The old style Match Graphics

Evo2012

Anyone else a fan of those posed pictures they used to use for hyping matches? I loved how home-made some of them looked, with superimposed title belts and whatnot. I recall the ones for Insurrextion and Rebellion changing week to week as the WWF hadn't a clue on a final card. Here's another few for a main event that kept switching up.

xvXr5.jpg

o61Qy.jpg

doxJt.jpg

Yeah, I miss those!

Actually looking at them has made me feel all nostalgic for the Free for All/half hour before PPVs, you know where they tried to sell you the PPV? A lot of the VHS copies of PPVs had them tacked on the beginning. Loads of examples of graphics on those obviously.

What bugs me about the match up graphics these days, is they look very good with the moving clips of the wrestlers, in WWE at least, until they flash and it cuts to horrible looking images, for the static versions. Why not just use the moving clips in a final pose or something. Though WWE have updated their entire roster pages with brand new full length shots of their talent, which they probably should now use, but probably won't.

What bugs me about the match up graphics these days, is they look very good with the moving clips of the wrestlers, in WWE at least, until they flash and it cuts to horrible looking images, for the static versions.

I know what you mean there, I think it looks rubbish as well. They only recently started doing that though, didn't they?

• Paid Members
Was that Chyna vs Steve Austin graphic from Summerslam 1999 legit? They were really going with that?!? Wow.

EDIT: I bet they would have got a bazillion buys for it too.

Well, it was certainly advertised, at least for a week (as the match graphic proves, although it may have been less than the duration of a single Raw), but I very much doubt it was legit~ the plan at any point.

Basically, Austin vs HHH was set in stone as the SummerSlam main event, but Austin picked up a minor knee injury (amongst his laundry list of injuries around that time) so they needed to cover for that. The way they did it was through a series of rather contrived No.1 contenders matches which saw Chyna beating HHH for the contendership in a flukey manner during a 3-way with Taker, Mankind beating Chyna for it, Shane McMahon then insisting Mankind defend it against HHH, and those two doing a double-pin (involving 2 guest referees, Shane & Commissoner Shawn Michaels) resulting in 2 No.1 contenders and the triple threat.

Ah, the Attitude era...

Was that Chyna vs Steve Austin graphic from Summerslam 1999 legit? They were really going with that?!? Wow.

Well, it was certainly advertised, at least for a week (as the match graphic proves, although it may have been less than the duration of a single Raw), but I very much doubt it was legit~ the plan at any point.

Basically, Austin vs HHH was set in stone as the SummerSlam main event, but Austin picked up a minor knee injury (amongst his laundry list of injuries around that time) so they needed to cover for that. The way they did it was through a series of rather contrived No.1 contenders matches which saw Chyna beating HHH for the contendership in a flukey manner during a 3-way with Taker, Mankind beating Chyna for it, Shane McMahon then insisting Mankind defend it against HHH, and those two doing a double-pin (involving 2 guest referees, Shane & Commissoner Shawn Michaels) resulting in 2 No.1 contenders and the triple threat.

Ah, the Attitude era...

Yep, it was advertised for a week until they got Mankind involved six days prior to Summerslam. Interestingly enough, they went off the air on the night without a chosen winner. They had Linda McMahon announce triple threat rules on the following Saturday morning's Livewire.

Here's a good example of the messy title belt situations I was talking about! The belt looks pretty dodgy.

GuLrD.jpg

Ah, the Attitude era...

Better days my friend, better days. None of this immature 'logical' PG bullshit now.

This thread concerns about ten years after the prime of on screen match graphics.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Wrestlemania 9 was particularly awesome I thought.

mega-maniacs-money-inc.jpg

Am I right in thinking that during the preshow the wrestlers were mosaics before flashing into the image above?

Archived