Times you've cried over sport

AshC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lot of everton moments here, none full blown tears like but definately lump in throat

losing the derby on my 18th birthday, which also happened to be my first one

beating newcastle to clinch 4th spot, listening to the liverpool result in work the next day almost set me off

losing to united in 03 which would have got us into europe with a win, van nistelrooy dived for the pen that won it and the mancs got the trophy presented to them on the hallowed turf to boot

losing to fiorentina on pens in 08 after we battered them in the second leg, got so drunk that night i barely made into college the next day

losing the cup final in 09 after scoring early

the 5-10 minutes v coventry in 98 where barmby missed the pen that would have put us 2-0 up only for dublin to equalise, i was convinced that bolton were going to score at chelsea

losing the semi final a couple of weeks ago after leading, my first game at wembley. just wanted to cry so much that day but couldn't from tiredness

• Paid Members

Denman's 2008 Gold Cup win for me. From the moment Ruby Walsh started to ride Kauto Star to try and close on him before 2 out to the finish when Denman won. This may have been induced bt 2 things, I was recovering from a car accident and on lots of pain medication and I had had quite a sizeable ante post bet on him before he had even jumped a fence in public

• Paid Members

I cried when Eric Cantona retired. Eric wasn't just a footballer. He was completely out of this world when it came to footballers. He was unlike anyone I'd ever seen before. It was like someone was writing the career he had. He was just there when you needed him most. His goal against Newcastle in 1996 was up there with the Sheringham equalizer and the Solksjaer winner in 99. Hearing Eric was retiring was a heart wrencher.

The tears were welling up when John Terry stepped up to win the penalty shoot out for Chelsea as well. I dont think I'd have gotten over that one even now if that cock sucker would have nestled the ball past Edwin Van Der Saw. The good guys do win sometimes though.

I always shed a single tear when Frank Bruno was left on the floor when Tyson took him apart in 1996. Horrible scenes.

EDIT: Oh and of course, getting knocked out on pens against Germany in 1996. That was when England was a country you could be proud to follow. When (almost) each member of the squad was someone who you loved and supported whoever they played for. Seaman, Adams, Pearce, Gazza, Sheringham and Shearer were heroes of mine during that period. Can't imagine many fans giving a flying fuck about many players who dont play for their team these days. Its hard to justify liking members of your own club, never mind twats from other sides.

a lot of everton moments here, none full blown tears like but definately lump in throat

Yeah, that's what i'm wondering, are people actually talking about turning on the waterworks over the sake of bad results in sport? That's mad.

and the half hour either side of the announcement of Dan Wheldon's death last year really got me as well.

That's the last time I properly cried. Wheldon was a driver who I had always kept an eye on in US motorsport and when the Indy 500 rolled around every year, he was the guy I would be rooting for. When he won the race last year, it was a brilliant moment for the guy who couldn't get a full time drive to win one of the biggest races in motorsport. The race in Las Vegas was the first time I've seen a fatal accident, and the two hour wait for any sort of news was bad enough. When they announced that he had died, I was incredibly close to tears. When the remaining drivers did that 5 lap tribute with the bagpipes playing Amazing Grace in the background, it set me off and I was going for a good 15 minutes or so.

Throw in Simoncelli dying a week later in MotoGP and it was a shitty week to be a fan of motorsport.

• Paid Members

Leicester Tigers vs Saracens, 2010 Guinness Premiership final. Was there with my other half, it was about her 3rd live rugby match after we'd got together about 6 months earlier. Absolutely stunning game, with some incredible rugby played and some very memorable tries from both sides. Glen Jackson had just put Saracens ahead after about 76 minutes, then straight from the restart Scott Hamilton was off the line like a rocket to grab the ball and offload to Dan Hipkiss, who battered through the Saracens line, including awesomely no-selling a neck tackle, to charge over and grab the winning score. We were at the side of the pitch near the try line, so we were in prime position to see it all, and it was just a sea of green, red and white jumping up and down, me and the missus hugging in the middle.

That wasn't what turned on the waterworks, though - that happened when Geoff Parling snatched their line-out on 80 minutes to deny them one last attack, Ben Youngs booted the ball into touch and Lewis Moody, after his last game for us, sank to his knees at the side of the pitch. He'd been there since I'd been watching rugby and seeing crazy old Mad Dog break down like that just tipped me over the edge. I was blubbing as we lifted that trophy.

I seriously recommend watching all of this video if you're a rugby fan (hell, track down the full 80 minutes if you can), but here's

Oh, also, the 2001 Heineken Cup final against Stade Francais with Leon Lloyd's late try. My first big rugby trip, to Paris on a coach with my dad, his friend Mike (who's practically an uncle to me), and my cousin Ed (who's my actual cousin, his dad would've been there too if he hadn't passed away a few years earlier), and an awesome game with an awesome ending. Those two very similar results will always stick with me. Paris was extra sweet because the *neutral* Parc Des Princes was literally across the road from Stade's home ground. In fact, I think they've played home HC games at the place since.

• Paid Members

Sorry if the audio is a bit odd. No sound here.

Great find, bAz. I remember watching this live. I think I was watching it with my mum and I'm sure she said something like, "Why's he just come on to help him?" to which I bawled the reply, "BECAUSE HE WANTS TO FINISH!"

and the half hour either side of the announcement of Dan Wheldon's death last year really got me as well.

That's the last time I properly cried. Wheldon was a driver who I had always kept an eye on in US motorsport and when the Indy 500 rolled around every year, he was the guy I would be rooting for. When he won the race last year, it was a brilliant moment for the guy who couldn't get a full time drive to win one of the biggest races in motorsport. The race in Las Vegas was the first time I've seen a fatal accident, and the two hour wait for any sort of news was bad enough. When they announced that he had died, I was incredibly close to tears. When the remaining drivers did that 5 lap tribute with the bagpipes playing Amazing Grace in the background, it set me off and I was going for a good 15 minutes or so.

Throw in Simoncelli dying a week later in MotoGP and it was a shitty week to be a fan of motorsport.

Ditto, and the day Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona

• Paid Members

Sorry if the audio is a bit odd. No sound here.

Great find, bAz. I remember watching this live. I think I was watching it with my mum and I'm sure she said something like, "Why's he just come on to help him?" to which I bawled the reply, "BECAUSE HE WANTS TO FINISH!"

Why did I click on that? I knew exactly how I would react. :(

Archived