Former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik to make his wrestling debut in the ring

ClassicsGuy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

"Peter Staniforth came out for one last time, to thank everyone for what had been a wonderful evening; but was caught out and totally surprised by his sister in law Jennie who pointed out that Peter's birthday was in a few days time and told Peter to get up in the ring; and the crowd sang Happy Birthday loudly as a very emotional Peter stood there in the middle of the ring smiling"

Sensational.

Crazy in work today i was talking about wrestling and a work mate of mine started talking about lembit opik wrestling and how he didn't know there was a british wrestling scene. This lembit thing is probably the biggest media attention britwres has gotten in decades!!!

It's been unavoidable. I've seen it everywhere, might help that I live in Wales but I think it's got more coverage than anything else Alex Shane or anyone has put together.

• Paid Members

You have done a cracking job with this Mr Ravenhill. I heard Lembit on TalkSport shilling this as well. Hawksbee and Jacobs love the wrestling and they talked about this quite a lot, it was even one of the text in subjects. What should Lembit's wrestling name be? It came across very well

As we speak, we've actually got several national newspapers trying to convince us to give them exclusive coverage of the story. And the BBC One Show have enquired about it.

Also, in a surreal twist, I just had Vic Reeves drunkenly shouting over the phone his support for Lembit!!

The biggest obstacle for us is actually Lembit, and the fact he doesn't hold the relevent armband to wrestle :laugh:

"Peter Staniforth came out for one last time, to thank everyone for what had been a wonderful evening; but was caught out and totally surprised by his sister in law Jennie who pointed out that Peter's birthday was in a few days time and told Peter to get up in the ring; and the crowd sang Happy Birthday loudly as a very emotional Peter stood there in the middle of the ring smiling"

Sensational.

Seriously guys, that was 2008, and I was (trying) to work as a face, and....ohhhh, what the hey. The irony is I turned heel the following week... anyway, I can only say it wasn't as bad as it sounds! Jay's a great lad to be honest, and it amuses me that nearly four years on, this has got some attention.

Staying on topic, as this topic sure as hell isn't about me, or all things past PTW; this Lembit Opik situation is genius, and I credit those responsible, it's a great way to get some mainstream attention.

• Paid Members

Reading through that PTW report, I came across a sentence that genuinely made me need to put my laptop down for a sec and take some deep breaths before I was okay with the world again:

* In an intergender match, the popular Aphrodite defeated Mikey The Pikey

Also:

After the match, a furious Duffy was enraged and angered at the taunts from the crowd; and this lead Jamie Borthwick to slap him round the face - HARD - to the hilarity of everyone in attendance.

TO THE HILARITY OF EVERYONE IN ATTENDANCE

And yes, credit to Staniforth for an unusually reasonable response. I suggest he adopts that as a permanent posting style.

Reading through that PTW report, I came across a sentence that genuinely made me need to put my laptop down for a sec and take some deep breaths before I was okay with the world again:

* In an intergender match, the popular Aphrodite defeated Mikey The Pikey

Also:

After the match, a furious Duffy was enraged and angered at the taunts from the crowd; and this lead Jamie Borthwick to slap him round the face - HARD - to the hilarity of everyone in attendance.

TO THE HILARITY OF EVERYONE IN ATTENDANCE

And yes, credit to Staniforth for an unusually reasonable response. I suggest he adopts that as a permanent posting style.

Contrary to semi popular belief, I'm getting a bit older, and a bit mellower in my old age; and am not looking to take on the world as much or as abrasively, as I used to. I'm kind of glad you guys noticed it, if I'm honest. Though go gentle on the bloke who wrote the results/press releases for PTW at the time, the blonde highlights he had at the time clearly affected his writing ability. I hear his writing ability has probably improved a bit now that he shaves his head ;)

Archived