Former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik to make his wrestling debut in the ring

ClassicsGuy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a fantastic move.

Just goes to show that you can try all sorts ('proper fueds', this Council nonsense, etc), but what makes the press and public take notice of UK wrestling is the involvement of celebrities.

• Awards Moderator
What a fantastic move.

Just goes to show that you can try all sorts ('proper fueds', this Council nonsense, etc), but what makes the press and public take notice of anything is the involvement of celebrities.

Slight alteration to your post there. We live in a celebrity-obsessed culture and with the right person you can achieve more awareness than you could with almost anything else. There's a reason WWE brings in the Donald Trumps, Maria Menounoses and so on, and massive credit to Ravenhill for not only finding a celeb with tabloid interest who's willing to commit to a multi-show angle, but for achieving all this national attention with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just over two weeks now until Lembit Opik steps foot into the ring for Welsh Wrestling at Welshpool Town Hall, in a tag match against Kade Callous. And with Lembit continually slating Kade on national radio, and on TV interviews, including most recently on a Dubai news programme, Kade has sent Lembit a direct message via his youtube channel:

As for the Welshpool show, we've unfortunately had to lower the amount of seats available to the public to 248. This is because of the amount of media confirmed to be attending. When this first took place I expected quite a bit of media attention, maybe a national newspaper here or there. But thus far i've had the BBC, ITV, S4C, Daily Star, The Sun, The Mirror and many other publications enquire and confirm their attendance at the show. I'm starting to wish I moved it to a bigger venue!

• Paid Members

As for the Welshpool show, we've unfortunately had to lower the amount of seats available to the public to 248. This is because of the amount of media confirmed to be attending. When this first took place I expected quite a bit of media attention, maybe a national newspaper here or there. But thus far i've had the BBC, ITV, S4C, Daily Star, The Sun, The Mirror and many other publications enquire and confirm their attendance at the show. I'm starting to wish I moved it to a bigger venue!

Good going! Hopefully a bit of exposure for you, and then you can start to run those bigger venues ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder, this show takes place on saturday.

Also had the editor of The Daily Mail call me today, confirming they will be there. As some of you will know, combined with online reach and newspaper circulation, The Daily Mail is the biggest newspaper in the world. Also had the German national newspaper Suddeutsche Zeitung call me today saying they're going to cover it, I found that a bit random.

Anyway if you don't get a ticket...remember to get the Sunday newspapers :thumbsup:

• Moderators
Super stuff. Good to see wrestling in Wales get some proper media coverage. Try and blag S4C into putting it back on telly!

I've actually been in touch with a well known S4C actor whose more than happy to host a new Reslo programme.

Me and GarYnysMon said we'd commentate on it YEEEEEEEEEARS ago on this forum. Granted, no-one asked us or anything.

Any chance of a hint to the identity of the actor?

Super stuff. Good to see wrestling in Wales get some proper media coverage. Try and blag S4C into putting it back on telly!

I've actually been in touch with a well known S4C actor whose more than happy to host a new Reslo programme.

Me and GarYnysMon said we'd commentate on it YEEEEEEEEEARS ago on this forum. Granted, no-one asked us or anything.

And I think I remember accepting your initial offer if it ever happened.

His first name is Aled...I honestly can't remember his second name, but he's well thought of by S4C.

And I think I remember accepting your initial offer if it ever happened.

His first name is Aled...I honestly can't remember his second name, but he's well thought of by S4C.

Aled Pugh?

Archived