The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Quick CV question, what would be the more acceptable way to describe yourself at the start if you're putting in a short profile paragraph?

For example "A conscientious and enthusiastic [ _____________ ] with experience or skills in such and such.......

worker? candidate? individual? something else?

I

Oh sweet, I know stuff about this because it's my job.

Basically in terms of CVs you should tailor them individually for every job/company you are taking it to. You wouldn't fill two application forms in exactly the same, so don't do it with a CV.

Other than that the best tip I could give anyone is to quit being a pussy and get out there and speak to employers in person, ask for an informal chat about a position, take your CV or application in in person, ask for a tour of the premises, do whatever to get noticed.

• 2 months later...

Looks like I could be up for the chop next week. I work in retail and have management duties as a supervisor and as part of these duties I cash up, lock up etc. Last Saturday whilst cashing up the girl who co checked the bricks of money deposited one inside the inner safe and left the other on the side. Assuming she'd deposited them both I have signed the cash sheet to say its been deposited and carried on the close down. Somehow the cash brick was put under some paper and it wasn't found until the next day fully intact inside the locked cash office. This is deemed as gross misconduct on my part as I have signed to say it was deposited when the bint(whose duty was to count and deposit said money) only deposited the one.

This is a sackable offence however there are numerous examples of cash office policy being breeched where no or little punishment has been served out and would seem a little unfair if they were to get rid. Is there anybody around here who has any good advice/tips for this kind of situation,is there any case for proving that it was an honest mistake or is there no grey area when it comes to gross misconduct? Either way I hate my job and will leave as soon as something better comes up but it would be nice to leave on my terms.

• Paid Members

Can I get some positive energy directed my way by you guys today, please? I'm expecting a decision on a job I've applied for that I reaaaaaaaaaally want. If I get I will have finally returned to the tellybox world and can leave the sales crap behind!

• Paid Members
Looks like I could be up for the chop next week. I work in retail and have management duties as a supervisor and as part of these duties I cash up, lock up etc. Last Saturday whilst cashing up the girl who co checked the bricks of money deposited one inside the inner safe and left the other on the side. Assuming she'd deposited them both I have signed the cash sheet to say its been deposited and carried on the close down. Somehow the cash brick was put under some paper and it wasn't found until the next day fully intact inside the locked cash office. This is deemed as gross misconduct on my part as I have signed to say it was deposited when the bint(whose duty was to count and deposit said money) only deposited the one.

This is a sackable offence however there are numerous examples of cash office policy being breeched where no or little punishment has been served out and would seem a little unfair if they were to get rid. Is there anybody around here who has any good advice/tips for this kind of situation,is there any case for proving that it was an honest mistake or is there no grey area when it comes to gross misconduct? Either way I hate my job and will leave as soon as something better comes up but it would be nice to leave on my terms.

Go straight to them and say that due to a misunderstanding in the communication between you and the co-checking girl, there was a fuck up. Don't wait for them to come after you.

The aftermath will all come down to whether they treat it formally as an incident of gross misconduct, or a "make sure this doesn't happen again and we'll say no more about it".

I accidentally sent a rather sweary email to one of the branch managers instead of to my own inbox once, and because I went straight to my boss's boss (because I knew my boss would make an issue out of it), I got away with a slap on the wrist and a "Think before you press send in the future".

Edited by bAzTNM#1 Fan

• Paid Members
Can I get some positive energy directed my way by you guys today, please? I'm expecting a decision on a job I've applied for that I reaaaaaaaaaally want. If I get I will have finally returned to the tellybox world and can leave the sales crap behind!

042.jpg

http://www.positiveenergyyoga.net/default.aspx

Go straight to them and say that due to a misunderstanding in the communication between you and the co-checking girl, there was a fuck up. Don't wait for them to come after you.

The aftermath will all come down to whether they treat it formally as an incident of gross misconduct, or a "make sure this doesn't happen again and we'll say no more about it".

I accidentally sent a rather sweary email to one of the branch managers instead of to my own inbox once, and because I went straight to my boss's boss (because I knew my boss would make an issue out of it), I got away with a slap on the wrist and a "Think before you press send in future".

The investigation has been carried out and disciplinary set. They're charging me with gross misconduct and negligence that could lead to a loss to the company. It happened on the Saturday night and was discovered on the Sunday. The one saving grace i have is that they let me run a changeover all day Sunday then told me about the investigation and suspension two hours in to my shift on Tuesday so if they try to say im a liability to the company then I can question why they kept me in a position of responsibility for 2 days.

042.jpg

http://www.positiveenergyyoga.net/default.aspx

Fuck, she gets to punch me in the arm.

Positive vibes mate, and to think of what we were doing 7 years ago at this time, to be right back in the same situation together!

The one saving grace i have is that they let me run a changeover all day Sunday then told me about the investigation and suspension two hours in to my shift on Tuesday so if they try to say im a liability to the company then I can question why they kept me in a position of responsibility for 2 days.

Without wanting to piss on your chips, they might come back with saying they needed someone with the relevant authority to permit it. I know it's an easy thing to say but don't worry about getting suspended. It's common practice so that they can carry out the investigation without prejudice.

Also, it's usual that the person carrying out the investigation cant be part of any disciplinary process that may come from the investigation.

Good luck, man!

I would suggest giving ACAS a call just to talk things through and be clear on all your rights and all that jazz. Their web address is wx.acas.org.uk and there should be a phone number on there and they can talk you through things