Former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik to make his wrestling debut in the ring

ClassicsGuy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that clip's horrible. Not so much as a reflection on the promotion of course but the fan laughing along and making prickish comments either makes the whole thing look like a complete and utter joke or the crowd sound like scum. The chant of "we want more" is pretty awkrawd viewing too. And while it was obviously a success, which is fantastic, the ring announcer requesting an oxygen mask while St John's were doing their stuff seems pretty silly. I don't get the logic behind that at all. It seems like he's either telling the St John's crew how to do their stuff or relaying a message from them to a member of the general public to grab an oxygen mask, neither makes much sense. I know that's such a tiny thing but it really bugged me.

Anywho, what I really wanted to comment on before I saw that clip, was how it was good to see someone trying to use a celebrity rather than a fly in. This obviously gets way more attention. Is Opik the heel or the blue eyes in all this?

The guy is laughing at Lembit not the promotion. He's obviously there to see him get his ass beat, hence the chant. Although the video is shoddy I thought It was brilliant. There are so many photographers about, the place is sold out (only 180 but sold out) and everybody is loud. I'd kinda agree with the announcer but I think It adds to the drama also. He didn't do much but I imagine that's the point and follow it on in some bigger capacity.

The guy is laughing at Lembit not the promotion. He's obviously there to see him get his ass beat, hence the chant. Although the video is shoddy I thought It was brilliant. There are so many photographers about, the place is sold out (only 180 but sold out) and everybody is loud. I'd kinda agree with the announcer but I think It adds to the drama also. He didn't do much but I imagine that's the point and follow it on in some bigger capacity.

I did say it doesn't reflect on the promotion. The ring announcer really took me out of it to be honest. Less would have been a hell of a lot more there (when I say that I just mean the announcing).

• Paid Members

The video is hard to watch. But agree with the above comments less would be more and a squash by Brodus Clay or such like would've been so much better.

I completely agree with you about the announcer. He's a local guy who helps me promote that show, but he absolutely wrecked it. I was trying to get him to shut up but as I was in the ring so it was hard to get the message to him. He'sj ust a pain in the arse! I do think it all went well, and although a lot of people were booing Lembit, there was a section supporting him too, I even got started on outside the hall by an angry punter who blamed me for Lembit's injuries!

The main thing is though, the national media ate it up, and I don't care what anyone says, and i'm not being arrogant when I say this, but we at Welsh Wrestling, not just me but all the boys who bust their balls in that ring for me, deserve this for all our hard work. There's certain people in certain 'councils' who'd kill to have this media attention, they can only dream of making several national newspapers, being discussed on programmes such as The Wright Stuff, be on the global BBC News website and have a participant on one of their shows trending on Twitter. I'm not looking for a tap on the back, I just feel the need to point this out becase certain 'council' members said last year, and I quote "it's guys like Ravenhill who are killing British wrestling". So with that being said, The BWC can kiss my arse >> BBC News

• Paid Members
_47264684_father_ted_226x282.jpg
... but I eventually escaped from his headlock. And where are you now, Father Eamonn Hunter? Working with some pygmies in the South Seas. And where am I? Accepting a Golden Cleric Award for being a top priest...

_47264684_father_ted_226x282.jpg
... but I eventually escaped from his headlock. And where are you now, Father Eamonn Hunter? Working with some pygmies in the South Seas. And where am I? Accepting a Golden Cleric Award for being a top priest...

Haha, classic!

Congratulations on the pub! Can you keep us up to date with how the houses are on the next few shows? I'd love to know if this makes a difference locally.

It wont make a difference this week due to the jubilee etc and all the advertising already being done for these shows. However when we used Lembit in April, a few of the shows afterwards the local media used that story as an excuse to put us in the paper, which I do believe helped us quite a bit.

Archived