Best British Albums of the last 60 years

KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

It may be that the vote was from a pre-selected list and they only stuck on the best known album from each band (with two or three options for the mega groups.)

Shit ballot stuffing, BTW. 4chan would have made sure Number of the Beast got 6.66%

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many good British hip hop albums have come out in the last 60 years?

If we're including grime, Boy In Da Corner and Axiom are masterpieces. Then there's a whole lot of other great stuff from The Streets, Wiley, Jehst, Klashnekoff, Dizzee, JME. Maybe not top sixty records of all time material but they're pretty fucking good. To see Massive Attack ranked below Tinie Tempah is a bit insulting, and putting them, Dizzee, Streets and Roots in the bottom ten reeks of tokenism, especially as there's two of the only dance picks in there as well, making sure they get their quota to justify the turgid landfill indie like Kasabian that appears all over the list.

But Adele and Take That appearing on the list already qualifies it as a joke so it's not worth having a long debate over it. Elbow is top twenty five. Mumford and Sons is apparently better than The White Album. As I said, laughably bad.

If we're including grime, Boy In Da Corner and Axiom are masterpieces. Then there's a whole lot of other great stuff from The Streets, Wiley, Jehst, Klashnekoff, Dizzee, JME. Maybe not top sixty records of all time material but they're pretty fucking good. To see Massive Attack ranked below Tinie Tempah is a bit insulting, and putting them, Dizzee, Streets and Roots in the bottom ten reeks of tokenism, especially as there's two of the only dance picks in there as well, making sure they get their quota to justify the turgid landfill indie like Kasabian that appears all over the list.

But Adele and Take That appearing on the list already qualifies it as a joke so it's not worth having a long debate over it. Elbow is top twenty five. Mumford and Sons is apparently better than The White Album. As I said, laughably bad.

Yeah, but that's your opinion. I wouldn't put the likes of Muse or the fucking Stereophonics anywhere near this list, but it's a collection of people's votes. Obviously there is going to be albums you hate in it. The fact that you think Dizzee Rascal should be in the top sixty makes me want to vomit.

33. My Bloody Valentine / Loveless

If 33 = 1 then yes.

Actually surprised this was in the list, MBV seem to be one of those bands that are rated highly but often forgotten about since Kevin just vanished after the release.

Kid A better then The Bends? No.

I'm a big Radiohead fan and Kid A's my favourite album of theirs. It ages a million times better than their other electronica-driven stuff and doesn't have the weak spots they're sometimes guilty of. The Bends is ace like, I just think as the years pass it sounds more and more like a 90s guitar album. A great one, but just that. Kid A could come out tomorrow and still be awesome. Amnesiac's class and that's just half the stuff that wasn't quite up to snuff for Kid A. They absolutely took the piss around that time.

• Paid Members
I don't know anyone who thinks What's the Story is better than Definitely Maybe.

This, a hundred times this. Among the people I know, there is a fairly high number whose favourite song from Oasis comes from Morning Glory, those that can narrow it down to one, that is. However the general consensus is that start to finish the better album is Definitely Maybe. Oh, and that Be Here Now has some decent songs lost in overblown arrangement, too many samples and general overproduction.

• Paid Members

If we're including grime, Boy In Da Corner and Axiom are masterpieces

They aren't shit next to

• Paid Members
I don't know anyone who thinks What's the Story is better than Definitely Maybe.

This, a hundred times this. Among the people I know, there is a fairly high number whose favourite song from Oasis comes from Morning Glory, those that can narrow it down to one, that is. However the general consensus is that start to finish the better album is Definitely Maybe. Oh, and that Be Here Now has some decent songs lost in overblown arrangement, too many samples and general overproduction.

To be honest, I think both albums are about equal....

Yes, equally mediocre.

Kid A over The Bends isn't too much of a surprise, the production has held up and it's generally regarded as better amongst fans. Think I prefer The Bends though, just so many fucking great songs on that record, and it's paced brilliantly. Only 'Bones' and 'Sulk' stop it being an all time classic album for me. Kid A is brilliant too, of course. In Rainbows might be my overall favourite these days.

Archived