Former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik to make his wrestling debut in the ring

ClassicsGuy

Obviously getting a load of free publicity is always good, but I wonder what (if any) the longer-term effects will be.

It's not like they have a TV show that people now might go and watch, because they read about it in the paper or saw it on the news. I will be interested to see if attendance figures rise in both the short and long terms.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously getting a load of free publicity is always good, but I wonder what (if any) the longer-term effects will be.

It's not like they have a TV show that people now might go and watch, because they read about it in the paper or saw it on the news. I will be interested to see if attendance figures rise in both the short and long terms.

To be honest it's having the exact effect that I planned for. Most people would be doing something like this to impress the BBC, ITV, or any other mainstream media outlet. However, from the start all I ever wanted to do was get the local media in Wales interested, and it worked.

The BBC, ITV etc are not going to help promote my shows really, i'd be deluded to believe they would. However, the Glamorgan Gazette, South Wales Evening Post, County Times, Tenby Observer, Cambrian News, Rhondda Leader, Wales On Sunday etc etc have all fallen in love with the story and have all guaranteed us that they'll do a big editorial piece when we're next in their area. So basically this story has given me free advertising in all the local newspapers in Wales, which to me, is far more valuable than making the BBC News, The Sun or the Daily Mail. Hopefully in turn this will help boost attendances, and after giving the fans a good fun entertaining wrestling show, they'll keep on coming back year after year.

Another thing i'd like to point out though, and this has been said to me by many of my peers in British wrestling, that no matter what the outcome is with all this media attention, one thing that is good is that we have portrayed professional wrestling in a good light. Not one of the newspapers who covered the story has mocked wrestling, and for a business that is continuously mocked worldwide by mainstream media, that in itself is an achievement.

Good to hear it.

I imagine a big part of the problem for local wrestling shows is getting the local papers to simple give a shit in the first place, and by having a nice juicy national story for them, it gets their attention (and hopefully keeps it).

It's a shame you didn't manage to hold the event in question in a larger/smarter venue though. By the sounds of it you'd have had little trouble drawing a larger audience (you could have even had a full-on Press Section :) )

Good to hear it.

I imagine a big part of the problem for local wrestling shows is getting the local papers to simple give a shit in the first place, and by having a nice juicy national story for them, it gets their attention (and hopefully keeps it).

It's a shame you didn't manage to hold the event in question in a larger/smarter venue though. By the sounds of it you'd have had little trouble drawing a larger audience (you could have even had a full-on Press Section :) )

We have got something planned for the future, in a much bigger and smarter venue. So hoping it all goes to plan.

Archived