Times you've cried over sport

AshC

I cried at Selhurst Park when Wimbledon knocked United out of the Fa Cup, Schmeichel scored an overhead kick in stoppage time to tie the game, only for it to be ruled out for offside (and rightly so), killed me as a kid though, went from jubilation of his 'goal' to realising we'd been knocked out by poxy Wimbledon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Definitely when England got knocked out by Germany in Euro '96. I got the shit kicked out of me in the playground at the time because I used to look like Gareth Southgate :/

When Carlisle were relegated from the football league....if you've never experienced this as a football fan you will never know the pain!

Seconded. When Exeter went out of the league in 2003, I was gutted.

• Paid Members
Definitely when England got knocked out by Germany in Euro '96. I got the shit kicked out of me in the playground at the time because I used to look like Gareth Southgate :/

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing at this.

I cried at loads of things when I was a kid - Sunderland getting relegated from the top flight in 1991, losing the FA Cup final to Liverpool in 92, England losing on pens to the Germans in 1990. Getting that all out of my system at an early age - and becoming so used to seeing Sunderland lose/get relegated, as well as really giving much of a toss about England in the last 20 years - have left me unable to get upset about sporting failures to the extent that I'd cry about it, and I haven't since the age of a about 10. The only time that's changed is the very last game at Roker Park. By 97 Roker was an antiquated shithole, in all honesty, but it had character, atmosphere and a ton of memories, good and bad, and I was in floods coming out of the ground for the last time.

Ipswich v Barnsley Play-Off final 2000. The only time I've cried tears of joy at a sporting moment. 4 years of play-off heartache all gone in an instant.

Ipswich V Barnsley Play-Off final 200. Fucking Martin Reuser.

Euor 96 as so many have mentioned. Lots here are around the age of thirty I would imagine - it was a sickener at the time. Moller's facial expression made me want to cave the telly in.

My mum cried when Best Mate died at Exeter racecourse.

I admit to crying when big Goran beat Rafter to win Wimbledon; still one of the best things ive seen in my life.

That was my pick too, listening to it in the car ride home, sat in the car outside my hourse for 20 minutes because I didn't want to miss a second.

And another vote for CL '99 - My best mate was the spitting image of Gunner, so when he scored, it was like my best friend had scored the winner... fantastic.

Does it count that I shed a tear watching the Senna documentary, since it was the moment of the crash?

• Paid Members

I cried when Forest lost the cup final to Spurs, and that bastard Gazza fucked his leg but should have been sent off early doors.

Also, I cried when Michael Thomas scored the winner in the 1989 Championship decider - I was so happy, I think part of the reason was that I was watching it in the chippie.

• Paid Members
EDIT: Oh and of course, getting knocked out on pens against Germany in 1996. That was when England was a country you could be proud to follow. When (almost) each member of the squad was someone who you loved and supported whoever they played for. Seaman, Adams, Pearce, Gazza, Sheringham and Shearer were heroes of mine during that period. Can't imagine many fans giving a flying fuck about many players who dont play for their team these days. Its hard to justify liking members of your own club, never mind twats from other sides.

I'm Welsh and I think that's the last England team I ever fully got behind; mind you, only being 10 at the time helped. I was behind the '98 team too, but not with any complete conviction; I must have sensed that Hoddle was going to hate on my fellow cripples.

I was five and I was obsessed with the 1986 World Cup. Lineker was my favourite and when that bastard Maradona punched the ball into the net, I couldn't understand how they could let him get away with it. The fact we lost despite throwing the kitchen sink at them at the end was too much for me to take. We were staying in a hotel in Austria watching it on what seemed like a massive TV and the waitresses were all so concerned about me. Apparently, I bawled the place down.

The other time was somewhat alcohol-related. It was April 2006 and the cup semi final between West Ham and Middlesbrough was the day after Linus' birthday. We got some of the RIM guys together (of those still UKFFing, Lister, Kenny, Bobbins and some others I'm probably forgetting) and I was absolutely fucking hammered. I pulled a bit of a rotter, we ended up in a nightclub and I was a mess. I kept lifting one of the guys up on my shoulder, I fell asleep in the nightclub, just one of those nights. I got up the next day and, for no reason, decided to go home from Northampton to London at 8am. I got home, completely hungover, starving hungry and tried to sleep it off. By game time, I was an emotional wreck. The game was reasonably tight and when Harewood scored, I went utterly mental. By the time the game finished, I had a massive adrenaline dump and started crying because I never believed we'd get to another FA Cup final in my lifetime. My mum was perplexed. I blame the massive mixing of alcohol.

Not sure if it counts as sport as such, but that Carlsberg ad they did for the last world cup, with all the famous faces, really geeing you up for it, walking to the pitch...

Then the cut away, to silence, and a picture of Bobby Robson and the words 'Do it for Bobby. First time I saw that, had a proper lump in my throat.

• Paid Members
Then the cut away, to silence, and a picture of Bobby Robson and the words 'Do it for Bobby. First time I saw that, had a proper lump in my throat.

Shame the bunch of useless twats served up about as fitting a tribute as smoking 10 packs of Silk Cut to honour Roy Castle.

Archived