Former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik to make his wrestling debut in the ring

ClassicsGuy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...e-wrestler.html

Former Lib Dem MP, Lembit Opik (that geeky-looking fella who used to date one of the Cheeky Girls) is now involved in a U.K. wrestling promotion, and actually makes his debut as a wrestler in a match on June 2 in Welshpool.

article-2130096-129A6C63000005DC-768_634x460.jpg

article-2130096-129A6E26000005DC-952_634x703.jpg

Video of the angle on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...=xEqzNk2qUNU#ws

Opik has got to be the most random celebrity involved in wrestling ever.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never get tired of punching Lembit Opik.

For a career attention-seeker who had a relationship with a Cheeky Girl and faked another with an underwear model for publicity, wrestling seems a perfect fit for him. If more fans feel the way I do about him, it could be an inspired move, in a K-Fed sort of way. As it's Brit Wres and a dishwater politician though, I'm hedging my bets and saying it will probably be shit.

As it's Brit Wres and a dishwater politician though, I'm hedging my bets and saying it will probably be shit.

It won't, as it's Ravenhill. If it was a kid or a money mark promoting it, maybe. But it isn't.

As it's Brit Wres and a dishwater politician though, I'm hedging my bets and saying it will probably be shit.

It won't, as it's Ravenhill. If it was a kid or a money mark promoting it, maybe. But it isn't.

Fair enough, but using 'celebrities' well is still a very tricky thing to get right even for a good wrestling promotion. The K-Fed example I used shows how good it can be when it goes right, but on the other hand you have examples like Master P, David Arquette, and those random American footballers and NASCAR blokes who turn up on TNA every now and then. I reckon they'll have their work cut out trying to wring some charisma out of Opik.

Get George Galloway in as a heel manager, and then you'd be talking. Great natural heel, promo skills to burn, and 'Loser wears a cat costume' matches all over the place.

Get George Galloway in as a heel manager, and then you'd be talking. Great natural heel, promo skills to burn, and 'Loser wears a cat costume' matches all over the place.

I'd be well up for this! Could wrestling handle a third Gorgeous George though? ;-)

• Paid Members
Well done ravenhill, thats quite a coup. Opik may be z-list celebrity but he's one the media love writing about.

Surely if the press like writing about him he's not a z-lister? I don't recall Staniforth getting much coverage when Jay from Eastenders did something.

Archived