Football, Cricket etc. But in South Wales i've heard plenty of instances where Rugby is pretty much the entire sporting curriculum. God, I hate that shower of shite sport!

Archived