Best British Albums of the last 60 years

KingOfMetal

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
1. Iron Maiden / The Number of the Beast (9.18%)

No it isn't.

I really do wish they would not ask the Great British Public on matters such as these and would instead ask me, and just people I deem appropriate.

• Moderators

I have actually listened to, properly all the way through, only 9 of those albums.

I've never listened to a whole Beatles album. :omg:

Edit: 11 of them. I missed Led Zeppelin and The Clash on first count (I haven't heard both of the Zeppelin albums listed).

• Paid Members

No it isn't.

I really do wish they would not ask the Great British Public on matters such as these and would instead ask me, and just people I deem appropriate.

I'm with you.

It should've been Powerslave.

What an odd list. Teenage fanclub in the same list as fucking Adele? Crazy. Teenage fanclub are an absolutely tremendous band and Adele is the flavour of the month. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Adele isn't talented, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect her album to be listed if they done this poll again two years time.

No it isn't.

I'm with you.

It should've been Powerslave.

I agree. NOTB isn't even top 3 Maiden albums. Violator over DSOTM is shocking. And where the hell's The Wall?!?

• Paid Members
What an odd list. Teenage fanclub in the same list as fucking Adele? Crazy. Teenage fanclub are an absolutely tremendous band and Adele is the flavour of the month. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Adele isn't talented, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect her album to be listed if they done this poll again two years time.

It's already the fifth best selling album in British history, despite having been out a little over a year. It's sold at least 4.8 million in the UK, which means that something like one in five homes has a legal copy. It's the type of album that people who never buy music get, so I suspect it will do well in these polls (or at least one's that ask a genuinely representative sample of the public) for many years.

All that said, it's very obvious this is neither a crafted list (so it's ridiculous to get upset and say "how can you rank X above Y") nor a representative poll and it's just a poll of visitors to the HMV website, which has allowed metal fans to fuck about with it. It's perf

• Paid Members
Another laughable list. Barely a dance, hip hop, electronic or folk release among them. Barely worth even commenting these days tbh, there's a awful list out every other week in whatever publication.

How many good British hip hop albums have come out in the last 60 years?

None. That's how many.

• Paid Members
Another laughable list. Barely a dance, hip hop, electronic or folk release among them. Barely worth even commenting these days tbh, there's a awful list out every other week in whatever publication.

None. That's how many.

Richard Blackwood misses out again :(

• Paid Members

Somewhere there's a Depeche Mode fan smugly laughing to himself about how clever he is to have submitted 6,000 votes by himself.

Can't argue with numbers 3-20 though. Seems pretty spot on and in line with what you usually see in these polls, either public ones or by music journalists. Both Number of the Beast and Violate are good albums, somewhere around the 50-70 mark though. Not the top 2.

• Moderators

None. That's how many.

Run Come Save Me is on that list, and I think it's most definitely deserving of being there.

Odd choice of Black Sabbath album to make the list. All of the other early Ozzy-era albums are better, and on a list like this I'd expect Paranoid to be the one flying the flag for Sabbath.

Archived