Times you've cried over sport

AshC

Being a Cov fan, I've cried at lot in sport. I'd say it's more about the human emotions within the story though, such as the Derek Redmond bit. One that got me like a bastard was Darren Clarke in the Ryder Cup. Beautiful moment.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam-Warburton-Wales-v-Fra-007.jpg

Sam Warburton gets sent off just 20 minutes into the Wales v France Rugby World Cup semi final. Actually, the crying was 60 minutes later. Just one point separated the teams. One. Sodding. Point. We'd have bloody well done it if Sam was there. I was devastated. I'd imagine most Welsh rugby fans were just as devastated. For all the great play in the tournament, it seemed a shitty way to crash out.

_59143829_wales_trophy.jpg

A few months later. Sam lifts the Six Nations trophy, and Wales have secured a Grand Slam in the process, beating France of all teams in the final match. I was there, because three days earlier I'd miraculously won tickets in a Twitter giveaway from Swalec. Another tournament we'd played so well in, but this time with the reward to show for it. It was the ultimate feelgood moment.

• Paid Members
1993%20wales%201-romania%202-photo%206.JPG

Paul Bodin's penalty miss against Romania in 1993, when a win would have sent us (Wales) to the USA World Cup. Still haven't gotten over it.

i was there! i welled up after that one too, i was only 12 but i was mad into football then, i attended every home qualifier for that tournament. Wales had a great team back then.

• Paid Members

I didn't think you liked any sport Pity, other than Our Great Sport of course.

I think crying at Euro 96 is one that defines our generation, and perhaps WC98 too (although I was more angry than upset then). Since 98 though, I reckon crying over England has been replaced by that familiar feeling of disappointment.

First time was when rangers drew with cska Moscow in 93 and didn't make champions league final. That European run was my introduction to football and seeing super ally cry had me in tears

Cried at half time and full time at Scotland vrs Italy in 2007. That campaign really had me believing, every game was a massive deal to me and I wanted it soo bad.

As a Liverpool fan losing to Man Utd is one of the worse feelings ever. Losing to them from last minute goals by defenders is even worse. I think it was in 2006 amd 2008 they beat us 1-0 twice with last minute goals from Ferdinand and O Shea. Those 2 occasions had me in tears.

As for tears of joy. beating Chelsea in the Champions League semi of 2005 was the one for me.

I didn't think you liked any sport Pity, other than Our Great Sport of course.

I don't now. But I had my football phase the way a lot of normals have a wrestling phase in their youth. I had Andy Cole wallpaper.2006al7209_quad_player_2_man_utd_wallpaper.jpg

I think crying at Euro 96 is one that defines our generation, and perhaps WC98 too (although I was more angry than upset then). Since 98 though, I reckon crying over England has been replaced by that familiar feeling of disappointment.

Yeah, the day after the World Cup exit, me and a fellow Man Utd gloryhunter lad at school put up with a lot of abuse in conversations about Beckham.

i was there! i welled up after that one too, i was only 12 but i was mad into football then, i attended every home qualifier for that tournament. Wales had a great team back then.

Wales did have a great team in my era as a fan. I used to enjoy playing as them on computer games, and always wondered why they were so shit in real life when they had such top players. What was the reason?

Archived