Best British Albums of the last 60 years

KingOfMetal

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm a big Radiohead fan and Kid A's my favourite album of theirs. It ages a million times better than their other electronica-driven stuff and doesn't have the weak spots they're sometimes guilty of. The Bends is ace like, I just think as the years pass it sounds more and more like a 90s guitar album. A great one, but just that. Kid A could come out tomorrow and still be awesome. Amnesiac's class and that's just half the stuff that wasn't quite up to snuff for Kid A. They absolutely took the piss around that time.

Yes, equally mediocre.

Kid A over The Bends isn't too much of a surprise, the production has held up and it's generally regarded as better amongst fans. Think I prefer The Bends though, just so many fucking great songs on that record, and it's paced brilliantly. Only 'Bones' and 'Sulk' stop it being an all time classic album for me. Kid A is brilliant too, of course. In Rainbows might be my overall favourite these days.

When I first listened to Kid A it gave me a headachce, and I didn't replay it much if at all. I'll give it another go, but pehaps 90's guitar is just more to my taste.

Never went back to Radiohead, is 'In Rainbows' more guitar based, or electronica-driven? Might have to give that a try.

As an aside question, does anyone else have albums that make them feel nauseous? Might sound like a stupid question when I read it back, but a couple of albums I only have to hear 10 seconds of, and I feel the same way as I would if I got motion sickness. Vehicles & Animals by Athlete has the same effect.

• Paid Members

Chuffed that Iron Maiden top the list (I voted heehee). Surprised to see Night at the Opera high up, my favourite Queen album is The Game and never thought much of Night at the Opera. Also surprised to see The Holy Bible is on the list, I can't say its the Manics best work. Its raw and punchy alright but the kind of thing angry teenagers should listen to, Everything Must Go had way more timeless songs on it.

• Moderators
As an aside question, does anyone else have albums that make them feel nauseous? Might sound like a stupid question when I read it back, but a couple of albums I only have to hear 10 seconds of, and I feel the same way as I would if I got motion sickness. Vehicles & Animals by Athlete has the same effect.

There is a couple songs that I have used previously as the alarm tone on my phone to wake me up - I now feel a little nauseous at the opening bars of those songs because of the strong associations.

When I first listened to Kid A it gave me a headachce, and I didn't replay it much if at all. I'll give it another go, but pehaps 90's guitar is just more to my taste.

Yeah, I think because Radiohead has such a large fanbase, any one of their albums could be named as a favourite depending on the listener's personal taste. I much prefer electronic and dance music to guitar driven rock, probably why I like Kid A so much (although I did think it was overblown, with a lot of rockists insisting it was some kind of revolutionary record because they'd never listened to much other than indie rock before). I even loved King of Limbs, it had just the kind of sound I love on a record.

Kid A is the kind of album that gets better over repeated listening, I didn't think much to it the first few times and then one day it suddenly made sense, ironically when I was playing it through tinny little laptop speakers.

Never went back to Radiohead, is 'In Rainbows' more guitar based, or electronica-driven? Might have to give that a try.

In Rainbows is kind of a mixture, a conglomeration of their various sounds since 1997. You have stuff like '15 Step' which has awesome breakbeat looped drums and a kind of urgent electronic structure, then 'Nude' which is just orchestral emotional bliss and more conventional guitar driven songs like 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place'. Fabulous record all round, very chill, very relaxed vibe and some gorgeous emotional melodies. Again, though, it might take a while to seep in, not as immediate as earlier stuff like 'Just' and 'Fake Plastic Trees', no screeching solos or riffs or massive choruses.

Similar to Chest, I had the Zed's Dead dubstep remix of 'White Satin' as my wake up tone for a couple of years and it has such bad connotations that I could never listen to it properly anymore.

Stuff like Mumford and Sons and Coldplay make me nauseous because I despise that whole brand of music, I have to turn off the TV/article/music if I hear any 'lad rock' as well, especially from cunts like The Enemy.

• Paid Members
Surprised to see Night at the Opera high up, my favourite Queen album is The Game and never thought much of Night at the Opera.

While Night at the Opera isn't my favourite you can't dispute how good of an album it is over all from a musical point of from a recognition standpoint.

The game is one of their more underwhelming overall efforts. A couple of very good songs but as a top to bottom album its far from their best In my view.

I'll say the thing you all want to say but don't have the balls to say.

Where's Robbie?

(n.b. Take That don't count)

I'll say what all music fans on the board want to say, but don't want to appear like a pretentious elitist prick;

Robbie Williams doesn't belong anywhere near a top sixty British records of all time list, and if you think he does you haven't heard enough music. That sounds absurdly condescending, but it's true. Go to RateYourMusic, scan any publication's best albums of all time list, ask anyone who is really into their music, and I guarantee nobody will call a Robbie Williams album anything other than 'average' at best.

But then you probably sing 'Let Me Entertain You' on karaoke and want 'Angels' played at your funeral. I could name five hundred British records better than anything by Robbie Williams.

I'm far from a Williams hater either, I think Knebworth was an excellent gig, and easily his finest hour.

But then you probably sing 'Let Me Entertain You' on karaoke and want 'Angels' played at your funeral. I could name five hundred British records better than anything by Robbie Williams.

You've been watching me haven't you? It's okay, I forgive you. But next time just ask big fella, okay? We could do Kids! You could be my Kylie. :love:

Archived