WWF Magazine

AshC

My first WWF magazine was the July 1999 issue from a local newsagents near us, walked in, saw it and was like "Wow! They sell wrestling magazines!" I'd only just recently got into WWF in a big way so to see they had a magazine that I could read got my interest.

wwf1999-07.jpg

First Raw one was the October 1999 one, think that was from the same newsagents and coincidentally that had The Rock on the front cover too.

raw1999-10.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to love WWE magazine, and then SD and Raw when it felt more Kayfabey and less a lifestyle magazine featuring WWE guys. Would really enjoy the PPV recaps even if they were old, and The Informer article.

This one got the eleven year old me completely crazy-excited for the invasion

wwfmagjune11.jpg

JWF-890.jpg

This was the first one I got and continued to do so (out of habit/not wanting to break the collection) until my son was born in 2002 when I realised that I had different priorities.

Bought it in Asda Morecambe on our way to Morecambe Pontins for a week's holiday. It had a banner on that said 'Special UK Edition' and I was convinced it was the first one released over here but don't think it actually was.

I remember the McMahon one aswell, that got me super psyched for the invasion too, I remember going to see if they had the new issue out and seeing that on the rack and thinking how amazing it looked and how much I couldn't wait to read about what was going on with the invasion and just being absolutely crazy about what was going to happen. Think I was about 12 when that one was out, the whole invasion was one of the greatest storylines I remember watching as a kid, looking back I know it could have been done better but to give them their due I think it was done quite well, possibly as good as they could have done it with what they had at the time. But yeah definetly the cover of some of the magazines if they focused on a big storyline or event going on at the time made the magazine so much more better and made me feel I needed it. Some of my fondest childhood memories were when I'd get the special WrestleMania issue around the time that year's WrestleMania would be getting all hyped up and it'd only be a few weeks or even days away. I remember sitting out in the sun one year reading through one of them and just being absolutely estatic waiting for WrestleMania, I think it may have actually been the Sunday it was on come to think of it.

Bought it in Asda Morecambe on our way to Morecambe Pontins for a week's holiday. It had a banner on that said 'Special UK Edition' and I was convinced it was the first one released over here but don't think it actually was.

I wonder what the Special UK Edition meant. It always used to be that the American magazine just had Canada and UK prices under the American one, didn't it? When I started buying it in 1991, all the ads inside were American. In about 1996, they started those UK-only inserts with the UK merch catalogue and Gorilla Monsoon asking fans to write in grassing if Brian Dixon was advertising Undertaker and Legion of Doom. But the ads in the main body of the mag were still for American stuff, I think. Nowadays, I'm pretty sure a lot of the actual content of the UK edition is different from the US mag. Based on the couple of times I've bought it in the last year, anyway. The wording is very British English and feels odd in an official WWE magazine.

JWF-891.jpg

Though I got a letter printed in the Goldust issue in the original post.

This was my first, not sure what my parents thought when I pinned up the triangle of terror, Slaughter, Adnan and Sheik with their iraqi flags emblazoned on their chests. My greatest memory of the mag is finding out about Bret Harts world title win from it. Having no access to Sky, must have seen the magazine just before Survivor Series which I persuaded a mate to record.

Got Oct 96 edition in front of me. Features an article "Rookies to Legends" featuring Freddie Joe Flloyd, T.L. Hopper, Salvatore Sincere, Who, Goon and Alex "Pug" Porteau.

I own every issue of WWF magazine from 1990-2002 and every issue of Raw magazine for its entire run. I think with WWF magazine around 98 I grew tired of the format and only continued to buy out of habbit but would rarely read through a complete issue. Raw magazine was a far better read and was always aimed at the more "mature" fan, and ya had to love those Sable and Sunny photo spreads! :thumbsup:

wwf1990-05.jpg

There were pictures of Earthquake attacking Hulk Hogan on the Brother Love show but the pictures didn't match up with what I saw on televison. I cant recall exactly what it was but there was definately something different, now I assume the pictures where taken specifically for the magazine before the actual angle took place. In my 13 year old mind I just assumed that Earthquake attacked Hogan TWICE, once when these pictures were taken and again on the tele.

• Paid Members
Raw magazine was a far better read and was always aimed at the more "mature" fan, and ya had to love those Sable and Sunny photo spreads! :thumbsup:

Very true. I was once getting home from some weekend away, I forget where, to find my first Raw mag had been delivered. It had a Sable photoshoot with the following centerfold :

renamero13ss.jpg

I told my parents I was very tired, and was getting an early night. The magazine's cover was of Vader's bloody face, giving my parents no reason to suspect that I was actually adjourning early to wank myself senseless. At least, I hope not.

Raw magazine was a far better read and was always aimed at the more "mature" fan, and ya had to love those Sable and Sunny photo spreads! :thumbsup:

Very true. I was once getting home from some weekend away, I forget where, to find my first Raw mag had been delivered. It had a Sable photoshoot with the following centerfold :

renamero13ss.jpg

I told my parents I was very tired, and was getting an early night. The magazine's cover was of Vader's bloody face, giving my parents no reason to suspect that I was actually adjourning early to wank myself senseless. At least, I hope not.

Yep that issue was a favourite of mine, definitely got my monies worth there!

• Paid Members

April_1999_-_Vol_18_No_4.jpg

That was mine. I remember getting it from the newsagents down town. Am I right in thinking these were the magazines that had shit loads of adverts in them of like wrestling figures and stuff? I remember always being fascinated by the figures out there as a kid.

This was my first. Bought it from Martin's newsagents in the Bridges:

[6401915c143473fd174710a563d9cb60_view.jpg

I take it some of the magazines articles written in advance, because as far as I can recall the Undertaker - Nailz feud did not take place.

Quick question about that pic? The article about Sgt. Slaughter being head official? Is that about him working backstage? I don't ever recall seeing Sarge as an official until 1997 (in the same manner in which you used to see Pat Patterson and Jay Strongbow etc)

Archived