Times you've cried over sport

AshC

• Paid Members

England getting beaten in Sweden, by Sweden in 1992. The sheer desperation after the first two crap games to be turned around after scoring first, and seeing my hero hauled off for Alan fucking Smith was too much for wee Raid. Plus I was in Jersey at the time, which didn't help.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

At the end of Alan Shearer's testimonial when a contrived penalty was set up for an injured Al to come off the bench to score one more goal. Followed by his farewell speech on the mic to a packed stadium. I couldn't speak and my bird thought I'd just found out someone had died or something. Fucking love Shearer, me.

Steve Claridge scoring the winner in the last minute of extra time for Leicester against Palace in the 1996 Play-off final. It broke my fucking heart and I still can't watch the Football League Show without wanting him to die.

In terms of tears of joy, staying up on the last day of the 2009/10 season against Sheffield Wednesday had me drained and tearful, given the nature of the draw and how the last 15 minutes played out.

After the UEFA Cup final in 2003 when Porto beat us 3-2. Sat on my street pavement as a youngster in absolute tears. Also done the same when we lost the league on the last day the next week. So much history could've been made that season and we ended up with nothing yet it is my most memorable and proud time as a Celtic fan.

Bloody hell, that's just made me realise that happened NINE years ago. Quality final, Celtic playing the role of underdog babyface perfectly - working hard, but just coming up a little short.

That final was a Larsson masterclass. Dragged the team to at least having a chance.

I've never watched it back as I'd probably burst into tears again but from what I remember, Larsson alone kept us in that game for so long.

• Paid Members

Never.

I don't follow football, and I don't think any other sport really gets those emotional responses. I think the closest I've been to having an "outburst" of some sorts was over the fuck up with the vault in the 2000 Olympic gymnastics, which injured a couple of the competitors.

only time was a couple of years ago when Hull Kingston Rovers beat the drop from Super League by steam-rolling over Hull FC. We were top after 5 games but we know it wouldn't last, and we hit awful form at home for the rest of the season. After the club had nearly gone out of business, getting to the Super League was a dream come true, to then survive against the odds, and by doing it in such a convincing fashion against the enemy meant everything. I can't even blame on it on being a youngster at the time, I was 23

93 Fa cup semi against Arsenal.

87 final against Coventry.

I also cry when we win so the league cup final against Chelsea, the semi against Wimbledon, the final against Leicester and the 5-1 against arsenal spring to mind.

I like crying over Spurs, proves im a real idiot.

• Paid Members
After the UEFA Cup final in 2003 when Porto beat us 3-2. Sat on my street pavement as a youngster in absolute tears. Also done the same when we lost the league on the last day the next week. So much history could've been made that season and we ended up with nothing yet it is my most memorable and proud time as a Celtic fan.

Bloody hell, that's just made me realise that happened NINE years ago. Quality final, Celtic playing the role of underdog babyface perfectly - working hard, but just coming up a little short.

That final was a Larsson masterclass. Dragged the team to at least having a chance.

I've never watched it back as I'd probably burst into tears again but from what I remember, Larsson alone kept us in that game for so long.

Yeah, it's one of the greatest performances you'll see from a striker. He ran the show for Celtic, whilst creating chances for himself.

I was delighted he got some cosmic goodwill when he came on in the CL final and dragged Barca to the win. Larsson was different class.

I'm glad when he left us he proved he could do it at the top level. Used to hate when people would say that it was cause he was playing in Scotland, always knew he could do it at any of the top clubs.

Yeah, it's one of the greatest performances you'll see from a striker. He ran the show for Celtic, whilst creating chances for himself.

I was delighted he got some cosmic goodwill when he came on in the CL final and dragged Barca to the win. Larsson was different class.

Remember watching that final in Uni with my Celtic supporting mate and his Rangers supporting girlfriend. She was cracking up at us as all night we were going on about how Larsson would change/win the game for Barcelona if he came on. She even said when he came on, watch now while he proves you two wrong...needless to say we celebrated as if he was actually winning the thing for Celtic when Eto'o and Beletti (?) scored.

I don't know if I've ever actually cried over the result of a sports match or anything (heart of stone me :p ), but I have got emotional a couple of times. Jose Maria Olazabal's speech when he gave Seve Ballesteros that BBC Sports Personality Lifetime Achievement Award a couple of years back was pretty tough, and the half hour either side of the announcement of Dan Wheldon's death last year really got me as well.

Archived